Want To Buy Mapsource Topo Great Britain

Hi there,

we'll be passing our honeymoon in England & Scotland in the middle of August. I'm still searching for a cheap way to purchase the Mapsource Topo DVD of Great Britain. Does any of you guys sell his/her? I don't mind if there is only one free license code left, as long as the prize is alright.

Greetings from Germany,

Jan

I haven't used the official Topo product, but I think this offered pretty comparable coverage for free:

http://www.smc.org.uk/books/books_contour_maps.htm

It's only the contours*, and it takes a bit of work to install but is worth it.

However you wont get any roads etc from it, but if you have metroguide and/or city navigator/select then your covered anyway.

* The contours are possibly slightly lower resolution as they are derived from satellite data rather than OS data, but the difference is minimal, and the free one as been pretty much spot on whereever I've used it.

I haven't used the official Topo product, but I think this offered pretty comparable coverage for free:

http://www.smc.org.uk/books/books_contour_maps.htm

It's only the contours*, and it takes a bit of work to install but is worth it.

However you wont get any roads etc from it, but if you have metroguide and/or city navigator/select then your covered anyway.

* The contours are possibly slightly lower resolution as they are derived from satellite data rather than OS data, but the difference is minimal, and the free one as been pretty much spot on whereever I've used it.

I entirely agree - the SMC maps are a superb compromise and the contours seem pretty good to us.

One thing I will note though, I believe (I don't actually know, 'cos we haven't used it) that TOPO also has some footpaths. From what we heard though, TOPO only has the major ones and you can't rely on them to be in the right place... In our experience, there is no way of getting a cheap legitimate version of TOPO (which needs unlock codes) and if you are only coming for a holiday and you have metroguide I'd recommend SMC.

Bambi.

Edit to add: There are also a number of free maps available for the UK other places including Europe from mapcenter.

Edited by Bambi&Thumper