GEOBUGS

REDRAT007

Hello all...

I have been planning a camping trip with my family and a long time friend and his daughter. I am very new to Geocaching. actually this will be our collective first time, but I have spent a lot of time on this site reading up.. I have ordered a few Geobugs for OUR first find/drop.. I went to the Geobug area on this site and was looking at the gallery and noticed that not a lot of the bugs have much of a "history". Is this not as big as just finding a site and logging the find??? I have really been talking these bugs up to my family and my friend's family. If I wanted something to go from Florida to California it might take a lifetime. Or am I missing something???? I also was plannig on requesting some photos along the journy but the individual gallerys dont have any if even one??? Again am im issing something here?? I also was planning on requesting some photos of our bugs along there journeys but the individual galleries don’t seem to have any if even one photo at the starting point??? Again am I missing something here??

Thanks in advance!!!

RR

Im so new I called em Geobugs..............After reading most of the following thread i will now refer to the as TRAVEL BUGS or TB for short...So much to learn

Edited by REDRAT007

Many bugs have been in circulation for a long time. Others disappear quickly. There is some luck involved. I had a TB disappear from the first cache it was placed in, never to resurface, while I've had others that have traveled thousands of miles.

As far as a Tbug going across country, it could take a lifetime and it could take a week. Its all a matter of who picks it up and where they are headed.

If you would like people to take photos you can ask for them to do so on the bug's page. You are more likely to get people to comply if your bug is cute or otherwise interesting.

Oh, and as a PS, if I read your post correctly, you are planning on placing a cache while on a camping trip. If that is the case be sure to read the guidelines for placing a cache and pay particular attention to the section about vacation caches.

Edited by briansnat

We had 3 TB's that we bought while on a trip to Maine.

One (a bear for my husband's mom) we left in Maine with the goal to go all the way across the U.S. to our home in WA. It met its goal.

The other two we brought home with us to give to our kids. They named them after their cat and dog.

The cat wanted to go to Hawaii and bring back some things from Hawaii as well as notes in its pouch. It made its goal. My daughter got some sand and also some semi-precious stones from Iraq. The people who met the goal did not post pictures, but they took pictures and put them in with the TB for my daughter.

The dog for my son did not meet its goal. The cache that it was in was raided and the TB was taken.

People got quite attached to watching the bugs travel around. Some of them enjoyed it just as much as us. Yes, some TB'swill reach their goal, and some will not. You really can't put your heart too much into it, otherwise it will break. Just hope, and then be glad if it happens.

FuzzyWuzzy the bear Took almost 2 years to go across the country.

Moonlight (the cat) Took a year and a half to go to Hawaii and back.

T-Bone (the dog) Almost 4 months before it disapeared.

And about pictures, there is something that I'm still just learning. TB's with cool goals and wishes of pictures really bog me down. I have a hard time keeping bugs too long as it is. If they have a goal or a picture that they want, I keep the bug even longer because I feel silly just dropping it in the next cache that I go to. But then I never get around to doing those things and keep the TB forever. And then a lot of the time I just end up throwing it in a cache out of guilt and don't take a picture or meet a goal.

When you go through lots of TB's, you tend to just try and keep them moving and don't take a lot of pictures and stuff. Sad, but true. This also reminds me that I have a lot of bugs over the years that I have pictures for in my computer that I just need to upload but I have been lazy. It takes so long to upload pictures.

Just saying, because if other people are like me, this may help explain why a lot of TB's do not have pictures in their logs.

I went to the Geobug area on this site and was looking at the gallery and noticed that not a lot of the bugs have much of a "history".

I think that the bugs in the TB Gallery are listed in the order of most-recently-posted pictreus to the bugs page -- not pictures that finders have posted to their logs, but pictures that owners have added to the bug's description. Since this is usually only done when a TB is first activated, the bugs in the gallery will often have no history at all yet, since most of them were just created and have not been released yet.

To get a sampling of bugs with a more varied history, try checking the page of a cache that has had a lot of bugs pass through it. Under the Inventory section, check the "See the history" link; that will produce a list of all of the bugs that have ever been logged into the cache. You can click on them individually to see their travels.

For instance, here's a list of the more than 700 bugs that have passed through a cache near us. Lots of them have been traveling for years.

Travel Bugs (and geocoins) are rather luck-of-the-draw.

I sent a TB from a cache in my home town (Ottawa) with the intent of having it work its way to Edmonton, Alberta, to meet my friend. So far it's been almost 2 years and it hasn't even left Ontario. It may never get there, but it's fun to watch.. and hope.

I saw a set of TB's that were released by a vacationing family in Florida. Their 9-year-old son and his sister both sent TB's from caches in Florida and were trying to race them home to Sarnia, Ontario. The sister's TB is still in the southern US somewhere. The boy's TB made its way to a rest stop along the 401 in Ontario where I, and a number of others, could have easily brought it to Sarnia, but that's where the bug disappeared. :D

I might set out another TB and see if it has better luck getting to Edmonton (or elsewhere) but at this point I'm not sure I want to spend more money on TB tags.