Web definitions for Geocoin

AtwellFamily

Web definitions for Geocoin

A Geocoin is a token used in geocaching. It can be left behind in geocaches, to be found by others and kept as trophies or traded or re-cached. Geocoins are often minted with the name of their state or country of origin, or with a given geocacher's name or handle. Some geocoins are imprinted with a code that can be entered into a website so that the geocoin can be tracked as it travels from cache to cache.

Underline and red done by me....maybe this is one reason why they are disappearing? :blink:

I think geocoins need a better PR rep. :blink:

"What is a Travel Bug"

A Travel Bug is a registered trademark of Groundspeak Inc used to describe a dogtag used in Geocaching. It is moved from cache to cache, and its travels can be logged on a website. Each travel bug tag is printed with a unique number, which is needed to post a log online.

Travel bugs are tracked on the Groundspeak-owned website Geocaching.com, but there are a number of other tracking sites such as Geotag Tracker or Traveler Tags that log other types of trackable items.

Some travel bugs have missions to travel to a specific cache, location or a certain type of location. Other travel bugs simply have the goal of travelling as far and widely as possible. Travel bugs may on occasion have their tasks disrupted, either via theft or by landing in a Travel Bug Prison. Theft simply occurs when the person who found the bug fails to place it in another cache, and is considered quite rude. A Travel Bug Prison is typically a cache located in a remote place, or a place unusually difficult to access. Bugs placed in a Travel Bug prison may be delayed in their tasks for weeks or months at a time.

Similar to a travel bug, a geocoin is a coin printed with a tracking number, to allow its movement to be logged online.

Good lord, how did we get from a definition of something to thieves and jerks?

SOME PEOPLE JUST DON'T KNOW! You can't lump them all into one group. Please refrain from calling people names in this forum. Read the guidleines. Even if you're not directing it at anyone in particular here, you are directing it towards the uninformed.

Now, if you really want to do something about that, the definition you pulled up is from Wikipedia. You, as an ordinary citizen, can edit Wikipedia. If you want that changed, it can be changed.

Might I suggest we change this:

A Geocoin is a token used in geocaching. It can be left behind in geocaches, to be found by others and kept as trophies or traded or re-cached. Geocoins are often minted with the name of their state or country of origin, or with a given geocacher's name or handle. Some geocoins are imprinted with a code that can be entered into a website so that the geocoin can be tracked as it travels from cache to cache.

to this:

A Geocoin is a token used in geocaching. It can be left behind in geocaches, to be found by others and traded or re-cached. Each individual geocoin page will tell you what the goal is for that particular geocoin. Geocoins are often minted with the name of their state or country of origin, or with a given geocacher's name or handle. Most geocoins are produced by individuals at their own expense, who then trade, sell, or release them into caches. Some geocoins are imprinted with a code that can be entered into a website so that the geocoin can be tracked as it travels from cache to cache. Photos can be uploaded with the online logs to tell stories of its travels.

Since I launched my geocoin-info.net site, I've had the following on the main page:

Geocoin: A game token used in the high-tech treasure hunting adventure known as Geocaching. These coins are both trackable and collectable. Once a coin is registered or "activated", it has a mission to travel the globe from Geocache to Geocache. Coins that have not been activated or do not include traveling instructions, can be collected and traded. Please take the time to research any coin you find in a geocache.

Now, if you really want to do something about that, the definition you pulled up is from Wikipedia. You, as an ordinary citizen, can edit Wikipedia. If you want that changed, it can be changed.

Yeah, what the big globe said. Uh, not that I'm calling you "big" Eartha! Oh nevermind....

Anyway, as pointed out, this is something you CAN change - so do it.

Yeah, what the big globe said. Uh, not that I'm calling you "big" Eartha! Oh nevermind....

Anyway, as pointed out, this is something you CAN change - so do it.

Why change it? The definition as it stands is correct.

Correct as is, except some puncuation.

WAS:

SHOULD BE:

A Geocoin is a token used in geocaching. It can be left behind in geocaches, to be found by others, kept as trophies, traded or re-cached. Geocoins are often minted with the name of their state or country of origin, or with a given geocacher's name or handle. Some geocoins are imprinted with a code that can be entered into a website so that the geocoin can be tracked as it travels from cache to cache.

Mostly, it is awkward how "re-cached" is worded. It should read something more along the lines of, "replaced in another cache to travel on its personal goals..."

It previously left little need to read further than "to be found by others and kept as trophies..." for most finders who may do a google or wiki search.

JM2C

Edited by NeverSummer

Also, on a separate note, why isn't the FAQ updated to include travel bugs and geocoins, with a description, in the "What is usually in a cache?" section?

Is there a reason there isn't a TB and geocoin FAQ section or info section on the "Getting Started" front page, or geocaching.com home page? There's not even a glossary meaning in the glossary!

Edited by NeverSummer

Since I launched my geocoin-info.net site, I've had the following on the main page:

Geocoin: A game token used in the high-tech treasure hunting adventure known as Geocaching. These coins are both trackable and collectable. Once a coin is registered or "activated", it has a mission to travel the globe from Geocache to Geocache. Coins that have not been activated or do not include traveling instructions, can be collected and traded. Please take the time to research any coin you find in a geocache.

This seems to imply that coins that aren't trackable aren't geocoins. How about.... "These coins can be either trackable or non-trackable and are considered collectable. Trackable coins can be activated and put into caches with the intention of moving from cache to cache in the same manner as a travel bug. Non-trackable coins are usually left in caches as a trade item or ,when attached to a mission statement or tb tag, intended to travel from cache to cache. Geocoins can also be considered collectable items and are often traded or kept in collections."

Thoughts??

Could you/me , owner of the geocoin, possibly put it in a plastic bag sealed with directions as to what the coin should do?????? Then the person finding it would know what to do.....some instructions to what the coins purpose is.....I'm confused as to what I should do if I happen to find one. Reading all these confusing posts made me more confused then I was before I started reading about them, is that confusing writing to me or you? What? Oh, yeah, the coin thing....see I forgot what I was talking about because YOU ALL ARE CONFUSING ME!!!! Thanks!! Hope to find one one day, til then, I'll just have to sit back and wonder.....

Could you/me , owner of the geocoin, possibly put it in a plastic bag sealed with directions as to what the coin should do?????? Then the person finding it would know what to do.....some instructions to what the coins purpose is.....I'm confused as to what I should do if I happen to find one. Reading all these confusing posts made me more confused then I was before I started reading about them, is that confusing writing to me or you? What? Oh, yeah, the coin thing....see I forgot what I was talking about because YOU ALL ARE CONFUSING ME!!!! Thanks!! Hope to find one one day, til then, I'll just have to sit back and wonder.....

Much of the time, people actually do include a mission card, or some other kind of tag, that indicates that the coin is activated (that is, that it has a mission) and usually has the mission written on it as well.

There are a couple of important things to remember:

1) When you look at a cache listing, look at the cache's inventory -- it's on the right-hand side of the page. If the traveller (travel bug or coin) has been logged properly, it will be listed here. You can then look at the travellers' pages. I find that this is really useful: by looking beforehand, I can read the mission online and decide whether or not I can help. If I can't, then I know to leave the bug or coin in the cache when I find it.

2) You sometimes will find stuff in the cache that is not in the inventory. This is because it wasn't logged correctly. By all means, pick it up and take it home (but remember to TRADE EVENLY or TRADE UP for it, meaning: leave some nice swag in its place), then use the tracking number on the item to find its page (that is, if it has been activated, it will have a page which will list its mission). You can then:

2a) Log the item -- on the item's page, use the option to log it which is on the menu on the upper-right hand side of its page. Choose the option to "grab it from somewhere else", which will move the item into your invendory.

2b) Now, go back to the cache and log your find. When you do this, you'll see that you have the option to drop the item into the cache. Do this.

2c) Go back to the traveller's page and use the option to log it again, but this time "retrieve it" from the cache you just logged it into. By doing this, you ensure that the traveller's online travel is tracked correctly.

Sometimes it's hard to figure out what the tracking number is. The numbers are usually pretty small, and it's really easy to confuse the 8s and Bs, the 1s and Is, the 0s and Os, etc. If you have trouble and you've tried all of the things the numbers could be, try asking Eartha to help, or figuring out (from the cache logs) who left the item so that you can ask. It may very well be an unactivated coin that is meant to be found as swag ("treasure"). If so, woo hoo! Congrats!

3) Sometimes, you will find that something that is listed in a cache's inventory is not in the cache. Arrgh! Usually, it's because someone picked it up and then forgot to log it (or didn't know how). In that case, it's best to send a message to the traveller's owner letting them know that you did not find it in the cache. The owner can then mark it as missing.

Have fun! : )

They may be placed in geocaches to be found by others and kept as trophies, moved from cache to cache like a Travel Bug, traded, given to other cachers like a calling card, or merely sold and collected.

If I was brand new to geocaching & read the above sentence/paragraph which is in Wikipedia, I would be under the impression I could keep geocoins. The word 'trophies' sounds very misleading to me by being used in that sentence. IMO :D

I waded in and edited the page on Wikipedia. Please feel free to go in and fix any errors I have made, or clear up any obtuse wording I may have used. I did try to make it more clear as to what can be kept and what can't. I also moved stuff into sections that seemed logical, inserted some punctuation where it was sorely needed, fixed several cases of mixed tense (present tense used in several paragraphs, past tense used in the rest), added some new info and links, and did battle against Rampant Capitalization Syndrome.

I just read through it and I find your presentation pretty clear, Jackalgirl. There is an inherent ambiguity with geocoins: some are meant to travel and then some are left as prizes/gifts/trophies/to keep, either for FTFs or just because someone is very generous with their coins. Those people who assume the latter, rather than investigating on gc.com to make sure, might make up a large proportion of the people resonsible for missing or delayed geocoins. While I do believe there are some individuals out there who target geocoins in caches, I prefer to believe that most of the "missing" or delayed geocoin movements are by people who simply don't know, or who choose to assume that it's a gift.

The best defense is a good education on the matter, and Jackalgirl has done us all a great service. Thank you for taking the time to present some of the many faces of geocoins, and particular thanks for doing so with attention to sentence structure and vigilance against excessive capitalizations!

I waded in and edited the page on Wikipedia. Please feel free to go in and fix any errors I have made, or clear up any obtuse wording I may have used. I did try to make it more clear as to what can be kept and what can't. I also moved stuff into sections that seemed logical, inserted some punctuation where it was sorely needed, fixed several cases of mixed tense (present tense used in several paragraphs, past tense used in the rest), added some new info and links, and did battle against Rampant Capitalization Syndrome.

Just read the updated Wikipedia page. I think it is explained a lot better this time around. :(

I find myself using Wikipedia a lot, so this should be very useful information as an introduction to geocoins for anyone who may wander across it.