Attributes as a searchable

flamejobgrrl

I see you are a premium member. You can do this with pocket queries. But, keep the search simple. A pocket query asking for all caches within 50 miles that have the dog-friendly attribute will provide useful results. But don't try anything fancy, like "all caches with the significant hike attribute, but which don't have the ticks attribute." Can't do that. Yet.

But don't try anything fancy, like "all caches with the significant hike attribute, but which don't have the ticks attribute." Can't do that. Yet.

Sure you can. Raine has done a great job fixing the attribute search. I hadn't looked in awhile.

Edit: Sorry, spoke too soon. Thought I could include one attribute and exclude another but looks like it just takes the include attribute. So I can get significant hikes or exclude ticks but not both.

Edited by tozainamboku

The last I checked, you could not exclude caches that had X attribute selected. You could only exclude caches that had the "no" version of X attribute selected. Has that changed? It is pretty hard to keep with Raine lately!

The exclude attributes is really screw up. If I exclude a positive attribute it excludes any cache with no attributes. If I exclude a negative attribute it excludes any caches that do not have at least one negative attribute.

So if you say you don't want that attribute to be there.. should it return caches that don't have that attribute selected and any that have the "NO" option selected as well?

Well, although it won't make programming very easy, there should be three options, since each attribute has three options. Most attribute have both a positive and negative, but you can also have neither. Therefore, to make a useful search feature, you should be able to choose any of those three options.

Perhaps, for example, I want to find caches which are kid friendly, but doesn't require a significant hike. Most people won't go out of their way to display a negative significant hike attribute. I should be able to select that I want caches which have the kid friendly attribute, but also don't have significant hike attribute (as opposed to having the no significant hike attribute).

Jamie

Here's how I would think it would work:

Attributes to include

Attributes to exclude

In the list of attributes an attribute can be unselected, selected in the 'has' states, or selected in the 'does not have' state (with the diagonal line thru it).

The query should return all caches that have all the included attributes in the state they are selected and don't have any of the excluded attributes in the state they are selected.

Examples:

Attributes to include : significant hike

Attributes to exclude : No dogs allowed

Would return all caches that have the significant hike attribute unless they have No dogs allowed attribute.

Atttibutes to include : significant hike, dogs allowed

Attributes to exclude : none

Would return all caches that have both significant hike and dogs allowed attributes

Attributes to include : none

Attributes to exclude : boat required, Not available 24/7

Would exclude any cache with either the boat required or Not available 24/7