TB SAR

Hula Bum

I recently decided to try and be proactive and do something about all the travel bugs that have been sitting in our local caches for months (more than 2 to be exact). I was thinking that maybe if I posted what I've done in the forums others would follow suit and it would spread (I'm sure there are already people doing it, but hoping I can get more to!).

I went through the closest 100 caches and looked through all the travel bugs. I made a list of the cache, the TB name and the length it had been in the cache. I then posted the information on our local yahoo group and asked if people could help me in checking on these caches and the bugs. We've been working to get all the missing ones marked as such and move the ones that are truly there to another area.

It feels quite rewarding and is nice to get some of the cache pages cleaned up and accurate. It's also nice for the owners of the bugs/coins to have an accurate status report.

I recently decided to try and be proactive and do something about all the travel bugs that have been sitting in our local caches for months (more than 2 to be exact). I was thinking that maybe if I posted what I've done in the forums others would follow suit and it would spread (I'm sure there are already people doing it, but hoping I can get more to!).

I went through the closest 100 caches and looked through all the travel bugs. I made a list of the cache, the TB name and the length it had been in the cache. I then posted the information on our local yahoo group and asked if people could help me in checking on these caches and the bugs. We've been working to get all the missing ones marked as such and move the ones that are truly there to another area.

It feels quite rewarding and is nice to get some of the cache pages cleaned up and accurate. It's also nice for the owners of the bugs/coins to have an accurate status report.

Sounds like a great idea. Maybe you should also post it in the message forum for your area.

If any Cache owners, or TB owners, are unresponsive to marking them missing, please send me a link to the TB page, and I can mark them missing for you. I check the TB logs and cache logs to confirm that someone has reported it missing, then leave a note on the cache page about what to do if it's found, and then move to the "Unknown Location". Recently someone sent me a list with over 30 missing bugs on it. I prefer shorter lists at a time, but I worked on that one as I had free moments, and it took a while! I'm happy to help.

Oh boy! The messages are flooding in. Can I make a request?

First contact the owners of the caches and the TB's to see if they will mark them missing, and if you wish me to mark it missing, can you help me out a little and send the link, not just the TB tracking #, since you ahve the TB page open already? I'd like to have time to get outside too. THANKS! I appreciate it.

Before I go re-inventing the wheel. Does someone have a write up on specifically how to mark one missing step by step. I know how to do it, but before I go through the steps and right them all down, maybe someone else already has. This way I can send it to owners for reference if they don't know how. Mahalo!

Before I go re-inventing the wheel. Does someone have a write up on specifically how to mark one missing step by step. I know how to do it, but before I go through the steps and right them all down, maybe someone else already has. This way I can send it to owners for reference if they don't know how. Mahalo!

This is what I post on the bug page. Reword it as you see fit.

Unfortunately this bug has been verified as not being in the cache.

You can remove the bug from being listed in the cache and place it into an unknown location. This will keep people from making a trip to the cache for a bug that isn't there.

On the bug page, under Travel Bug Owner Options is a pulldown menu labled 'Recalculate Distance', in there is the option "Mark Bug Missing".

You can always retrieve the bug back out at a later time if you wish to do so. Thanks.

Edited by BlueDeuce