I Need A Forum Signature

I am not one for post signatures as that just take up screen space and don't really tell me anything.

Today I do not have a signature set up, but I am considering one for a singe reason, that being people are taking me overly seriously. Yes, I know, my, taken seriously, frightening isn't it. :o

Anyway I never intend to insult or be aggressive in these forums, but even when I use smiles people do misunderstand the vain in which a comment was meant, even one taking the mickey out of myself like above. This could be my fault or someone else's, but that is not important. I want to create a signature to prevent this confusion this.

I could have a serious signature saying something like "The comments above are not intended to offend or insult." but that is boring and does not really achieve that most.

Personally I would rather have something like "The post above is not worth reading and should be ignored." but that does not work that well either.

So, have you any suggestions to what signature I should have?

I am not one for post signatures as that just take up screen space and don't really tell me anything.

Today I do not have a signature set up, but I am considering one for a singe reason, that being people are taking me overly seriously. Yes, I know, my, taken seriously, frightening isn't it. :o

Anyway I never intend to insult or be aggressive in these forums, but even when I use smiles people do misunderstand the vain in which a comment was meant, even one taking the mickey out of myself like above. This could be my fault or someone else's, but that is not important. I want to create a signature to prevent this confusion this.

I could have a serious signature saying something like "The comments above are not intended to offend or insult." but that is boring and does not really achieve that most.

Personally I would rather have something like "The post above is not worth reading and should be ignored." but that does not work that well either.

"take me with a pinch of salt"

How about "Sorry for any offence this post has caused. I do not wish to upset or offend anyone, it is just that things often come out that way when written down. So, accept my apologies and rest assured that I mean no malice when I request that you go away and get a life you worthless cretin".

I am inclined to advise you to change your avatar rather than add a signature.Your current one makes you like a cross between a very "serious" gamekeeper and a BBC journalist for the Countryfile program.

Please don't take offence as I am about to get drunk.And that will be worse :o

Is that challenge Kev???

How obnoxious can we get, bearing in mine this is a family forum of course :laughing:

My only challenge is that this is NOT a family forum.Is a 5 year old going to log on to see whats happening ..NO

Is a teenager going to log in..NO...theyre too busy with fashion/music/each other to be interested in these pages.I can't imagine hearing a son/daughter shouting.."Hey Dad/Mum can I use the pc to log on to the Geocaching forum?" :laughing: Smiley added as to not offend.

Edited by currykev

I am inclined to advise you to change your avatar rather than add a signature.Your current one makes you like a cross between a very "serious" gamekeeper and a BBC journalist for the Countryfile program.

Please don't take offence as I am about to get drunk.And that will be worse :laughing:

Agreed, a personal picture allows people to look at you and then pigeonhole you, they/we should not do this but in the real world...

No ffence intended :laughing::anicute::anibad::blink::blink::ph34r:;):ph34r:;):P

Although I'm sure that you have perfectly valid reasons for choosing your avatar Alistair I am going to have to side with currykev, as to me your avatar has the merest suggestion of a grumpy farmer in a Norfolk jacket. In which case you might use this as your signature:

:anicute: Get out of my thread an off my land! :anibad:

Probably wouldn't work, but IMHO the best signatures are the self deprecating ones. Casting aside temptation along the lines of the canny cacher was reminded of the saying about the Piper of Hexham whose sparse repertoire prompted someone to say The first was lang unkenned, the second naebody kenned, and the third he didna ken hissel. So what about:

:laughing: The first cache was lang unkenned, the second naebody kenned, and the third I didna ken mysel. :laughing:

.. and of course for an alternative avatar <places tongue in cheek> you could always use this chap who would retain something of the tweedy look of your existing picture, while adding a sense of provenance to your postings:

capp-2.gif

a sort of toon from the toon. :blink: <removes tongue from cheek>

Seriously though I'm not quite sure why you receive flack more regularly than most of those on the Forum. Might be the post and the tweedy avatar, but I'd put most of it down to people responding to the the last post on a thread rather than reading it in context. Anyway knowing my luck I'm probably about to be roasted for confusing Geordie with Mackem and Pitmatic.

How about you keep your fine picture and just add 'I'm only 18.3% as serious as I look, and only 34% as this anal as this signature line makes me sound' ? :laughing:

Whatever you go for, I hope it'll fit into a single line, and add a handy link to something relvent to your caching life if you can. Good luck with finding something that feels right :laughing:

"I'll show you my sig if you'll show me yours."

"This signature not suitable for those who are pregnant or wish to become pregnant."

"Mom and Dad went geocaching and all I got was this lousy signature."

"Take me home to meet your parents. They won't forget it."

"Touch it. Go ahead. You know you want to."

"This signature is also an emergency flotation device."

Okay, technically I was a reporter for the BBC, but insults like that can still wound. :DThat is one of those sarcastic comments by the way.

.. and of course for an alternative avatar <places tongue in cheek> you could always use this chap who would retain something of the tweedy look of your existing picture, while adding a sense of provenance to your postings:

capp-2.gif

I rather like that for some reason. I think I will change it now.

Wheres the next tree/hedge/bush I can fall out of? :D:D:):D

You fall out of one little tree and they wont let you forget it. :D

How about you keep your fine picture and just add 'I'm only 18.3% as serious as I look, and only 34% as this anal as this signature line makes me sound' ? :D

Slightly off topic, but did you know that 85.9% of all statistics are made up. :D

What about "The mindless waffling of someone not in the know...." for the caption? Please keep the suggestions coming.

Well, whatever you do don't go down the route of a certain other forum I have to admit perusing, where the sig has to be larger than any post you make :) I can just see it here:-

--

In da gc bag

Garmin xyz

Sandisk blah blah blah

Spare duracells

etc

driving da skoda

Proud member of da Surrey GC posse (sorry Surrey picked at random)

- any big graphic you can find -

Given your penchant for dry wit and erudition what about these from the master of that black art;

By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, journalism keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.

I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself.

Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow.

Of course I have played outdoor games. I once played dominoes in an open air cafe in Paris.

He was always late on principle, his principle being that punctuality is the thief of time.

:):D

"It's just a microphone, ma'am. Honest."

"I see. ... and which part of that story was intended to be interestiing?"

"It's my real hair so shut up."

"I have always found people to be innately fascinating subjects. ... until I met you."

"Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticise them you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

I saw that one ages ago and it made me smile :anitongue:

edit: make sure you spell it right though!

Edited by dino-irl