Resetting GPSr to look at new WAAS birds

Procedure for Garmin GPS V (v. 2.5 software):

Backup your routes/waypoints/tracks before doing this - they will be wiped out.

1) Cover or disconnect antenna

2) Hold MENU button down during power up

3) Answer "yes" to user reset

4) Go to Setup and turn back on WAAS Processing

5) Uncover or plug in antenna and let it locate satellites. Make sure that satellite #35 is blocked from reception..

6) Leave on for at least 1/2 hour to get new almanac and adjust itself

If all is fine, satellites #48 & 51 should show up in the WAAS section and be used. My testing was displaying 9 ft accuracy readings on the display moving today and on a waypoint averaging session of 45 minutes, accuracy was displayed as 3 ft.

I was getting 48 & 51 at full scale today here in So. Wisconsin.

This is a good thing....enjoy

73 from 807,

Itchytweed

Interesting, I'll have to try it instead of using the info at www.gpsinformation.org/dale/dgps.htm.

Course I can only get sat 35 here in DE, bad enough I need to try to avoid the trees as it is.

Anyone try this on the east coast yet?

You should be able to see the other two sats. The almanac has to be wiped for the new birds to be recognized. Or you can be in WAAS mode and set up a blind so the unit can't see WAAS 35 for some time and hopefully will cycle through the numbers. The whole process for me took about 30-45 minutes. All I did was let it sit still for the time.

Good Luck!

Why is it no one wants to use 35 ?

I am in the upper midwest..My GPSr was only seeing 35 and not trying to get 48 & 51 at all. So, I erased the almanac and let the system go through all the numbers for the WAAS birds to locate 48 & 51 and not be satisifed with 35 only. The blocking is only to force the search when the new almanac was received.

The unit still has 35 available to use but now looks for 48 and 51 first because their signals are higher up and stronger than 35. The west coast users will get to use 35 and one of the other ones as well.

Now to find out if 7 foot accuracy means +/- 7 feet or +/- 3.5 feet on my Garmin GPS V...

itchytweed, how did you block 35?

Also, there is only 3 WAAS satellites available to the west coast? I'm on the east coast, but I remember at least 8 of my signal bars had a "D" in them, which I thought meant was a WAAS satellite.

Thanks for any info!

Here is how I pulled this off...

From previous knowledge, I know that my GPS V can't see 35 in its new position from my parking space at work (third spot from front door) as I park facing east. I mount the GPSr on the dash in the center. The high angle of the Jeep Cherokee front window and the location on the dash cuts out almost everything in the western hemispheric view. Since 35 is low in the western sky for me, any signal from it is intercepted by my car roof (metal) and the GPSr is deaf to it. Plus, the side windows are metal passivated as well.

Now I did the almanac reset and left the unit on the dash while eating lunch in the car and watching the satellite info screen. When I saw the unit cycling through the WAAS numbers, I knew all I had to do is wait. When it locked onto 48, another WAAS channel popped up and continued scanning up. Then it locked onto 51. After the 51 lock in, 48 went gray and the GPSr started crunching the data from 51 and springing up D's all over the place.

The accuracy went from 3D 45 feet to 3D Differential 7 feet in about 3 minutes time. SUCCESS!!!

The unit now uses 51 as primary, 48 as secondary and 35 when all else fails.

So, you have to rig up some form of metal shield to block the satellite. If at home outside, a metal cookie sheet should do the task just fine. Just set up the unit in satellite view mode, adjust to block reception of the west, reset the almanac, have a cold one and watch the updating take place.

Will the same process work for the 60CX. I will need to upgrade my firmware first so it will look for the WAAS satellites, but since I already turned on my new GPs and it didn't look for WAAS satellites at all I am concerned that even with the firmware upgrades I will need to do something to do something to force it to look.

Will the same process work for the 60CX. I will need to upgrade my firmware first so it will look for the WAAS satellites, but since I already turned on my new GPs and it didn't look for WAAS satellites at all I am concerned that even with the firmware upgrades I will need to do something to do something to force it to look.

Check your menu options. There is a option probably to turn on WAAS processing and the unit should not be in battery saving mode as well.

Then you should see the birds.

If you have the 60Cx or 60CSx it is already WAAS compliant, but ships with default to Disabled. To Enable WAAS, do the following from the satellite page:

MENU

MENU

SETUP

SYSTEM

WAAS / EGNOS (2nd menu option down)

ENTER

ENABLED

QUIT / QUIT

I was seeing 51 today on my way to work today with my 60CSx with reported accuracy of +/- 13ft In my experience I either get Ds on most of the satellites, or no Ds at all, and they tend to come and go. This is true for both my GPS V and 60CSx. I don't understand what that is all about, perhaps someone who understands the technical aspects of WAAS can explain it.

If you have the 60Cx or 60CSx it is already WAAS compliant, but ships with default to Disabled. To Enable WAAS, do the following from the satellite page:

MENU

MENU

SETUP

SYSTEM

WAAS / EGNOS (2nd menu option down)

ENTER

ENABLED

QUIT / QUIT

I was seeing 51 today on my way to work today with my 60CSx with reported accuracy of +/- 13ft In my experience I either get Ds on most of the satellites, or no Ds at all, and they tend to come and go. This is true for both my GPS V and 60CSx. I don't understand what that is all about, perhaps someone who understands the technical aspects of WAAS can explain it.

For a good explanation of WAAS, go to http://gps.faa.gov. There is a good explanation to WAAS there.

The dropouts are caused mostly by garbled reception. If the WAAS birds are intermittent in reception, the correction data being sent will be intermittent as well and when the correction packet expires, the "D" drops out. The GPSr then has to wait for the next valid packet to start correcting all over again. Having more than one WAAS bird available helps ensure a consistent flow of correction data.

Hope this helps....

Check your menu options. There is a option probably to turn on WAAS processing and the unit should not be in battery saving mode as well.

How do you clear/reset the almanac on the 60CS?

How do you clear/reset the almanac on the 60CS?

Answered my own question. Hold down ENTER and PAGE while powering up,

OK, i just did it at lunch. Of the WAAS birds, I can "see" 48 and 51. 51 is full signal and locked, 48 is full signal but will not lock, is this normal?

I found a good, high open spot, hooked my Glisson antenna to my 60CS, turned it on and went to lunch. After a half hour or so, i came back to see all sats at 100% with "D"'s but 48 stil blinking' I left it alone to run another 15 min errand and when I came back, same thing. 48 (per the GPS) is visible toward the edge of the west horizon but well within view.

Yes, 48 is not sending ranging signals so will not go black. However, you are still getting WAAS corrections from it. The whole problem is that 35 is NOT sending 48 and 51 in its almanac. 48 and 51 send an almanac for all of the birds. Once you load the alamanac from 48 or 51, it should work.

As stated earlier this should work for any Garmin GPS that does NOT have the Sirf receiver. For those units, updating the firmware is required.

The first thing I did was enable WAAS on my new 60CX, but it still is not looking for any in my area. I believe that is in part because of the outdated firmware for the SirfIII chip. Seems to me that there are threads indicating that until they updated us webupdater others had this same issue.

As I stated above, you need the newest GPS SW firmware on the 60Csx to only it to try and look for 48 and 51.

Okay, this is sooo much fun.. (end sarcastic tone)

I am guessing it has something do with the fact the area I live in just hates the birds other than 35. I had done the almanac update via that link I sent previously, was getting D's on my other birds with 35 remaining greyish, least I was getting D's I figure.

So, I go back to my house from the field I was standing in the middle of at 12am in the morn, see the message & say hey why not, lets try it.

So I backup, do a hard reset & set it outside at 1am & let it sit to 230ish. 35 can not be picked up at my housesite as its surrounded by many high trees & 35 is low on the horizen for me.

The other birds it can see it starts popping in, but not 35, no D's.

Get sick with the flu puts me inside for awhile so today I pop it on my dash & drive around for a few hrs running chores & whatnot. Nope, no 35, no 48, no 51, no updates no D's. (sigh)

I can never see 48 or 51, havent asked my dad yet if he can with his shipside gps's but he did tell me that the almanac has to be redownloaded everytime the gps is turned on.

That you will have to redo this everytime you use your gps, if you are using say a V or something, not the newer ones.

Course this is a man who was adamant that my V didnt have WAAS until I showed him, but at 65 he thinks he knows all since he's been working with them so long. He's been installing shipside garmins for more yrs than I care to admit so maybe he's right (shrugs)

Ahh weelll, it looks to be a nice cool nite, maybe I'll take a chair this time & go to sleep while it looks around for info.

If I understand something though.. Red was saying 35 does not send the info needed for 48 & 51's almanac? So if I cant see them I am SoL trying to load from 35?

Interesting, I'll have to try it instead of using the info at www.gpsinformation.org/dale/dgps.htm.

Course I can only get sat 35 here in DE, bad enough I need to try to avoid the trees as it is.

Anyone try this on the east coast yet?

I'm in Lexington, MA. I did a reset on my eTrex legend by telling it I was in a new location and letting it search. After a little while it picked up 51 with a fairly good signal from the South East Sky just past the first ring (30-45 deg elevation?). Once it started getting correction signals it went to 14' accuracy with in a few minutes. I've got it sitting in the back window of the car to see if it gets any better.

Unfortunately, I am not happy about the demise of the GPS V. The unit was widely functional and versatile for many tasks. Sniff, sniff, hanky....(Roger Rabbit sound) :D

Just to let everyone know, the unit can hold 7ft accuracy while moving. That is good in my book.

Now to find out from Garmin if the accuracy means +/- 7 ft at your location or +/- 3.5 feet at your location. I think that it would really be righteous if it ends up meaning +/- 3.5 feet (~ 1 meter). Lost benchmarks, here I come!!!

Unfortunately, I am not happy about the demise of the GPS V. The unit was widely functional and versatile for many tasks. Sniff, sniff, hanky....(Roger Rabbit sound) :D

Just to let everyone know, the unit can hold 7ft accuracy while moving. That is good in my book.

Now to find out from Garmin if the accuracy means +/- 7 ft at your location or +/- 3.5 feet at your location. I think that it would really be righteous if it ends up meaning +/- 3.5 feet (~ 1 meter). Lost benchmarks, here I come!!!

The +/- refers to a radius. There is a 95% probability that your true position is somewhere within a 7 foot radius of the physical location you are actually at. Within that circle (technically an elipse, I believe) there is an equal 95% probability that you are standing at the true position or you are 14 feet away from it.

The reported accuracy from the unit is more of a relative measure than an absolute.

Unfortunately, I am not happy about the demise of the GPS V. The unit was widely functional and versatile for many tasks. Sniff, sniff, hanky....(Roger Rabbit sound) :cry:

The +/- refers to a radius. There is a 95% probability that your true position is somewhere within a 7 foot radius of the physical location you are actually at. Within that circle (technically an elipse, I believe) there is an equal 95% probability that you are standing at the true position or you are 14 feet away from it.

The reported accuracy from the unit is more of a relative measure than an absolute.

Just got the reply back from Garmin. The accuracy is radius ... sniff, sniff :P

Regardless, I will take it and run. I can't complain about +/- 7 feet at all. Just knowing what they mean helps out immensely.

Now, back to lunch.....

I believe that most older GPS units will only use data from Operational satellites like #33, and #35 until test mode is over on these new WAAS birds (#48, #51)

My eXplorist XL will only see Sats 33(PRN-120), and 35(PRN-122), until Test mode for Sat #48 is over on October 11 2006, and then my eXplorist XL will be happy once WAAS sat #48 ends test mode and goes over to Always ON operational mode here on the 11th of October.

The quote below, quoted from This FAA PDF

Caution

1) The service from both of these GEOs is still undergoing test and has not been certified

and is not yet being operated to FAA standards

2) Unplanned outages may occur at any time

3) The schedule information above may change without notice

4) The signals will be left on overnight and weekends but repairs will not be accomplished

until the next normal working shift if there is a failure

The Schedule of Operation for Satellite #48:

New WAAS GEO Status as of 9/27/06

PanAmSat, Galaxy-15, W133 deg, PRN -135 (48)

Operating in Test Mode with Corrections, integrity of GEO ranging not available.

Activities to cut PRN-135 over to operational tentatively scheduled to start 10/11.

Wednesday 9/27/06 On and off air during maintenance procedure verification testing

Thursday 9/28/06 On and off air during maintenance procedure verification testing

Friday 9/29/06 On and off air during maintenance procedure verification testing

Stability test & data collection planned to start mid day

Saturday 9/30/06 Stability test & data collection, no outages planned

Sunday 10/1/06 Stability test & data collection, no outages planned

Monday 10/2/06 Stability test & data collection, no outages planned

(Possible switch between uplink stations to support software CM re-baselining - 45 second outage any working day this week)

Tuesday 10/3/06 Stability test & data collection, no outages planned

Wednesday 10/4/06 Stability test & data collection, no outages planned

Thursday 10/5/06 Stability test & data collection, no outages planned

Friday 10/6/06 Stability test & data collection, no outages planned

Saturday 10/7/06 Stability test & data collection, no outages planned

Sunday 10/8/06 Stability test & data collection, no outages planned

Monday 10/9/06 Stability test & data collection, no outages planned

Tuesday 10/10/06 Stability test & data collection, no outages planned

Wednesday 10/11/06 System off air as

(uplink systems being disconnected from test master station in preparation of connection to the Operational WAAS)

The Schedule of Operation for Satellite #51:

Telesat, ANIK-1fR, W107.3 deg, PRN -138 (51)

Operating in Test Mode with Corrections, Test GEO ranging available at times

PRN-138 is broadcasting UDREs for PRN-138's and PRN-135's ranging signals

Wednesday 9/27/06 Stability test & data collection, no outages planned

Brief outage possible during occasional switches between the

uplink sites (~45 sec)

Thursday 9/28/06 Stability test & data collection, no outages planned

uplink sites (~45 sec)

Friday 9/29/06 Stability test & data collection, no outages planned

uplink sites (~45 sec)

Saturday 9/30/06 Stability test & data collection, no outages planned

uplink sites (~45 sec)

Sunday 10/1/06 Stability test & data collection, no outages planned

uplink sites (~45 sec)

Monday 10/2/06 Stability test & data collection, no outages planned

uplink sites (~45 sec)

Tuesday 10/3/06 Stability test & data collection, no outages planned

uplink sites (~45 sec)

Wednesday 10/4/06 Stability test & data collection will complete,

Possible multi-hour outage during reconfiguration for next phase

testing

Thursday 10/5/06 Backup for 10/4/06 activities

Possible frequent outages during disruptive testing

Friday 10/6/06 Possible frequent outages during disruptive testing

Saturday 10/7/06 Stability test & data collection, no outages planned

uplink sites (~45 sec)

Sunday 10/8/06 Stability test & data collection, no outages planned

uplink sites (~45 sec)

The US government has taken more than 6 months to move and test WAAS satellites, and hopefully will return to Operational WAAS status for the eastern USA by the 11th of this month, and I don't know why it has taken so long. A few Months ago, I had decided to wait till October at least for any useable WAAS on my Map60Cx, and the eXplorist XL that I have. Seems strange that it would take so long to test the system, unless it is still kinda buggy, and still getting outages with #48 and #51

Please try these links:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...=waas+test+mode

http://www.nstb.tc.faa.gov/incoming/New_WA...0test%20mode%22

I believe that most older GPS units will only use data from Operational satellites like #33, and #35 until test mode is over on these new WAAS birds (#48, #51)

Ummm, No. That is what this thread is about. If you have a Garmin GPS with a Garmin receiver, all you need to do is master reset the unit and let it get the WAAS almanac from 48 or 51 and it will use them happily RIGHT NOW.

I've been doing this for many months.

I think maybe the point that "Got GPS" was making is that these new WAAS birds are still in test mode. If they are there one day (or hour), and gone the next, don't be surprised, at least for a couple more weeks. If they are gone for "a while", and your unit (of whatever age) decides it needs to use a different (older) bird, it will. And then, depending on your particilar manufacturer, unit, firmware rev, etc. it might not go back to trying to look for the new birds again, unless you do another master reset / initialization (or maybe even until you update your firmware, if your Garmin has an "x" in the model).

For me, on the southwest coast with FOUR WAAS birds (new + old) well above the horizon, it has not been a problem for my "old tech" Magellan Meridian. It just seems to be using whichever of the 4 has the best signal and/or with a current Almanac. No problems out here. WAAS is good.

Hey Itchy,

I agree with you when I saw my V dropping down to 7ft accurancy.. course that was in the middle of a wide open field (sigh). Its still better than what I was getting, I'm still holding out for a Legend for my 40th in a couple weeks though, heh.

My V will go to its original occupation of providing my truck with navi abilities with the handheld going in my pack.

I was going to do some caching today but 2 things stopped me,

1-shotgun deer season has open for 2 days & will continuing running like every fri & sat until wk & half reg season in Nov

2- After spending last wkend & beginning of the week doggone sick I dont feel like going out in the pouring rain here.

Have fun all & thanks for the info

Hey Itchy,

I agree with you when I saw my V dropping down to 7ft accurancy.. course that was in the middle of a wide open field (sigh). Its still better than what I was getting, I'm still holding out for a Legend for my 40th in a couple weeks though, heh.

My V will go to its original occupation of providing my truck with navi abilities with the handheld going in my pack.

I was going to do some caching today but 2 things stopped me,

1-shotgun deer season has open for 2 days & will continuing running like every fri & sat until wk & half reg season in Nov

2- After spending last wkend & beginning of the week doggone sick I dont feel like going out in the pouring rain here.

Have fun all & thanks for the info

DiS02,

When you get your new Legend when you turn "30", compare the two for site accuracy, lockup time, etc. I am beginning to wonder if Garmin may have taken two steps back by resorting to the SiRF products with patch antennas instead of staying with their receiver and quadrifilar antennas.

I just got over the "bug" that it was brought home from school by the kids. Had the effects for about three weeks. Yuck! So get better.

??? Legend Cxs don't have Sirf receivers.

Thanks for the correction. I am still curious though about a comparison between the two.

Now back out to yardwork (leaves, leaves, and more leaves). This time of the year is a beauty (the looks of the leaves changing) and a beast (having to clean them up).

Not getting a Legend CXS or a CX, just a plain old Legend, the original that I can snatch for around 120 USD.

I debated the various differences, color, screen size, addon cards, more mem between Legend, Legend CX, Vista, Venture CX, all that stuff on those 4 models of Garmin.

I settled on the plain old Legend as I dont need the extra bells & whistles right now, in 2 yrs I havent changed the map on my V & I'm keeping my V for my vehicle.

I have a laptop that has several different Mapsource maps along with a nice DeLorme Earthmate & Rand McNally Streetfinder which I usually hook up in my truck so I can run my Netstumbler (wireless sniffer) & grab the GPS coords off the DeLorme.

Yes, I'm a tech hound, after all I am a geek, heh.

Since I do benchmarking & waypointing also I'll see if I can do some benchmarks to compare the two, it might not be until Nov though. I have to finish out my Real Estate Licensing class & pass the state reg test so that will take my time until the beginning of Nov.

I do know that my dads old Garmin 12XL grabs the reg birds faster than my V, it doesnt have WAAS so I cant compare that, both running off their regular antennas (the 12s is built in unless you add the addon cable antenna). And yes, I had disabled the WAAS on the V to see.

Accuracy seems to be the same but I havent had a true chance to compare them as he just really loaned it to me last weekend, so I need to grab a day this week to check a mark I know is in Lewes to compare.

Anything else let me know. And thanks for the good wish on getting better, I havent been that sick in ages, forgotten how much 'fun' it was, yeech. And I'm a woman who believes in living her age, its just a number to me 8) Course it doesnt hurt people think I'm about 10-12yrs younger than I really am, I still get carded at restraurents, heh.

Diane

I fired my Legend Cx up in my computer room this morning (window faces West) and was receiving #48 and #51, but not at the same time. i did get them both on my screen for about 5 seconds together, but I think it was losing #48 as it picked up #51. I didn't have to reset anything for them to show up though.

#48 couldn't produce a solid bar on my GPSr today.

2lmberp.jpg

4dxnjg7.jpg

Also, I live in North Eastern MD.

Edited by BEEE240

Team SB,

I cant answer that question about Magellans as I've never owned one. Have you tried asking in a new topic on this here board, the GPS one?

It sometimes helps to be as specific as you can in the subject line to get people to look at it.

Maybe 'Need help hard resetting suchnsuch model GPS' for the title/subject?

Good luck with it.

I fired my Legend Cx up in my computer room this morning (window faces West) and was receiving #48 and #51, but not at the same time. i did get them both on my screen for about 5 seconds together, but I think it was losing #48 as it picked up #51. I didn't have to reset anything for them to show up though.

#48 couldn't produce a solid bar on my GPSr today.

2lmberp.jpg

4dxnjg7.jpg

Also, I live in North Eastern MD.

48 is broadcasting tone but no data. 51 is sending out tone and data. I was picking up 51 here with no problems during a test and even in the house in the kitchen.

Since I've already done this, is it something I really should have done? Couldn't see 35, 48, 51 before and still can't. I'm sitting down here in San Marcos, TX between San Antonio and Austin. Doesn't look like anything changed. Did it not work?

r

Battery Saver On? WAAS reception off?

You should be seeing them all from Texas.

Hmmmmm.....

Since I've already done this, is it something I really should have done? Couldn't see 35, 48, 51 before and still can't. I'm sitting down here in San Marcos, TX between San Antonio and Austin. Doesn't look like anything changed. Did it not work?

r

Hmmmmm.....

sorry for double posting...server error

Edited by itchytweed

Success on the GPS 60 in Lexington, MA!

Here's what I did:

1. First I reset the unit, then I hit the menu button on the satellite screen and hit New Location.

2. I made sure WAAS was turned on.

3. I stood in the parking lot facing to the S.E. and used my body to shield reception from 35.

4. It took about 5 - 10 minutes for the GPSr to cycle through all the WAAS birds. It started on 35 and it would hop up two satellites trying to find the WAAS birds, eventually it incremented its way up to 50 and 51 and finally it locked onto 51

I know there are not many Magellan users, but I have an explorist 500 and a Sportrak Pro. Can somebody tell me how to reset those units and clear the almanac so I get the new WAAS? I get a signal on a WAAS but I cant see a number it just has a W.

Thanks.

I have a Sportrak Pro as well,,,,,you need to re-initialize the unit. When you restart, the almanac is reset by the info it gets from the first WAAS bird. I live in Eastern Canada and have had a hard time getting the new WAAS bird in the south. Found in the forums this method and it worked. But having said that Saturday I had WAAS coverage from the Bird in the far west, (not sure why this one showed up again) which is the one that was moved and have not been receiving any WASS data from for months. My Father in Law had his Meridian on at the same time and he was receiving the new one in the south with no WAAS but couldn't see the old one in the west???

It was nice to finally see WAAS coverage in the EAST!!!!!

r

Hmmmmm.....

I know WAAS was off but I think the battery saver feature was on and I was trying this in a pretty good rain storm. Will try again later today but have to take the wife to Cabella's now. Will let you know how things turn out. thanks

r

OK, on an Explorist, I don't see a satellite number for WAAS. It just has a 'W'. How do you know which bird it is seeing.

I don't think it really matters which WAAS satellite you are seeing or if you are even receiving WAAS corrections. WAAS on my eXplorist 400 doesn't seem to improve my accuracy at all, just stability. I have no trouble finding caches without WAAS. I don't care either way. If my GPSr is getting corrections, all the better. If not, no biggie. If you are seeing plenty of regular GPS satellites you will be just fine.

Check out this reply from Peter in another topic about Garmin's satellite numbers versus Magellan's Ws.