Quick TB question

Clyde.

Hi All,

Probally been asked before but I can't find anything using the search.

A T.B. of mine has been logged into an event, now the event has been and gone and the listing has been archieved but the TB is still showing as being ' in the cache ' as obviously no-one has picked it up.

What happens to my T.B. now ? Who has got it ? Where is it ? As the event isn't actually a physical cache, where has the T.B. been hidden for the next cacher to pick up ?........ I'm very confused :laughing:

Ive also noticed that there are a few nice geocoins still logged against the event, where have they gone as well ????

Help please..... still confused :laughing:

Edited by Clyde.

My best guess would be to ask the event organiser or the person who logged the TB into the event, maybe they have some idea as to what happened or who took it.

It's really annoying when this kind of thing happens, and I have stopped taking Tbs to events and plonking them on a table, rather handing them directly on to someone else and making a note of it as a memory jogger for myself.

Hmmmm, I seem to have stumbled across a 'flaw' in the system.

So what happens at an event when the tb or coin is plonked onto the table and no-one grabs them ? Do they just get left there for the cleaners to pick up after everyones gone home after a few drinks ?

Seems abit unfair to me this.... :laughing:

I will take your advice and put a note on each of my TBs and coins NOT to be taken to an event and I will contact the event organiser ( who luckily enough was the person who dropped the tb into the event in the first place ) and asked him where it has gone.

There are a couple of nice geocoins still logged in the events inventory, I would be mighty fed up if they were to be 'lost in transit' if I owned them

Thanks for the pointers

p.s. the event/cache listing is GCX59H, I cant link directly to the page as you have to be logged in to view as its achieved

Edited by Clyde.

Hi All,

Probally been asked before but I can't find anything using the search.

A T.B. of mine has been logged into an event, now the event has been and gone and the listing has been archieved but the TB is still showing as being ' in the cache ' as obviously no-one has picked it up.

What happens to my T.B. now ? Who has got it ? Where is it ? As the event isn't actually a physical cache, where has the T.B. been hidden for the next cacher to pick up ?........ I'm very confused :laughing:

Ive also noticed that there are a few nice geocoins still logged against the event, where have they gone as well ????

Help please..... still confused :laughing:

Can't really help but you're not the only one that that has happened to. It's not uncommon to see travel bugs and coins still showing in event caches when they're archived.

It's probably the very best reason for not 'pre-dropping' bugs into an event and then just dumping them into a box or on the table and forgetting about them. I've managed to 'loose' a couple that way that didn't belong to me, I was just moving them on. If I take a bug to an event now, I find someone that wants it, physically give it to them and more importantly, make a note of who I've given it to.

This seems to be a major spanner in the works.

When a TB or coin is picked up from a cache, I take it that its the cachers responsibility to ensure that the T.B. is moved on ( albeit in good geocaching faith ) but now it seems that some of us can just plonk a coin or TB in an event and say to themselves " Ive done my bit " and not worry about...... seems abit selfish to say the least :D

I've just emailed the person who placed the bug and held the event, we'll see what the reply is and have wrote a message on all of my T.Bs and Geocoins

Also, Ive just noticed that another one of my bugs has been dumped onto an upcoming event table, Ive just emailed the cacher who placed it to remove it from the listing and place it into a 'proper' cache, hopefully Ive caught it in time as the event is this weekend.......

Thanks again for the replys

p.s. My bug in question is Who Nose.... and is still showing in the listings inventory

One for Lacto....

Just a thought..... Is there anyway that we can add a 'rule' to event organisers saying that they are held responsible for ALL T.Bs and Geocoins that are logged into their events, at the end of the day, its listed as a cache so why not treat it as such ?

At least that way, the T.Bs may have a chance of surviving........ if the organisers have a conscience that is

Edited by Clyde.

One for Lacto....

Just a thought..... Is there anyway that we can add a 'rule' to event organisers saying that they are held responsible for ALL T.Bs and Geocoins that are logged into their events, at the end of the day, its listed as a cache so why not treat it as such ?

At least that way, the T.Bs may have a chance of surviving........ if the organisers have a conscience that is

Speaking as some one who has organised quit a few events. TB's go missing at events for similar reasons to normal caches, plus some that are unique to events

They never actually make it to the event

The person taking the TB forgets to log it out and it languishes in the bottom of their caching bag. Or they accidentally loose it.

They drop it off in a cache but do not log it out of the event nor into the cache.

I personally tried a log in/out book for TB's at one event and TB's still managed to go missing.

As has been pointed out

its listed as a cache so why not treat it as such ?

It's accepted that TB's go missing from cache containers, if you wish to bring this rule in you'd have to make every cache owner responsible for every TB logged into and out of their cache, not just event owners.

Personally I feel gutted every time a TB goes missing at a event that I have organised! And as I'm usually am the last to leave a venue, I physically check to see if any TB's have been left behind anywhere.

Dave

It's accepted that TB's go missing from cache containers, if you wish to bring this rule in you'd have to make every cache owner responsible for every TB logged into and out of their cache, not just event owners.

I thought that indirectly we were?

I was of the understanding that the person who placed the cache obtained permission based on the fact that they would maintain it, ensure that no harmful objects or anything such like are held in it, basically the contents of the cache and therefore indirectly responsible for T.Bs while they are 'visiting'...

Admittedly, tbs are not correctly logged in/out of caches for a number of reasons, all genuine I believe :D but I bet you don't have any T.Bs etc logged into any of your caches which aren't actually there ?

So why should events be any different ?

Personally I feel gutted every time a TB goes missing at a event that I have organised! And as I'm usually am the last to leave a venue, I physically check to see if any TB's have been left behind anywhere.

This is great, all I am suggesting that others should be the same. If the event owner has a number of outstanding T.Bs or coins logged against him, I'm sure that he would double or treble his efforts to actually have them in his possession at the end of the night.

Who wants to get a rep of losing T.Bs next to their name?

I know that T.B.s etc go missing , its unfortunately a bad point of our hobby but considering a cache is out in the open 24/7 to everyone, its the chance that we all aware of and take.

But I certainly wouldn't expect a T.B. or coin of mine to go missing whilst in the company of a number of fellow geocachers in a room, this would have been the safest place I could have imagined but on reading some of the other logs it looks like its safer just to leave the T.Bs out in the wild.

The event that I am talking about also has a number of nice geocoins still in its inventory as well as my T.B and again, I certainly wouldnt be too happy if I had owned one of them.....

I have pondered upon this problem myself. A TB went missing at my first event. It was not left in the pub, nobody admits to having taken it... so it vanished. Very disappointing for the TB owners and it made me feel somewhat guilty.

Now if I take TBs to events, I do not dump and forget them, but I hand them off to a specific other cacher and remember who I gave them too, if there are problems. The one time I did this and the TB did not get logged out, it was found after a prompt from me an a search of the old bag of caching.

I think that at my next event, what I will do is this... Have a central 'pot' for TBs to be dropped off into. Everybody who drops a TB takes a token (probably a raffle ticket). The 'TB Police' take a note of the TBs that are dropped off. Everybody can then take one TB for every token that they present, at any time. The TB Police record which TBs they take. If they drop 6 and dont want to take 6, then the tokens can be passed around. If there are TBs left at the end, then they get passed to the last few cachers and a note taken of the numbers. There are flaws in this scheme, you cannot control what people chose to do privately, for example. It is inevitable that some people will dislike any sort fo formal scheme and of course you have to find a sober and responsible person to look after the box and TB list.... but if you took this much trouble then if there was a problem, you could say you had done your best.

What a great idea, all I was asking is that the event owner and cachers take a little more action/responsibility for the T.B.s etc which appear at an event and if they don't want to join in with any 'policing' ideas, don't go then.

It just seems to be a common complaint judging by the replys but nothing seems to get done about it.....

OK, first, guilty on several counts

1. I organised the event
  2. I took the TB
  3. I forgot to log it

For the last of the above, I apologise, but I've been rather busy since the event and it slipped my mind. I took it from another event and took the required photograph, but before I got chance to upload it, the owner changed the mission and I didn't get chance to do the new mission and get it into a cache.

Second, I've a lot on my plate right now and can REALLY do without a public roasting over this. OK, I know I am wrong, but at the end of the day it's a plastic nose with a chunk of Aluminium attached to it by chain. I took the TB with the full intention of helping it on it's way but real life got in the way.

I really don't think coming on here and having a go at me is the way to get this sorted. I'm sorely tempted to chuck the bloody thing out of the hotel window.

If you'd taken the trouble to check, you'd see that the three coins 'in' the event were never physically there, why don't you post again having a pop at Alibags, G-Force, Pengy & Tigger and The Fair Bears?

It seems that this posting has been taken the wrong way, it was not meant to cause offence but to find out something that has just happened to me for the 1st time and calling on the experience of others but seeing that I have now been quoted I will answer your concerns in the manner that you asked them.......

Rutson:- I really don't think coming on here and having a go at me is the way to get this sorted

I have once not mentioned you by name and have actually sent you a private email, I have only published the cache waypoint and my TB tracking number as how are others supposed to comment without the full facts? But again if the cap fits......

Rutson:- the owner changed the mission and I didn't get chance to do the new mission and get it into a cache.

I think you will find that the mission changed AFTER the T.B. was logged into the next cache/event, cachers tend to complete whatever task is required whilst they are in possession of the T.B. not after its been placed elsewhere but if you post the photo now we shall call it "mission accomplished"

Rutson:- If you'd taken the trouble to check, you'd see that the three coins 'in' the event were never physically there, why don't you post again having a pop at Alibags, G-Force, Pengy & Tigger and The Fair Bears?

I can-not post again as none of the coins actually belong to me, therefore it would be inappropriate for me to do so....

Rutson:- Second, I've a lot on my plate right now and can REALLY do without a public roasting over this

Again , I've apologised if I caused offence, the 20+ postings by yourself over the past few days must be time consuming but I am not the only one with this concern judging by the nature of the replies.

Rutson:- I'm sorely tempted to chuck the bloody thing out of the hotel window

Maybe the whole point of this posting and I will not comment any further on that statement.....

I love this hobby/sport of ours ( Bonnie can confirm that that :huh: ) and I didnt mean to cause any offence but if we can't ask or understand the nature of some of the questions asked here, what use are the forums ??

We have lost a few good cachers who now don't post 'cause of some of the replies they received, all that has been achieved is to lose some excellent advice from experienced people.

A few good ideas have come out of this and maybe future event organisers can take note of some of the good suggestions and judging by some of the replies it is a point that needs to be looked at and considered by us all?

It wasn't aimed at any one person so please don't anyone think that it was, it was purely to find out what happens to TBs after an event and it so happened that one of mine has just been caught up in one.....

Edited by Clyde.

First off, you will know that in moderating this forum I tend to come down hard on what I perceive as "personal abuse". I have to say though, that in this case I saw no evidence of this and to be fair to him, Clyde kept his comments general and quite proper. Let's hope it settles down quickly as he has apologised for any inadvertant problems caused.

On the general question of extra rules/guidelines for Events and TB's, while I support the sentiment I can't see that adding extra conditions on the organisers will help matters. I think that the best "drivers" here are peer pressure and open discussions such as this thread.

I know the frustration of having a TB go missing, having "lost" one only this week. But as Rutson says, it's only a bit of plastic or whatever. When I release a TB or Geocoin into the wild I do so in the full knowledge that it has a high chance of going missing at some stage in the future. Frustrating, yes, but in the end that's the way it is.

Without the fear of repeating myself, I would like to say that the reason for this posting was not to point the finger at any one individual but to try and find an answer to an ongoing problem ( and a new one for me ) and so far I've had some good advice and ideas. If you look my TB missions and even the caches that we've placed, we've tried to make them as fun as possible for everyone to enjoy and to put back in what we have taken out of this great hobby......

Anyway back to my original query, on taking the advice offered by the replies I can state that Rutson has kindly 're-logged' the tb in question so it is now showing as in his possesion and not in an archieved cache, also another one of my TBs has now been withdrawn from an upcoming event so hopefully that also can be placed into a 'proper' cache and run the risk of going awol by other means :laughing:

I think that the idea that Alibags has suggested is a kool one, it may mean a spot of inconvenience for anyone attending the event but I personally think it would be a small price to pay to ensure that any of us don't become a object of guilt or finger pointing such as " Well it was in his/hers hands last " etc

Finally, without running the risk of disagreeing with the Mods and other cachers :laughing:

The statement " its just a piece of plastic or whatever " is very true, I myself know and understand this too well but just because this great sport/hobby of ours is not mainstream doesn't mean that we should treat the 'game pieces' any different to any other sport.

Bonnie often says to me that football is 22 grown men kicking a plastic bag of wind around but try telling that to the millions who go and watch a match every week.

Everyone has an opinion about things and that is what makes us unique, all I'm saying is 'One Man's Flip Is Another Man's Flop' and we should just respect that, whatever we feel or think.....

Does anyone else have any ideas that could work to prevent this kind of hicup happening ?

My CITO event that I held in April, still has 2 TB's in it.

I certainly don't think that because I organised the event that I am responsible for those TB's. As I don't believe that I am responsible for a TB going missing from one of my caches. I don't particularly blame the people who dropped the TB's off, but they perhaps could have ensured the safety of the TB. Who I do blame though is the person or people that picked the TB's up and have not bothered to record the fact. Something which happens to TB's and coins all the time.

I see that you haven't actually organised an event yourself, so you may not realise how much time goes into hosting the actual day?

I had organised an event which went extremely well. I had over 50 people turn up, which at the time was a good amount of numbers. I was so busy making sure everything went well and that I spoke to as many people as possible that not only did someone else look after my daughter for me, but one cacher was noted as not logging his attendance and then saying something along the lines in an open forum that people where ignorant at the event.

Part of this was trying to flog a dead horse maintaining the movement of TB's in and out of the event. People weren't really that interested at me trying to police what they were doing. To be honest I can't blame them?

So I don't see why I or anyone else should police grown people to try and make sure they do things properly. Then perhaps I won't get nasty comments on open forums about being ignorant. :laughing: