Slightly Ot...

We are looking for a map overlay for a Garmin GPS, with all the trigpoints on it - does anyone know if such a thing exists? Or are we gonna have to make one?

Now, before we go any further, we know SMC maps include trigs, but these are only pillar trigs and we want them all :D Also, we know that you can download a .gpx file with them all from T:UK, but we are looking for map overlays so that they don't clutter up our waypoint list and more importantly take up space that could be used for caches... :P

Any help aquiring one of these or making one greatfully recieved!

Bambi.

We are looking for a map overlay for a Garmin GPS, with all the trigpoints on it - does anyone know if such a thing exists? Or are we gonna have to make one?

Now, before we go any further, we know SMC maps include trigs, but these are only pillar trigs and we want them all :D Also, we know that you can download a .gpx file with them all from T:UK, but we are looking for map overlays so that they don't clutter up our waypoint list and more importantly take up space that could be used for caches... :P

Any help aquiring one of these or making one greatfully recieved!

Bambi.

The Garmin Topo maps include trig points, so you wouldn't need to use waypoint space if you had that.

The Garmin Topo maps include trig points, so you wouldn't need to use waypoint space if you had that.

Does that include FBMs, active stations, bolts etc, or just pillars?

In any case, we were were trying to avoid stumping up for that because we've already paid for MetroGuide Europe (well, it was a gift actually) and can get contours free from the Scottish Mountaineering club. But if it includes everything it might be worth looking on that e-place...

Thanks,

Bambi.

Does that include FBMs, active stations, bolts etc, or just pillars?

Sorry... as I don't have Topo I can't aswer that. All I can say is that it does have the pillars shown on the map.

Making one should be fairly easy (I plan to have a go anyway at some-point) you will just need a few tools to create the maps:

GPSmapedit - which will read the GPX and/or mapsource files downloaded from T:UK and output Polish Format.

cGPSmapper - which will read Polish format and write a img file, also includes sendmap20 which is needed to actually send it to the device.

On a pedantic note, only Pillars are the trigpoints, the Passive Stations and Fundamental benchmarks have been included on T:UK only because there is some overlap!

Edit: kept the window open kinda long, as there was no replys when started. Anyway I dont beleive that the Garmin Topo product includes Trigs (I would be doubtful of them getting a licence), and if it did it would only be Pillars I'm pretty sure. What it might have is hill peaks, which often to match with trigs anyway, and could probably use a similar trigangle symbol.

Edited by barryhunter

On a pedantic note, only Pillars are the trigpoints, the Passive Stations and Fundamental benchmarks have been included on T:UK only because there is some overlap!

Pedant! :P:D

Making one should be fairly easy (I plan to have a go anyway at some-point) you will just need a few tools to create the maps:

GPSmapedit - which will read the GPX and/or mapsource files downloaded from T:UK and output Polish Format.

cGPSmapper - which will read Polish format and write a img file, also includes sendmap20 which is needed to actually send it to the device.

Yes, that's more or less what we were going to do, but we had a go and so far, it's been unsuccessful, which is why we've resorted to checking to see if there's one about already! Any chance you'd like to have a go sooner rather than later? :D:o

Personally I use the waypoint download from trigpointinguk.com if that is on any help. Just sign in, search for the location that you are interested in and click download.

Yes, but apparently there are 7378 listed on T:UK and our GPS only holds 3000 waypoints. We thought a map overlay would be much neater and tidier and would list them all!

Bambi.

How 'bout this:

http://www.nearby.org.uk/garmin-tuktrigs.html

This is largly untested (hot off the press) but it does transfer and appear to work; used two shortcuts to get it to work, tweaked T:UK to be able to output polish format directly (if anybody want's to create a similar map, like just includeing FBM's for example then I can send you the procedure, and/or will write up a tutorial), and had access to Dave's original sourcecode to work by example :unsure:

See Types for the shorthand used to denote trig types, although on reflection it should cope with the full text, well at least on my GPSr, let me know either way if someone has a gps that it couldn't support a much longer name.

btw complments nicely with the Gridlines I recently created :blink:

http://www.nearby.org.uk/garmin-gridlines.html

Anyway I dont beleive that the Garmin Topo product includes Trigs (I would be doubtful of them getting a licence), and if it did it would only be Pillars I'm pretty sure. What it might have is hill peaks, which often to match with trigs anyway, and could probably use a similar trigangle symbol.

Check out their web page, Barry. About halfway down the 'Features'. I've had this demonstrated 'in the field' and I can assure you that trig points are shown on the Topo maps that were loaded onto the Garmin GPSr :unsure:

Anyway I dont beleive that the Garmin Topo product includes Trigs......

Check out their web page, ......

Ah thanks! I stand corrected :unsure: I still do wonder about licencing, wonder if they just downloaded a file from T:UK or similar, where the licence isn't actually clear. (apologies I've (had to) become a stickler for licencing) - which might actually mean that the shouldn't be in the contour product either :( (Irish Trigs I think should be ok, if the source is acknowledged)

Upon investication it appears they get the data from TPW, which does make the data look to be in the public domain. But there is evidence it is not (esp. for commercial uses!)

Edited by barryhunter

Ooooo! Ask and you will recieve!! Thanks loads - We owe you a pint sometime! Will give it a try as soon as we get in from work tonight and give you feedback (if you would like it).

btw complments nicely with the Gridlines I recently created :unsure:

http://www.nearby.org.uk/garmin-gridlines.html

Hadn't seen that; thanks for pointing it out, it looks like another really useful add-on. Is there anything else like this that may be useful, especially now that many GPSrs have effectively unlimited map space? Maybe a list of mapping software options, especially the free ones would be really useful. I mean this is the second thread about mapping etc this week... Maybe there could be one on G:UK or the GAGB site?

Bambi.

Funnilly enough, I am in the middle of writting a page detailing up experiences of getting mapping etc for a [Garmin] mapping GPS unit, as this is all new in the past few weeks (new toy:)), while its still fresh in my mind.

- all done on a shoestring budget.

btw any feedback welcome (even bad :unsure:)

Funnilly enough, I am in the middle of writting a page detailing up experiences of getting mapping etc for a [Garmin] mapping GPS unit, as this is all new in the past few weeks (new toy:)), while its still fresh in my mind.

- all done on a shoestring budget.

btw any feedback welcome (even bad :unsure:)

Thanks! This will be a very, very useful asset as mapping units become increasingly common. You can definitely count on us for support and feedback.

B.

Only slightly off topic....

I had an idea for a cache near here involving a trig point. Being pretty new to this game I was wondering if there are many caches linked to trigs or if they are considered something all-together different?! Basically the view from this one is spectacular involving a massive amount of the sounth downs and Brighton to Bognor (on a good day). I don't want to ruin a different game though so thought I ought to check out the etiquette first.

I would value your opinions....

No reason you can't have a cache near a trig, or use the numbers on the FB as part of the coordinates of the final part, for example.

There are people who only do caching, and there are people who only visit trigs, but people who do both can then have two for the price (getting there) of one!