Inexpensive Trekking Pole / Walking Stick With Camera Mount?

RonHarrison

You're looking for a camera monopod?

Are you looking for something to bare some weight or just a prodding stick that can mount a camera? If the later, a cheap monopod would do the trick. I have a cheap Optex T5 that I bought from Black's for around $25 CAD. It's a camera monopod (colapseable) and is not meant to lean on or for hiking really.

Check out this one for $18.50! Collapsable, rubber tip covers a carbide tip for winter, snow basket, camera mount, even a compass and thermometer.

Lee Valley has been selling great gardening and woodworking tools for years.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.aspx?c...1,52925&p=52925

Check you local Target store.

I found some for $15.00.

Collapsable, rubber tip cover & carbide tip, snow basket. No camera mount or compass tho.

Trial tested, they are fine.

Nick

Check out this one for $18.50! Collapsable, rubber tip covers a carbide tip for winter, snow basket, camera mount, even a compass and thermometer.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.aspx?c...1,52925&p=52925

Thank you, Woodbutcher68! I have one ordered and will stop back here and let everyone know what I think of the quality!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Thanks, all!

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.aspx?c...925&p=52925

Thank you, Woodbutcher68! I have one ordered and will stop back here and let everyone know what I think of the quality!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Thanks, all!

Thanks to Woodbutcher68, I stopped by Lee Valley this afternoon and picked one up. I've been looking for an inexpensive hiking stick for a while, and this fit the bill. Seems to be pretty sturdy. Haven't had a chance to try it out in the field yet.

Scott

That really is an inexpensive price. I'm curious as to how strong the adjustments locks are when you set the length. After tightening it up, lean on it to check slippage. Any?

Also, how does the metal hold up? Does it seem like it can hold your weight when you have to really lean on it let's say when going downhill?

Keep in touch with your results.

That really is an inexpensive price. I'm curious as to how strong the adjustments locks are when you set the length. After tightening it up, lean on it to check slippage. Any?

Also, how does the metal hold up? Does it seem like it can hold your weight when you have to really lean on it let's say when going downhill?

Keep in touch with your results.

I don't know if any telescopic aluminum poles will hold up to a wooden stick. Then again, I don't have any others to compare to. I'm sure I could break this if I leaned on it hard at an angle. Especially the more it's extended. Would it break my fall? I don't think so. I'm 6'3", 240lbs. :lol: I guess it would also depend on how I used it to break my fall.

I brought our bathroom scale down for a test. I extended the pole to around walking cane length so I could lean straight down on it. I gradually increased the weight on it to see when and if the pole connections would slip. Assuming that my bathroom scale is accurate, I put about 80lbs of downward force on it without any slippage. I'd be surprised if it didn't slip at 100lbs though, but I didn't feel like testing that theory. :wub:

I still haven't tested it out on a hike, but I'm looking forward to it. Maybe this weekend. For my purposes -- helping to keep my balance going up or down a steep hill, walking over fallen trees and logs, and poking into dark places, I think it'll do. If not, the $22 didn't kill me and I'll look for a wooden stick/staff. I really like portability though.

Scott

Actually took my Lee Valley Telescoping Hiking Stick out for a couple of caches today. I'm 6' 1" and 250 lbs. I put more stress on this thing messing around than I think most will on an entire day of caching. It amazed me. No slippage at all.

The ultimate proof of this thing's worth... ...the 3-year old and 8-year old drug the thing around a good bit today too and didn't manage to destroy it!

Can't beat this quality at this price. That's my call!