Backdoor way to log MOCs?

Okiebryan

The other way would be to note the ID number of the cache you want to log (say its GC1234), then go to any cache page and click 'log your visit.' On that page change url to that of the cache you want to log (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=999999 to http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?wp=gc1234) and press enter. The page will reload, the second line that says in reference to:... should now name the cache you want to log (its important you press enter and let the page reload, otherwise your log will get attached to wrong cache). Fill out the log as you normally would and click 'submit log entry' at the bottom.

I'm not a big fan of Member only caches, but doesn't this defeat the purpose of the cache owner making it member only.

Again I'm not a big fan of them so I'm not trying to start anything, but seems to me if I had a cache that was member only (which I would never do), then I would think I'd be a little PO'd that people found a way around it and logged it anyway.

Joe

I understand your feeling about MOC's, but I sure do understand the situation where a family may have several accounts (parents and children) and yes, the cost of a membership really isn't that much, unless you multiply it by 6, like in our family. 3 of our 4 kids do have their own account, but not premium memberships. (They rarely do log their finds, though, and we just log them as a family, but sometimes they do log their finds.)

When we first became members, we did it to support the website, and continue to do so. There are very few MOC's in our area, fortunately, but if it were a problem, I would just write the cache owner and ask if it were ok for the non-premium member to log it also, since they did find it along with us.

Malia

There has been some discussion of this in the Forums. As usual there is a wide diversity of opinion. Anyone who would delete MOC finds by non-Premium members were encouraged to note that beforehand in the Cache description. I think there is a very small percentage of Premium members who feel that strongly about it. In my area I think the number of Premium members who would delete such finds is exactly zero. But in your areas it might be a good idea to ask permission first.

I'm not a big fan of Member only caches, but doesn't this defeat the purpose of the cache owner making it member only.

Again I'm not a big fan of them so I'm not trying to start anything, but seems to me if I had a cache that was member only (which I would never do), then I would think I'd be a little PO'd that people found a way around it and logged it anyway.

Joe

I guess that would depend on what you (or more exactly the cache owner) were trying to do when they made it a MOC. To my thinking, cache owners make their listings MOC to try and keep the number of people hunting/finding the cache down. And (again in my thinking) if someone's using the work around to log the cache they've probably already hunted/found the cache, so there would no point in them not logging it.

However as noted by Cardinal Red this topic has come up before and the opinions vary.

Joe

Since a non member can't read the listing, he'll have to go to the cache with a premium member to find it, then log it. That's not a bad thing since the PM has a chance to show the non-PM what he's missing. (Pocket Queries, Caches Along a Route, Ignore Lists, Bookmarks, etc.)

Yes, it's theoretically possible to narrow down a cache location without maps or coordinates, but if someone is that talented or lucky, there is no need to punish them for such dedication.

Just to give a POV from a MOC hider, when I hide a cache and list it as premium member only it is so I can watch the audit log. And yes, I know that the audit log is incomplete. It is still fun to see that Billy Bob Nosepicker has looked at it 37 times in 2 days. I have no problem with non-preemies logging the cache. After a couple of weeks I will probably open it to all anyhow.

This is just my take on it, others feel different.

Since almost all of my caches (and this is not necesarily true for some of Sue's caches under our team account) are Premium caches, allow me to state again what I have written in the past. I have many reasons for making my caches PMOC, including limiting the number of persons who can access the cache listing page and/or find the cache, but I never have a problem with non-PM cachers logging a find on my PMOC caches. And no, I do not mind the loopholes which allow logging by non-PMs of PMOCs; that is not an issue for me.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Joe

I think I read that the original reason for having Members Only caches is so that the cache pirates wouldn't be able to see the coords since at the time they were not paying members. These were folks who enjoyed finding caches and destroying them instead of logging them online. Anyone that wanted to hide their caches from these people would have the option of a MO cache.

It makes sense that TPTB wouldn't close the logging loophole because if someone wants to log a Find they've already been to the cache and obviously they aren't a pirate.

I think, however, that some pirates eventually paid to get accounts and got ahold of some MO caches too, but as soon as they were identified they were handled.