New Caching Screensaver

Just under a year ago we picked up a CD from a cache called Hidden Treasures which contained four screensavers created by a Cacher called Lassitude. It featured scenic photographs taken by Cachers from all over the country - the CD was designed to distribute the files to anyone who found it.

Lassitude no longer goes caching and the CD itself dates back to 2004 and I've been toying with the idea of creating a new version. All it would need is some photographs, and looking at DRC's recent thread there is no shortage of talent in that area! I'm going to call my version "Cache Sights" (a little play on words!) unless anyone can think of a better name!

I've created a webpage with more details which is at: http://www.philcooling.co.uk/geocaching/screensaver/

but put simply you can send photos to me which I will then take and put in to a screensaver - the photos will be attributed to you however.

Once it is complete you will be able to download it and run it on your PC (sorry Mac fans). I'll also put some CDs in caches we visit.

If you think this is a good idea, please contribute - this won't work without you!

Any questions, post here, contact me via my GC.com profile or via the Contact page on the website.

Phil (the "Phil" half of Phil and Ruth! :laughing: )

Well done. We loved Lassitude's four screensavers and as DRC's caching pictures thread demonstrates, there are lots of fantastic pictures out there.

We've also had logs on our caches lucky enough to feature in Lassitudes' screensaver, saying that people enjoyed the picture and wanted to do the cache - great marketing!

We'll definitely contribute and look forward to the new version.

I tried but got this error,

pload files for the Cache Sights Screen Saver

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046'

Permission denied

/geocaching/screensaver/index.asp, line 194

Dave

Sorry about that - should be working again now! I was adding some sanity checking to verify the form details before submission which may have interferred with your upload. :mad: I've stopped fiddling now! :) Please try it again.

I reduce all of my pictures to 800x600 pixels as they load better onto GC.com, looks like mine are too small for you. :laughing:

Send them over anyway! I'll take a look at them and see how they work in the screensaver - it'll resize them to fit the screen so anything too small could start to look weird on larger monitors but I can give them a try on our 19" TFT screen and see if they look OK - if they are, I'll include them.

Phil

I reduce all of my pictures to 800x600 pixels as they load better onto GC.com, looks like mine are too small for you. :laughing:

Send them over anyway! I'll take a look at them and see how they work in the screensaver - it'll resize them to fit the screen so anything too small could start to look weird on larger monitors but I can give them a try on our 19" TFT screen and see if they look OK - if they are, I'll include them.

Phil

That's good I'll have a look through my pics.