Tour de Cache - NJ Counties Challenge

Tour de Cache - NJ

This thread will be used for general info and discussion on the Tour de Cache - NJ County Challenge

For full details on this cache check out the listing at the above link.

An important fact to remember is that the challenge starts this Saturday, August 26, 2006. Caches found before that date will not be scored in the challenge.

Also there have been some ammendments to the rules to prevent some of the grief that occured at GW4 over questionable caching practices.

We want this cache to be a fun experience and for you to see some of the special and hidden places in New Jersey that have cache placements. We can't think of all the possibilities but if you stick to caching basics and not gaming the game there should be no issue.

Future issues can be brought up in this thread for discussion or via email to the CO.

Cache safely and responsibly. Enjoy the Tour de Cache!

On your mark ...

I'm going for the vintage puzzle master award! :laughing:

Atlantic - ?

Bergen - ?

Burlington - ?

Camden - ?

Cape May - ?

Cumberland - ?

Essex - ?

Gloucester - ?

Hudson - ?

Hunterdon - ?

Mercer - ?

Middlesex - ?

Monmouth - ?

Morris - ?

Ocean - ?

Passaic - ?

Salem - ?

Somerset - ?

Sussex - ?

Union - ?

Warren - ?

On your mark ...

I'm going for the vintage puzzle master award! :laughing:

Good luck Nik,

You may need to get someone to place a puzzle cache or two in Cape May and Ocean counties to pull this off. I don't see any puzzles in those counties.

As for me - still having fun trying to make heads or tails out of this. Trying to pull together an intinerary to maximize photo ops and scenery. Looking forward to an expedition up North soon.

Frodo

Edited by Frodo_Underhill

Not sure if I'm going to compete in this challenge: Cape May is a long way off! But someone brought a interesting point. I think that there are only 11 caches in Hudson County (not counting Spot Our Egret2, which is unavailable.) I've found all eleven (heck, four of them are mine!) So, I'd need to wait for someone to hide a new one? :rolleyes:

Not sure if I'm going to compete in this challenge: Cape May is a long way off! But someone brought a interesting point. I think that there are only 11 caches in Hudson County (not counting Spot Our Egret2, which is unavailable.) I've found all eleven (heck, four of them are mine!) So, I'd need to wait for someone to hide a new one? :rolleyes:

Harry,

Good point - Hudson county is a little different due to the low number of caches. We are open to suggestion on how to handle this.

You could either wait for another cache to be placed there - which might be a while.

Or find another cache as close to Hudson county as you can get. In this case you would need to double up on one of the adjoining counties. You would then have to ask to substitute an out of county cache. This would have to be handled case by case.

However, the low number of caches in Hudson county adds a twist to the challenge. So we are a little reluctant to opening up exceptions for Hudson county.

Would like to here some other ideas from the community.

Thanks,

TDC-NJ

Edited by Tour de Cache - NJ

After hours caching is not permitted by the rules of this cache.

Is there something that tells me what after hours is? Is it after hours when the park/area is closed or is it after dusk in all cases. If that's the case, it removes the ability to count night caches and removes one of the personal challenge: Dark Lord.

Also, what's the easiest way to determine what county a cache is in?

After hours caching is not permitted by the rules of this cache.

Is there something that tells me what after hours is? Is it after hours when the park/area is closed or is it after dusk in all cases. If that's the case, it removes the ability to count night caches and removes one of the personal challenge: Dark Lord.

After hours is self explanatory. If you are in an area or park after it has closed for the day then it is after hours caching and not permitted in the Tour de Cache challenge. Closing hours will vary from location to location so it is not possible to make a blanket statement on what they are. We felt strongly that cachers at night with lights in parks can reflect very poorly on geocaching as a whole. It brings too much undue attention on our activities and can result in alarm with local officials. We ruled it out for this cache as we did not want to condone this type of behavior.

There are some parks that are open 24/7 such as state forests and parks and caching at night there is not an issue. But other areas are not open 24/7. If the closing hours are not posted, then the cacher will need to determine what they are by checking on the internet, or asking the park or town officials etc.

As for determining what county a cache is in, there unfortunately is no better way than to plot its coords and look on a map. That's how we do it. It would be nice if geocaching had a feature to designate a county for caches but that feature is presently unavailable. We thought about doing book mark lists for the counties but have not had the time to look inputting the lists and the maintenance issues as new caches are listed and old ones archived.

Hope that clears up your questions.

TDC-NJ

I was just goofing around with Google Earth and notice that the county lines are drawn. You can turn this on under Layers -> /borders/2nd Level Admin Regions (counties)

Pretty cool. With the GC.com Google Earth KML it's easy to find what county a cache is in.

I don't think awards are given out for the Personal Challenge, isn't that just a bragging rights thing?

(Maybe I should actually read the cache page)

FWIW, there are lots of parks that are open past sunset.

I believe all the WMA are open from 5am - 9pm, I guess you really can't cache at night there in the summer, but in the winter there are a good 3+ hours of caching fun! :tired:

So I'm looking at Google Earth with just the puzzle caches I haven't found loaded in. It looks like I've already found all the puzzle caches in Middlesex, Monmouth and Mercer counties.

Since the Tour de Cache is listed at the point where those three counties meet, I would like to use that the Tour cache to satisfy those three counties.

Once I complete a puzzle in the remaining 18 counties of course! :tired:

I was just goofing around with Google Earth and notice that the county lines are drawn. You can turn this on under Layers -> /borders/2nd Level Admin Regions (counties)

Pretty cool. With the GC.com Google Earth KML it's easy to find what county a cache is in.

Thanks so much, that worked perfectly... well, except for one that is so close to the border you have to zoom in and then the border disappears. However, I think that it's on the side I want it to be! :-)

4 down...

I don't think awards are given out for the Personal Challenge, isn't that just a bragging rights thing?

(Maybe I should actually read the cache page)

In regards to prizes the cache page says:

There will be awards for FTF, 2nd and 3rd.

In regards to the personal challenges:

You can set your own goals in completing this challenge. .... This cache is what you make of it.

So - prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd - nominal value - equivalent of WaWa gift card for $20/$10/$5. No prizes for personal challenges. Those are just your own goals to make the cache more interesting.

What the committee wants to see is one find in each county on or after August 26 meeting the conditions spelled out on the cache page.

So I'm looking at Google Earth with just the puzzle caches I haven't found loaded in. It looks like I've already found all the puzzle caches in Middlesex, Monmouth and Mercer counties.

Since the Tour de Cache is listed at the point where those three counties meet, I would like to use that the Tour cache to satisfy those three counties.

Once I complete a puzzle in the remaining 18 counties of course!

We'll have to think about that one. Should be ok for the personal challenge since you have all the puzzle caches in those three counties. However to satisfy the overall cache requirements you still have to find a cache of some kind meeting the challenge criteria in those three counties.

In regard to puzzles in other counties, there are no puzzle caches in Cape May or Ocean counties. The committee is working to place puzzle caches. However if there is anyone else who would like to get into the puzzle caching game by placing puzzles there it would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much, that worked perfectly... well, except for one that is so close to the border you have to zoom in and then the border disappears. However, I think that it's on the side I want it to be! :-)

4 down...

O'D we will be glad to look into a cache on the border and assist you in determining where it is. If in the unlikely event there is a cache actually siting right on the border, it will have to be claimed for one county or the other but not both.

O'D we will be glad to look into a cache on the border and assist you in determining where it is. If in the unlikely event there is a cache actually siting right on the border, it will have to be claimed for one county or the other but not both.

Since you're offering..

Check out Mate in One – J’Adoube

It's right on the border but I think it's in Morris... Opinion?

Opinion: Close call but it looks like it is on the south shore of the stream on a Topo and Google Earth which would put it in Morris County.

Check out Mate in One – J’Adoube

It's right on the border but I think it's in Morris... Opinion?

Opinion: Close call but it looks like it is on the south shore of the stream on a Topo and Google Earth which would put it in Morris County.

Assuming the county boarder goes down the middle of the river. I would put this in Morris county.

Stayfloopy's track log also confirms this. Assuming Kber took this picture from the cache side of the river, you can see that the sun is shining on the north shore. There for the cache is on the south side of the river.

Regardless of all that jazz and what county the cache is in, that looks like a fun puzzle cache!

[shameless Plug] If you want to grab 4 counties and five caches try my Central Jersey Cache Hunt :D

Edited by ekitt10

[shameless Plug] If you want to grab 4 counties and five caches try my Central Jersey Cache Hunt :D

Be sure a travel bug will fit into the cache. Some of those Central Jersey caches are listed as micros.

As a guideline, assuming a small object is attached, the size of a standard travel bug tag is the limiting factor on the size of a cache. If the tag will fit in the cache, then it should be big enough to meet the Tour criteria. We know of some cachers who are carrying a bug or two with them on the challenge and using them as a gauge. If the tag fits, its a keeper.

So, should I be posting counties cached in (having found a cache large enough to hide a TB in)? And updating when additional counties are added to the list? (Only three counties so far, but I have a week's vacation coming up.) Or, should the list only be posted when completed? (EEK! Overnight in a motel in south Jersey? Any recomendations for Elmer or Dennis?)

And, of course, the wait for someone to hide a new cache in Hudson...)

Edited by Harry Dolphin

So, should I be posting counties cached in (having found a cache large enough to hide a TB in)? And updating when additional counties are added to the list? (Only three counties so far, but I have a week's vacation coming up.) Or, should the list only be posted when completed? (EEK! Overnight in a motel in south Jersey? Any recomendations for Elmer or Dennis?)

And, of course, the wait for someone to hide a new cache in Hudson...)

There is no requirement to post as you go. Some folks like to do that while others don't. Your call.

As for questions and comments, this thread is the right place to post them rather than on the cache page.

Dennis is near Belleplain State Forest - there are a few caches there including the oldest cache in Cape May County - GC1910 - Lenape Chief Surprise You are also not far from where Atlantic, Cape May and Cumberland counties all come together. These "triple points" seem to be a great area to get the maximum bang for your cache buck when doing the Tour Challenge. Zip code search around 08245

Elmer is near Parvins State Park - another interesting area for caching. Lot's of caches there and you can also pick up Salem and Gloucester county. Just do a search around zip code 08318.

Enjoy your South Jersey sojourn.

As for another cache in Hudson county -- Is there anyone listening that can help Harry out?? Please!!

(EEK! Overnight in a motel in south Jersey? Any recomendations for Elmer or Dennis?)

Frankly, I wouldn't recommend staying in a motel in either Elmer or Dennis Twp. I am not sure what route you will be taking to get to the area, but if you are going to do some combination of turnpike, to 295, to 42, to 55 or turnpike to 206 to 54, I'd consider staying at the Ramada Inn in Vineland, (856-696-3800) which is directly at an exit off Rte 55 or the Wingate Inn (856-690-9900) right next door to it. The Ramada has a coffee shop, restaurant, lounge and room service. The Wingate has Bennigan's right in front of it.

Route 55 will give you easy access to Gloucester, Camden, Cumberland, & Cape May Counties. Also with a little knowledge of the area, you could be in Salem Co. from the Ramada Inn in 15 minutes and in Atlantic Co. in 20 minutes. You could knock out 6 counties pretty quickly.

Best of luck - feel free to shoot us an email if you have any additional ?'s

Mother Hen of Evil Chicken

:P Hmm... Mean, Tom! Now, go put out a cache for us to find in Hudson County! (Or, as some have suggested, I could hide a new cache for Andy Bear to find, and he could hide one for me to find(?)

Or is there an exemption for anyone who owns more than 25% of the caches in a county? :P

Day's Inn in Vineland looks to have good rates...

Lessee... Hamilton, Mount Laurel, Berlin, Pitman, Pittsgrove and Vineland. Returning via Dennis, Buena, Toms River, Allaire, Cheesequake, and Bridgewater ...

Hmm...

I was going to try "puzzle master", but some of the puzzle caches that I haven't done don't qualify because they are too small for TBs. I thought maybe in that case, I could do a non-qualifying puzzle plus a regular, qualifying cache, but I already struck out at Dolphin and Bear's "West New York Perch" (Hudson County). I'll have to try again there. The only I could find in Union that I haven't done is also too small. Ah well, I'll see how inspired I get :tired:

Whoa - looks like I might be in the same boat as Harry Dolphin. There is only one cache in Mercer County that I haven't done that MIGHT qualify ("Paddle to Watson's Creek"). Its listed as a small cache, but I don't know if its big enough for travel bugs (and I also already DNF'ed it :laughing:)

Towel32,

We hear you but are still disinclined to create an exception to the rules. It would be very difficult to administer and someone out there would get creative with such an exception and use it to get around the purpose of the Tour which is to see NJ while finding 21 caches.

We thought the Tour out very carefully before we placed it and the requirement to find the caches after the starting date was meant to equalize the new cachers with those who have found thousands. The latter would qualify from their arm chair with past finds without this rule and that did not sound fair to us. It's just one of those features which make the Tour a little more challenging.

The other feature that we though a lot about was the requirement that a cache was big enough for a travel bug. We wanted folks to experience traditional caches with trading opportunities. Without the travel bug requirement, the Tour could have been reduced to a run up and down the Turnpike etc. to bag all the rest stop micros. This was not the experience we wanted cachers subjected to.

So how do you ever get Mercer county or Harry gets Hudson? We would suggest encouraging a fellow cacher to hide a new cache in your county - always good for the sport. Or see if you can have a fellow cacher upgrade a micro you have not found to a small cache big enough for a travel bug. It is amazing what a TB will fit in. (modifying a TB tag with tools per a suggestion above is not recommended)

We keep hearing talk about hiding new caches so that folks can complete the challenge which we think is good for caching in the state. Also folks are talking about going out on trips to do the Tour. So for now we are going to leave well enough alone with changing the rules.

However if you have a positive suggestion on how to get around the problem of a county that you have cleared out, we would like to hear it and consider it.

Thanks for your continued interest in the tour.

TDC-NJ

The rules have been revised to address caches that are not in compliance with the Rules or the Allowable Caches guidelines. If this occurs, the cache in question will be dis-allowed, the cacher will be notified via e-mail and a new cache in the affected county will need to be found.

Also all sanctions previously imposed on any cachers for rules violations are rescinded. Everyone is back in the game.

Let's go find some caches!

Are micros now legit? I see some listings of found counties on the cache page with several micros/nanos????????

Earthcache, too...

There have been no changes in the allowable caches. Micros/nanos and earthcaches are still "out of bounds" for the Tour de Cache challenge.

What we have changed is how we handle matters. Rather than sanctioning players, we will now notify them of problems via e-mail and advise them of caches that have been disallowed and give them the opportunity to edit their logs and substitute other caches that meet the Tour requirements.

We don't like sanctioning players and they don't like being sanctioned. Way too much negative energy in that kind of transaction. The challenge is supposed to be fun and the rule change is meant to get it back to where it belongs.

If someone's log is still showing micros/nanos/earth etc. they obviously have not got around to correcting the problem yet. Give them some time to get to it.

What we have changed is how we handle matters. Rather than sanctioning players, we will now notify them of problems via e-mail and advise them of caches that have been disallowed and give them the opportunity to edit their logs and substitute other caches that meet the Tour requirements.

Good choice! <beerhoistingsmiley>

Mercer county done! Only 21 to go!

First off Mark, Box of Stuff in the Woods is in Middlesex county.

Second, I don't know what kind of math (and geography) they taught you in England, but 21-1 is 20.

So yous gots only twenty togo. :P

Maybe if I do all the counties I might find your traveling cache? :D:anibad:

My bad, will edit my logs.

21 counties but I was self imposing doing Essex County twice. :D

Bear and Dolphin have completed Bear and Dolphin's Great Adventure: Tour de Cache - The Nether Regions of New Jersey. Eleven counties in two days. 390 miles. Did you know that there are NO hills in South Jersey?!? We did see egrets, red tail hawks, a llama, and a herd of cheviots. But no cows.

Dolphin has opted for the Geezer's Challenge! :o

No Hills??

You should check these out:

This ain't no pancake

Mount Holly Hill Cache

Apple Pie Hill II (another slice) I mean c'mon, the cache page states that "At an elevation of 205 feet, Apple Pie Hill is one of the highest points in southern New Jersey" :o

You will have to come back down south - I think there was a hill requirement :ph34r::)

Harry - we hope you enjoyed your trip through South Jersey. It is quite different than North Jersey. But then seeing the differences from one part of the state to the other is what this cache is all about.

Trowel - hills are all relative to the surrounding terrain. Sure there are some hills in South Jersey but there is nothing equivalent to the Water Gap there. And there is no hill requirement for the cache unless you chose to make that your personal challenge.

TDC-NJ

Bear and Dolphin have completed Bear and Dolphin's Great Adventure: Tour de Cache - The Nether Regions of New Jersey. Eleven counties in two days. 390 miles. Did you know that there are NO hills in South Jersey?!? We did see egrets, red tail hawks, a llama, and a herd of cheviots. But no cows.

Dolphin has opted for the Geezer's Challenge! :)

No Hills??

You should check these out:

This ain't no pancake

Mount Holly Hill Cache

Apple Pie Hill II (another slice) I mean c'mon, the cache page states that "At an elevation of 205 feet, Apple Pie Hill is one of the highest points in southern New Jersey" :blink:

You will have to come back down south - I think there was a hill requirement :):D

Great adventure Harry! I did Apple Pie Hill as part of the Earth Cache and seem to remember you can drive right up to it. :blink::blink:

I was just teasing the dolphin :)

Dolphin opted for the 'Geezer's challenge'. Hills not required.

Avroair: I've been to Apple Pie 'Hill' a few times. It's a beautiful place.

Tour de Cache: We had a great trip, and we didn't see the ocean once! Sixteen counties down, four left to go. (Still no new caches in Hudson...) (Or am I using Avroair's math???) We shall have to post a few pictures, when and if we ever find this cache.

Andy Bear and Harry Dolphin have completed Bear and Dolphin's Great Adventure!!!! <_< Notes posted on cache page. Note: No bears or dolphins have been hurt in completion of this challenge.

We have logged appropriate caches in twenty counties, finishing off at: Essex - GCQ6J8 We Will Never Forget and Essex - GCA591 Eagle Rock n Roll 9/16/2006. We have logged over seven hundred miles on the cachemobile.

There are no available/acceptable caches in Hudson. There are twelve caches in Hudson County. Four of them are ours. We have found the eight that are not ours. As far as we can see, there are three caches in Hudson that qualify: Secaucus Panorama and Forgotten Forest. We have found those. The third is West New York Aerie, and we hid that one.

In the three weeks between the beginning of this challenge, and our having completed the other twenty counties, there have been no new caches hidden in Hudson.

Therefore, we think that we have completed this challenge, and deserve the coordinates for the final stage.

Addendum 9/17/06

Under the proposition of finding another cache in a nearby county, we will add the following:

For Andy Bear: GCQ6J8 We Will Never Forget 9/16/06

For Harry Dolphin: GCA591 Eagle Rock n Roll 9/16/06

Edited by Harry Dolphin