A refreshing problem

Archer4

My trusty iPAQ 3630/Navman sleeve took the big drop off the windscreen once too often so we're now using an iPAQ 2790b (Windows Mobile) with a TomTom SiRF III receiver GPSGate V1 (now V2beta) and MemoryMap OS 2004 4.4.3 Baud rate 4800

Works faultlessly in the car, can happily follow the route on OS with TomTom voice directions in the background while the distance to go box ticks down to the mark etc

Unfortunately it has a unique cache protection mode which kicks in as we walk towards a mark and hangs the distance to go & arrow for minutes at a time. It can work perfectly - just not for long. You can eventually triangulate enough brief snapshots to get to a search zone but the novelty has worn off :laughing:

Tried it with & without GPSGate but doesn't make any difference.

Happened today with 10 or so satellites locked + the signal bars till showing refreshes, with the hung "16.9m" box flickering at each refresh but staying stuck...

I've seen occ comments about some receivers starting to hunt when you stop or slow down but can't find anything to adjust and TomTom Navigator 5 has walking directions as an option so I would have thought that it should cope.

I've posted a query to the MM support forum but wondered whether anyone else had the same problem (& fixed it... :) )

Cured :):):P

I'd seen the utility but assumed that it was only to fix skipping around with wrong positions (which mine doesn't) rather than hanging the DTG - but a bit of blurb with it implies that different systems will display the same problem differently. Toggling Static Navigation certainly toggles the problem :)

I get to switch the Eggnog satellites on + off too with the same utility

Many thanks :):):)

Rutson, Thank you very much for the link. It's exactly what I was looking for. I had the same problem as the OP and couldn't find a solution. I'd get within distance of the cache and start circling but couldn't get updated coordinates.

BTW, I'm using my Sprint PPC 6700, TomTom Nav 6 software for roads, Beeline GPS for caching, and TomTom Nav 6 bluetooth receiver. :huh:

Rutson, Thank you very much for the link. It's exactly what I was looking for. I had the same problem as the OP and couldn't find a solution. I'd get within distance of the cache and start circling but couldn't get updated coordinates.

I wish I' known about this ten 10 days ago. Those Garmin 60CSX's that Wadders and Cachemad had were so much better than my Sirf in the PDA when searching at GZ.

Good news, even if I am a little (!) late to this particular party!

Edited by Stuey