Garmin 60CSx [ compass disappears ]

:laughing: I have searched for the thread but can not find it so here is my question. I have the Garmin 60csx and on 3 occasions while using the compass page during a find, the arrow disappeared from the screen. Distance to end would keep updating and I would have to power down and back up. I have the latest release of both unit and city select software. Any thoughts :rolleyes: Edited by Fisherman Tim

A month ago mine also had the same problem several times over a period of several days. I was advised by Garmin to perform a master reset and after I did so the problem went away. Be aware that this procedure will erase all of your personalisation settings and also the satellite almanac. The unit will then require to be placed outside in a location where it can see plenty of sky for about 20 minutes while it acquires a new set of almanac data.

Power off

While holding down "page" and "enter" buttons, press power on

Confirm “erase user data”

A month ago mine also had the same problem several times over a period of several days. I was advised by Garmin to perform a master reset and after I did so the problem went away. Be aware that this procedure will erase all of your personalisation settings and also the satellite almanac. The unit will then require to be placed outside in a location where it can see plenty of sky for about 20 minutes while it acquires a new set of almanac data.

Power off

While holding down "page" and "enter" buttons, press power on

Confirm “erase user data”

Thanks I hoped that it would not be that drastic of a fix.

Mine and hitman's did the same thing. Turns out it has to do with the battery contacts being too loose, causing a momentary loss of power. Slightly bend the contacts out then place a small piece of styrofoam, etc under the contact. This should do the trick! We have not had an issue since!!!

Edited by Fhantazm

Mine and hitman's did the same thing. Turns out it has to do with the battery contacts being too loose, causing a momentary loss of power. Slightly bend the contacts out then place a small piece of styrofoam, etc under the contact. This should do the trick! We have not had an issue since!!!

Although I haven't experienced the compass needle loss yet, I noticed that my 60CSx actually has little foam pads under the contacts factory installed.

Jan

This is a very good piece of info! Shows that Garmin does recognize this issue and is attempting to rectify it on future shipped models.

Although I haven't experienced the compass needle loss yet, I noticed that my 60CSx actually has little foam pads under the contacts factory installed.

Jan

Thanks, I'll give it a try this weekend. :wub:

Jan

Well mine must have been made a 5:00, because it is missing the pads but I will try some foam. Thanks for the reply. :wub:

Jan

Well mine must have been made a 5:00, because it is missing the pads but I will try some foam. Thanks for the reply. :wub:

I have noticed the foam pads on mine as well and have had no problems with the compass. After calibrating it, it is running neck and neck with my Cammenga compass.