City Nav 8 Vs. City Nav 8 Nt (north America)

I noticed they say the NT version is compressed differently, does this mean the NT version if purchased on DVD might actually fit onto a 1gb card as opposed to using almost 1.6gb for the regular version? Say the 2gb cards become available, I wonder if the regular version has any routing advantage over the NT version. I am using a 76CX.

I noticed they say the NT version is compressed differently, does this mean the NT version if purchased on DVD might actually fit onto a 1gb card as opposed to using almost 1.6gb for the regular version? Say the 2gb cards become available, I wonder if the regular version has any routing advantage over the NT version. I am using a 76CX.

NT map and non NT has 100% the same information, routing, POI....

Its onlye the compression of the map that is different.

The ISO image of City Navigator v8 is 1 517 836 bytes and the NT image is 1 159 889 bytes

NT map and non NT has 100% the same information, routing, POI....

Its onlye the compression of the map that is different.

The ISO image of City Navigator v8 is 1 517 836 bytes and the NT image is 1 159 889 bytes

So why sell the DVD version of both?, are you saying the NT version takes almost 1.2gb as opposed to 1.6gb(making sure I am reading you correctly) There has to be some sort of disadvantage/advantage to the NT version otherwise I am confused why they sell it alongside the normal version.

So why sell the DVD version of both?,

Because NT isn't supported by all their products. Only the newer units (Nuvi, 27xx, X series, etc.) work with NT. Older products like V, 26xx, and C series don't support it. Maybe it's processor power or internal RAM or some other limit, but they just don't work.
are you saying the NT version takes almost 1.2gb as opposed to 1.6gb(making sure I am reading you correctly)
I'm not sure that the size on disk is as pertinent as the compressed size of the regions.

So owning a 76CX should I have waited for the NT dvd?

At least this far, you can't actually BUY CN NT as a standalone product; it's always been bundled with the products that supported it; the X series is the first time this execption has been made that I've been aware of, but that exception may very well only be for their insanely priced preloaded MicroSD option.

You don't say what country you're in or what you did instead of waiting, but for most users, the combination of a $40 memory card (hint: price will go do and capacity will go up) holding detailed memory maps for most of a continent shouldn't lead to too much buyer's remorse.

So owning a 76CX should I have waited for the NT dvd?

At least this far, you can't actually BUY CN NT as a standalone product; it's always been bundled with the products that supported it; the X series is the first time this execption has been made that I've been aware of, but that exception may very well only be for their insanely priced preloaded MicroSD option.

You don't say what country you're in or what you did instead of waiting, but for most users, the combination of a $40 memory card (hint: price will go do and capacity will go up) holding detailed memory maps for most of a continent shouldn't lead to too much buyer's remorse.

I live in the USA and according to Garmins website North America City Nav NT is available as a DVD, I ended up returning the regular City nav to REI where I got it locally and I think I am going to order the Nt version especially if it takes up less space on the data cards that could otherwise be used for other maps.

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavnt.jsp

Edited by wickedsprint

Well, I'll be. You're right. This must be a fairly new change. In the past, since NT came with all the units it supported (now no longer the case) it wasn't possible to buy it separately.

Since the price is the same as NT-not, if you have only compatible units (which is a relatively small and new subset of the USB Garmins) I really can't think of a reason to not use the NT product.

Actually, it looks like this went up just a few weeks ago. See http://gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=59745

and is still the source of confusion:

http://gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61364

Weird way to roll out a product...

Edited by robertlipe

Still kind of confused! SO what would be the correct or best one to get with the 60CSX

So am I, it seems since the NT is available as a DVD and listed as compatible with the X series of units it makes more sense to get this as the entire USA only takes up 1.2GB compared with 1.6gb of the regular version. That means .8gb vs .4gb for extra maps if one gets a 2gb card when they come out.

The size of the ISO image I did list was for the Europen version. I do not know the size of the US NT Iso yet.

The DVD do also include Mpasource, Setup software ++ so the size ratio of the maps are even lager compare to the DVD size.

I would say if you have a unit that support NT maps, and the price of the maps are the same, go for NT.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What GPS is compatible with City Navigator NT+ v8

-StreetPilot

* c310 c320 c330 c340 c510 c550

-Nûvi

* 300 310 350 360

-GPSMap

* 60Cx 60CSx

* 76Cx 76CSx

* 276C (with latest firmware)

-eTrex

* Legend Cx

* Vista Cx

* Venture Cx

-Quest 2

-zümo

Edited by jotne

The size of the ISO image I did list was for the Europen version. I do not know the size of the US NT Iso yet.

The DVD do also include Mpasource, Setup software ++ so the size ratio of the maps are even lager compare to the DVD size.

I would say if you have a unit that support NT maps, and the price of the maps are the same, go for NT.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What GPS is compatible with City Navigator NT+ v8

-eTrex

* Legend Cx

-zümo

But it doesn't say on Garmin's Website that City Navigator NT Version 8 is compatible with my Garmin eTrex Legend CX. Has anyone tried to use City Navigator NT V8 on their Garmin eTrex Legend CX?

But it doesn't say on Garmin's Website that City Navigator NT Version 8 is compatible with my Garmin eTrex Legend CX. Has anyone tried to use City Navigator NT V8 on their Garmin eTrex Legend CX?

Garmin do not list all the possibility. But this list is up to date.

Garmin did not liste that POI was supported on the 60CSx. But changed that after some month.

As far as I know, you cant (at least in europe) get NT DVD, its only delivered with som GPS

But the NT maps is floating around on the net and has been teste on other GPS

NT=Not Tested

Edited by jotne

Here is Garmins reply when I inquired about the NT version fitting on a 1gb card...

Thank you for contacting Garmin Cartography. Yes, the NT version will

fit

on a 1GB card. Hopefully the 2GB microSD cards will hit the market

very

soon.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and thank you for

your

interest in Garmin.

Regards,

Nathan

So it seems if you have not purchased City nav yet it might be worth it to get the NT version on DVD if it all fits on one card.

Edited by wickedsprint

CLICK HERE to go to the "City Navigator® North America NT v8" page. In the upper right you'll see a box titled "DVD Product Compatibility". Click on the selector button to view different models. It lists the VistaCx and the VentureCx. If those two are compatable, then the LegendCx is too! A VentureCx is just a different-colored LegendCx that lacks certain accessories.

I just received my City Navigator NA V8 in the mail today for my 60csx. I do not plan on putting the entire cd on my gps. I am assuming it is fine to stick with this version or should I still send it back and try to get the NT version? Just wondering before I open up the package.

The NT Version takes up less space, so if it is worth it to you to spend the same amount of coin for a version that takes up 50% more room then keep it, the maps are the same. If the NT version fitd the entire CD on one card I cannot fathom why you would not want that? It will be even nicer when the 2gb cards come out..youll have almost a whole Gig for other maps in addition tot he city nav loaded.

I've been using older City Select and City Navigator maps with my 60CSx.

I BRIEFLY tried a StreetPilot i3 which shipped with City Select NT. The map "chunks" on that product were HUGE compared to other Mapsource products I've tried.

Does City Nav v8 NT also have large map chunks?

Here's the issue: I have a large SD card (1GB) BUT I run into the chunk limit before the memory limit.

Large map chunks would be ideal - more area covered before running into the chunk limit.

I've been using older City Select and City Navigator maps with my 60CSx.

I BRIEFLY tried a StreetPilot i3 which shipped with City Select NT. The map "chunks" on that product were HUGE compared to other Mapsource products I've tried.

Does City Nav v8 NT also have large map chunks?

Here's the issue: I have a large SD card (1GB) BUT I run into the chunk limit before the memory limit.

Large map chunks would be ideal - more area covered before running into the chunk limit.

You will not run into the chunk limit with either version, the regular City Nav 8 takes very little chunks if I recall for the entire North America.(I returned it so I cannot remember) Topo is a big chunk eater though. I think even with city select you don't hit the chunk limit..something like 1000 maps, but I cannot recall what version of city select I have...I am not at my computer right now. A new version of topo would be nice that had bigger chunks. Garmin stated the NT would fit on one 1GB card, I am going to try it when I get back from vacation in a week and report back unless somebody beats me.

In the event that you are thinking about the CN8 NT version for handhelds, like I was for the 76csx, forget it. I just got my reply form Garmen, the NT version: "The NT maps are designed for our automotive GPS units. Sorry for the confusion."

Customer Service Reps have been known to make mistakes. I'm not convinced it isn't compatible.

Look at this page: http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavnt.jsp

On the right, pull down the "DVD Product Compatiblity" box - the entire "x" series is in there.

Perhaps what the CSR meant was "designed for auto-routing models" not just dedicated automotive use models.

Edited by af895

I am only telling you what they told me, I am not about to blow the $$ on something that is not going to work...if someone gets it and tries it out then we will know....I like to think Garmen is more on the ball and not like the loosers at Thales...now there are some clowns who don't know which is up. I mentioned the drop down, and saw the 76csx, since I just bought that and CN8 in the last two weeks I wanted to see if I got the right one so I asked. Anyone???

Customer Service Reps have been known to make mistakes.

I'm not convinced it isn't compatible.

Look at this page: http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavnt.jsp

On the right, pull down the "DVD Product Compatiblity" box - the entire "x" series is in there.

Perhaps what the CSR meant was "designed for auto-routing models" not just dedicated automotive use models.

All th GPS in the list above do work with NT map. Its been tested.

You do not need key to test it. If you add the key "DEMO" (instead of a 25 digit key), you unlock all maps, and you can tranfer them to the GPS. The only problem you have is that the GPS goes in demo modus too.

To turn off "DEMO" modus, remove the "DEMO" key and transfer normal maps to the GPS.

Using compressed maps slows down the GPS some, buts it do works fine on the 60csx.