Garmin Repairs

Icenians

Hi all

I managed to drop my Etrex Summit at the weekend while hill walking and broken off the waterproof page button.

Can anyone recommend a repair company for Garmins?

Thanks in advance.

I would send it to Garmin for repair, I'm sure someone on here will have a contact number.

I wish I knew of those number before.

Just sent my GPSMAP60C off due to a number of faults. I spent 2 weeks trying to contact Garmin, with calls everyday and many over an hour long. I dread to think what the phone bill will be. I even sent 2 e-mails to them over 2 weeks ago, and still no reply from them. I finally got answered on the phone last friday. I kinda feel sorry for the girl who answered, cos she did get a bashing from me about the lack of service.

They then argued with me as the unit was 2 months out of warranty, and initially refused to do it unless I paid through the nose.

Lets hope the machine returns soon working again. A good luck with your unit, I hope you get better service than I.

Edited by Geo-Kate

Well, we're going to stick for Garmin - the best company in the world. On two occasions they have replaced u/s GPS's for us which were many years outside warranty completely free of charge. They were replaced without a quibble and on the last occasion the brand new replacement arrived by courier. There are other geocachers who have received similar treatment. Contrast this with a certain large UK furnishing company with whom we spent a large amount of money. When the suite started to cause problems just a few months out of warranty they would do nothing..

If you have problems contacting Garmin be patient and you might be pleasantly surprised at what happens..

Edited by Birders

Two and a half weeks :tired: after sending my first e-mail to them, I received a reply today! Their advice was to reset the machine. I can't see how that would help, as the biggest problem it was suffering from was a mechanical fault in the power switch. :blink:

Anyway, it was too little too late, the unit is hopefully already at Garmin, with a cover note saying that it would be fixed under warranty.

I did, however reply to the e-mail. I asked if I could give out his direct e-mail address to 'a couple of people I know' (don't you love forums!) to avoid the terrible queueing system they are using. I didn't say about the queue system to him...

If I get a response in two or three weeks time, I will put up his address for you guys.

Just to say i'm impressed with Garmin. Sent a 1998 12XL back to Garmin UK a couple of months ago, with a cheque for the fix ('Upload not present' error on power on), and got a refurb 12-Map back complete with the uncashed cheque. Customer service at its best.

Edited by JustAlan

We live close enough to call in in person and had excellent service .

First time was about 2years ago when the battery connection was broken on yellow etrex .

They repaired on the spot free of charge .

2nd time was about a year ago when the page button had broken off same unit

Were told they had had a change in policy and wouldn't repair on the spot .They retained unit , but again did free repair and returned to us through the post, free of charge ,even though the unit was by then about 4years old. :laughing:

Edited by t.a.folk

We live close enough to call in in person and had excellent service .

First time was about 2years ago when the battery connection was broken on yellow etrex .

They repaired on the spot free of charge .

2nd time was about a year ago when the page button had broken off same unit

Were told they had had a change in policy and wouldn't repair on the spot .They retained unit , but again did free repair and returned to us through the post, free of charge ,even though the unit was by then about 4years old. :D

This may be for another thread, but this Garmin service I am hearing about is really confusing me. They seem to operate only at the extreme ends of the scale, really greaty or plain terrible.

So far I have only experienced the worse end of the scale. I hope I too get to see what everyone is raving about.

OK, I'll pitch in. My Forerunner failed out of warrenty. I rang them up, and they said send "it in for an estimate". I send it SD, two days later a new unit came by courier.

Soon after I lost the charging clip, conversation went like this:

"Hi there, I've lost my charging clip for my Forerunner, do you sell replacements or do I have to go through a dealer?"

"What's your address?" said he, I was thinking he was looking up my nearest dealer...

"36...... West Yorkshire"

"I'll put one in the post today!"

And he did, and a jiffy bag arrived next day.

Have you tried the contact form on the site? In my experience that works better than a plain email. (tracked better, makes sure they get the answers they need?)

I used it you see if they had any idea what was the best type of glue to re stick the rubber gasket, but got a reply the next day saying to sent it in and they will replace it FoC, way out of warranty as it an original eTrex model, before the upgrade.

Well I have so far sent four emails and attempted to ring Garmin on various occasions. I have never got past their evil electronic answering system yet and my emails remain unanswered. We shall see if I ever succeed and discover this legendary service of theirs.

Got a problem with the rubber gasket on my Vista C and I've had exactly the above response from Garmin. Unit was only 13 months old when I contacted them by email and was told I'd have to pay the repair charge. I politely pointed out via email that is was only just out of warranty and they should consider a repair free of charge. They have not replied to that email and it is completely impossible to get through to them on the phone (just their recording saying you are in a queue!!). I am in the fortunate postion of having a free legal aid service from my employer so I clarifed the details of the Sale of Goods act with them and I'm in a strong position on that one as the act states that something must work for a reasonable time - and 13 months is not reasonable! So if I get no response from Garmin it's a solictors letter to them next!

Well I have so far sent four emails and attempted to ring Garmin on various occasions. I have never got past their evil electronic answering system yet and my emails remain unanswered. We shall see if I ever succeed and discover this legendary service of theirs.

Got a problem with the rubber gasket on my Vista C and I've had exactly the above response from Garmin. Unit was only 13 months old when I contacted them by email and was told I'd have to pay the repair charge. I politely pointed out via email that is was only just out of warranty and they should consider a repair free of charge. They have not replied to that email and it is completely impossible to get through to them on the phone (just their recording saying you are in a queue!!). I am in the fortunate postion of having a free legal aid service from my employer so I clarifed the details of the Sale of Goods act with them and I'm in a strong position on that one as the act states that something must work for a reasonable time - and 13 months is not reasonable! So if I get no response from Garmin it's a solictors letter to them next!

Lets be honest.. It's out of warranty.. the things that Garmin do they don't have to.. so you jump in with yer solicitor.. next thing yer know.. every one pays.. Have to look at the broader picture

Lets be honest.. It's out of warranty.. the things that Garmin do they don't have to.. so you jump in with yer solicitor.. next thing yer know.. every one pays.. Have to look at the broader picture

I contacted cunsumer direct when I was having problems getting hold of Garmin. They informed me that on top of warranty, any product must last for a reasonable amount of time, considereing it's value and typical and expected use etc. They said GPS recievers like these should be expected to last at least five years

with normal use. If the machine fails within a reasonable amount of time, you have evey right to claim against the manufacturer or retailer. The least you should expect is a partial refund.

A unit being refused warranty service at 13 months old is really, really poor service. It's fine saying that the warranty is only 12 months, but anybody would be angry if it happened to them.

Good luck with getting your machine fixed.

When contacting a company for a service issue, closely look over their website for the proper links. An email goes to who-can-guess, usually to a central station for routing by I-don't-care-just-leave-me-be. A customer service form goes directly to those who know how to deal with it.

Recently, I had an issue with a digital camera, used the form provided by the service people. Got the camera back less than two weeks later, repaired, and a credit for unused portion of service fee. I will strongly recogmend KODAK products.

When contacting a company for a service issue, closely look over their website for the proper links. An email goes to who-can-guess, usually to a central station for routing by I-don't-care-just-leave-me-be. A customer service form goes directly to those who know how to deal with it.

Recently, I had an issue with a digital camera, used the form provided by the service people. Got the camera back less than two weeks later, repaired, and a credit for unused portion of service fee. I will strongly recogmend KODAK products.

In reply to a few comments, all 'e-mails' were sent to Garmin through their on line form. I only refered to them as e-mails, as that's what it is in effect, just without using your own client.

There is currently a 2 1/2 - 3 week wait for responses at the moment from the on line form. The phone system is just pot-luck, it took me 2 weeks to get an answer. Not good. Considering billing them for the time in queues before I spoke to a human.

I contacted cunsumer direct when I was having problems getting hold of Garmin. They informed me that on top of warranty, any product must last for a reasonable amount of time, considereing it's value and typical and expected use etc. They said GPS recievers like these should be expected to last at least five years

with normal use. If the machine fails within a reasonable amount of time, you have evey right to claim against the manufacturer or retailer. The least you should expect is a partial refund.

A unit being refused warranty service at 13 months old is really, really poor service. It's fine saying that the warranty is only 12 months, but anybody would be angry if it happened to them.

A handheld electronic device used mainly outdoors should require a warranty of longer than 12 months? Wow! I would never have thought that. ... and it's an example of poor service if it's not provided? Wow. I wish I could get more than 12 months on indoor appliances.

How in the world did the "cunsumer direct" decide that a GPS receiver should last at least five years? I'm confused. Did somebody move the California, USA court system to the UK?

A handheld electronic device used mainly outdoors should require a warranty of longer than 12 months? Wow! I would never have thought that. ... and it's an example of poor service if it's not provided? Wow. I wish I could get more than 12 months on indoor appliances.

How in the world did the "cunsumer direct" decide that a GPS receiver should last at least five years? I'm confused. Did somebody move the California, USA court system to the UK?

Consumer direct is funded by the government, and is to help us poor consumers with these kinds of matters by offereng all sorts of advice, even legal advice.

That's what they told me, so I can't comment on the fact if it a realistic expectation or not. They said that any product, even if out of a 12 month warranty, is expexted to have a reasonable life expectancy. PLease don't shoot the messenger!

No offense intended. Just shocked that they could make such a decision. How long do they expect the average personal CD player to last?

Ok, this is getting OT now, but a personal CD player should last a few years, at least. It will be out od date, but as long as it is not accidently damaged it shouldn't fail too quickly.

I didn't take any offence, Torry, I just meant I could not answer for them, I am just passing on what I was told.

Yup it is out of warranty but what is unreasonable is Garmin not replying to my emails or my letters. Today they have finally replied and apologised and will repair the unit free of charge. It does pay to complain.

Chris.

UPDATE!

I got my Etrex Vista C back yesterday 2 weeks after sending the de-rubbered one back to them. Well, I say 'my', actually those nice people at Garmin sent me a shiney brand new one free of charge. I want to have their babies - although I think they should send them to me via a different courier than they use for their GPSs, as they just dumped the package unceremoniously on my doorstep :anitongue: Still, no harm done and now I am happily all Vista'd up again. <_<

UPDATE!

I got my Etrex Vista C back yesterday 2 weeks after sending the de-rubbered one back to them. Well, I say 'my', actually those nice people at Garmin sent me a shiney brand new one free of charge. I want to have their babies - although I think they should send them to me via a different courier than they use for their GPSs, as they just dumped the package unceremoniously on my doorstep :anitongue: Still, no harm done and now I am happily all Vista'd up again. <_<

Ooh, I got my Lil Yello Etrex taken back to the courier depot when I wasn't in. A trip to Colchester which I didn't mind at all really, though it's a long way, as there was a FTF round the corner I could do at the same time, and yes same as you I got a brand new Etrex in exchange for my old one, which was WELL out of warranty as I bought it a good couple of years ago now. This new one's got lots of exciting new things like units in yards (won't use them though), and automatic datum setting when you change coord type.

Also can't praise Garmin too highly for their service, sorry not everyone's had the same experience.

Garmin has my vote too! On the return from a short holiday I noticed that the rubber surround on my Legend had vanished without trace. I returned the (well out of warranty) unit to Garmin and they replaced the surround FOC in just over a week.

I recently bought an American 60CSX which worked great for 3 weeks and then developed a fault which caused the display to fade out after 3 seconds of switching it on - yes I did check the batteries! I sent it back last week and wondered how they were getting on with it today so phoned them up. I used their freefone number, so it didn't cost anything to call. I left it on speakerphone while I carried on with something else. After 20 minutes or so, they answered and I explained. I was a bit worried about it being a USA model, but they reassured me that they could repair it no problem, it just might take slightly longer than usual. They said you should allow up to 15 WORKING days for repair, that is 3 weeks. I'm quite happy with that.

If you think that is too slow, or they take too long to answer the phone, consider this. They produce consumer/professional products. They must have a large customer base. Yes, they could employ a lot more staff to man the phones and repair their product. This would have to be paid for meaning a hike in prices of their products. I think their current level of pricing and service is just right. I'm not inclined to start talking to solicitors just because they don't answer their phone quickly enough :anitongue: .

Astounded that so many people rave about Garmin's legendary service....

Doesn't it strike anyone as odd that with so many complaints about defective manufacture, they appear to be more willing to build a reputation for their willingness to address the fault rather than resolve it ?

Maybe its just me ....

FFB

( magellan owner ---7years ....both receivers still mechanically perfect.... superglue not required ..... )

Astounded that so many people rave about Garmin's legendary service....

Doesn't it strike anyone as odd that with so many complaints about defective manufacture, they appear to be more willing to build a reputation for their willingness to address the fault rather than resolve it ?

Maybe its just me ....

FFB

( magellan owner ---7years ....both receivers still mechanically perfect.... superglue not required ..... )

I'm not sure that most of the faults are defective manufacture... A bit of wear and tear in the rubber surround is expected, but they also seem happy to replace when people drop them from the roof of the car and then drive over them! I wouldn't call that defective manufacture! <_< More like defective caching... :anitongue:

UPDATE!

I got my Etrex Vista C back yesterday 2 weeks after sending the de-rubbered one back to them. Well, I say 'my', actually those nice people at Garmin sent me a shiney brand new one free of charge. I want to have their babies - although I think they should send them to me via a different courier than they use for their GPSs, as they just dumped the package unceremoniously on my doorstep :D Still, no harm done and now I am happily all Vista'd up again. <_<

Result :anitongue:

Lots of people say they get brand new units, are they definitely brand new or could they be refurbs? Not that I would complain either way, just curious...

Lots of people say they get brand new units, are they definitely brand new or could they be refurbs? Not that I would complain either way, just curious...

Well, my receipt did say 'new unit' and it is certainly absolutely spotless and scratchfree, unlike the one I sent them which had been to the wars. I am so happy. I have been taking my GPS out and looking at it lovingly all day long. Yeah, I know, I should get out more! LOL :anitongue:

I've had mixed responses, yes slow to answer the phone and sometimes not answering emails but the response from Garmin Europe has always offered excellent advice and assistance, just guess they are busy. Have had considerably worse customer service from many many suppliers, at least Garmin repair/replace when goods apear to be faulty or even better have been accidentally damaged.

I've had mixed responses, yes slow to answer the phone and sometimes not answering emails but the response from Garmin Europe has always offered excellent advice and assistance, just guess they are busy. Have had considerably worse customer service from many many suppliers, at least Garmin repair/replace when goods apear to be faulty or even better have been accidentally damaged.

I got my, or should I say 'a' GPSMAP60c back last week. They have replaced it with a new unit after much hastle and many, many phone calls and e-mails.

So, with that at least, Garmin have gone some way to restore my faith in them.

BUT, the unit I sent them had the round nut on the back that allows it to be clipped onto mounts and stuff, the one they sent me does not have one. I cannot use it in my mount anymore. They also sent me an unlock code. These unlock codes are the worst things in the world! It so happens that the one they sent me does not work. I have had to use my own second code that came with my UK topo maps.

I have sent an email via the on-line form, but guess what. >1 week on, no response.

Reading this thread has probably saved me £hundreds! Had a problem with the screen on my Geko 301 and nearly chucked it. Their helpline guided me through what turned out to be a screen contrast glitch and all's well once more.

Why can't every helpline be as brilliant as this one? (Although it did take 20 mins to get through- it's well worth waiting) And thanks for the tip about the 0808 number- more savings!

:grin: