Main Page Gallery Images Gone

Jamie Z

Using Firefox 1.5 and IE 6.0, when I open the main page of geocaching dot com, the gallery images which used to cycle through no longer appear. Instead, I get a blank grey area. No other images are broken, and I haven't changed any setting recently that I know. Like I said, this happens in both Firefox and IE.

Am I the only one?

Jamie

Using Firefox 1.5 and IE 6.0, when I open the main page of geocaching dot com, the gallery images which used to cycle through no longer appear. Instead, I get a blank grey area. No other images are broken, and I haven't changed any setting recently that I know. Like I said, this happens in both Firefox and IE.

Am I the only one?

Jamie

I too use Firefox and it works for me. GC.com the only site you have trouble with?

You sure you didn't install Norton or some other antivirus software lately? Sounds like you have a banner blocker turned too far up.

Interesting... In fact I do have Norton Internet Security, but I've had it for four or five months now. The gallery photos have worked fine until just a few days ago. I don't recall changing any settings recently. And I've noticed no problem on any other website. Other images on the geocaching site appear fine.

That said... the disappearing gallery photos roughly coincides with my Windows Live Messenger not being able to connect, and I haven't been able to fix it. I suspect the two problems are related.

Cripes. I spent about an hour today trying to get Live Messenger to work, even disabling my firewall and virus protection to no avail. Anyone have any ideas as to what setting I may have bumped to cause these troubles?

Jamie

Uninstalled Live Messenger (which used to work until a few days ago) and installed MSN Messenger 7.0. Works fine, but I'm still stuck with two grey boxes on the GC.com main page. Cannot find anything in my Norton settings which might be related. Any nudges in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Jamie

Jeremy,

I realize it's not necessarily a GC.com issue, so thanks for the help.

You may be onto something. Ads appear fine on the main page, but gallery images are blank. The blank areas do not show up as links, either.

nogallery.jpg

But as you predicted, ads on other pages don't appear. I hadn't noticed that before:

noad.jpg

I did find some setting for "Show images from same host only" and it's not checked... I dunno. Even when I disable my anti-virus, the problem still appears.

Is there some correlation to the main page gallery images and the ads on pages other than the main?

Jamie

Well both are served on other web servers, so I suspect you have something running on your end that is blocking any images being sent to the local machine. We actually have img.geocaching.com map to our image server but since the image is something that is created with a program as a dynamic image your banner blocker may just be dumping it. Try allowing img.geocaching.com, img.Groundspeak.com, and if you care to have banners, banman5.Groundspeak.com.

Since we only choose advertisements that would interest geocachers it would be a nice to have, but I can understand folks who are anti-ads of any kind.

Even when I disable my anti-virus, the problem still appears.

Apparently I lied. I disabled my antivirus and restarted my system. Gallery images and ads appear fine. So I need to find where it is in the antivirus that is blocking the image server. Hrmph.

Jeremy, thanks for the help. Don't suppose you're a Norton Internet Security tech guy too... :P

Jamie

More update:

Found an "Ad Block" setting in Norton Security. Turned it off. Ads appear fine. Yay! Or not.. .heh. But the gallery images appear, that's good.

Still no Live Messenger though, although I can get an older version of MSN Messenger to work. Not sure what's causing that, especially since Live Messenger used to work until not too long ago.

Jamie