No Cost Waterproof Micro Log

I just tested a scrap of tyvek for waterproof-ness.

I recycled an Express Mail envelope from the post office. I was able to salvage a 7"x14" piece from it. Ball point pen did not wash off it when I ran it under water and it was good as new after shaking off the water droplets.

I'm going to use it in my next micro or cache hidden near water.

I use Tyvek in my newest micros. I saved a lot of big white Tyvek envelopes from when I worked at a company 25 years ago. They pitched them.

I leave the Tyvek as a ring shape and mark off areas where people should only leave initials. What I like about is that it never wears out. I remember when that plastic impregnated paper first hit the market. There was a piece of it placed in a Life or Look magazine. They stuck it in the binding like the ads are now. The talk was that you could fold it a gazillion times and it would not tear.

Thanks a million for posting this. I just finished testing a few strips off a FedEx envelope and it's great. I tried ball point pen and pencil. After soaking it for over an hour, I took it out of the cup and rubbed my thumb across it. It only smeared after repeatedly rubbing it really hard, and then it only smeared slightly. It was definitely still readable.

As for pencils, though the pencil would not actually leave lead on the tyvec, it did leave a perfectly legible impression. So this makes it perfect for micros because you can use a stick or anything else you can find with a point to write on it if you forget the pen.

I LOVE IT!!!