Beta-Test

Haffy

Just recently I received an email from Margot Kelly an author and photographer about her efforts regarding getting caching reinstated on NPS lands. For info regarding how this test will be going and any other info that can be passed along, I would like to suggest that you go to the link below to read more about it. Let's hope that everything goes well and more NPS lands will be able to be opened up for all cachers. Keep your fingers crossed.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1950

Sounds good, but based on what I read in the thread you linked this 'beta version' also sounds like a pretty severe compromise.

According to the NPS guy it won't be a typical Geocache -- more like a 'puzzle-multi-micro-letterbox.'

Please keep in mind that this is a pilot program aimed to strike a balance between the desires of traditional geocachers and the regulations, mandates, policies of the National Park Service. For that reason, there is no traditional cache. What you will be experiencing is a puzzle or mystery cache with multiple offset caches. At the end there will eventually be a log book and cancellation stamp ...

Thanks again!

Stuart West

Branch Chief -- Remote Areas

Acadia National Park

"At the end there will eventually be a log book and cancellation stamp." Where will the log book be, in his office? In the gift shop? Outside the park?

I'm not criticizing. It sounds like a cache I'd like to do myself, and I fully support what's being done. I sincerely hope it succeeds in convincing the NPS to back off from what I think has been an extremely unreasonable geocaching policy.

I just hope that at some point they will see that it's OKAY to leave a few thoughtfully-placed weatherproof boxes of trinkets here and there in the parks, that it's OKAY for us taxpayers to actually ENJOY the parklands that we OWN, and that the game doesn't need to be quite so sanitized, restricted and watered-down before it can be allowed onto NPS lands.

Let's hope this strangely contrived "cache" is just an intermediate step toward an eventual policy which will allow normal geocaching to take place in OUR national parks.

...I just hope that at some point they will see that it's OKAY to leave a few thoughtfully-placed weatherproof boxes of trinkets here and there in the parks, that it's OKAY for us taxpayers to actually ENJOY the parklands that we OWN, and that the game doesn't need to be quite so sanitized, restricted and watered-down before it can be allowed onto NPS lands.....

Given the NPS has a habit of building roads, buildings, paths, trails, waterfountains, and leases lands for developmenet or redevelopment to For Profit businesses they may just figure out that geocaching can fit into the greater scheme of things at a national park.

The beautiful thing about an unregulated cache is that it's not a federal action and doesn't cost the taxpayers millions of dollars to study. It has the side benefit of drawing people to the very things that made the park worth developing to begin with.

I have an Idea :tired: ..Why doesn't the NPS hire a guy {let's say me] To go around and put out Geocaches on NPS land.

That way they could have total control over what is put out there,and I would be the only one allowed to place caches......I'm just sayin.

O'BG

Think of the Frequent Flyer miles you could rack up with that deal. If you need a baggage handler or driver, I'd be willing!!