Missed a FTF for obeying posted hours of operation

I have only had one shared FTF in 148 caches. And, that was due to the generosity of another group of geocachers I ran into while searching who invited me along and let me log first.

I have NEVER had a solo FTF. And, I've tried several times lately.

Today, on my way to work, I headed for a cache at a park that, according to the log, was open at 8am.

Once I got there at 8am, there were numerous signs in red, listing the hours as 10 am to dusk.

I decided to honor the hours posted and went to work. When I returned during lunch, I was second to find. It appears the FTF was honestly accomplished after 10am.

Had I ignored the sign, I would have been FTF. But I think I would have felt guilty. Now, I'm not sure how I feel. But I think that if I had it to do over, I would still do the same.

Was I foolish? What would you have done?

Today, on my way to work, I headed for a cache at a park that, according to the log, was open at 8am.

Once I got there at 8am, there were numerous signs in red, listing the hours as 10 am to dusk.

I decided to honor the hours posted and went to work.

Getting the FTF can be fun (especially if you're in an area where there's a sort of ongoing good-natured contest, as I am). However, the park hours trump geocaching needs and wants in all cases. You did right.

But yeah, I do sympathize on losing the FTF ;)

I decided to honor the hours posted and went to work.

Getting the FTF can be fun (especially if you're in an area where there's a sort of ongoing good-natured contest, as I am). However, the park hours trump geocaching needs and wants in all cases. You did right.

But yeah, I do sympathize on losing the FTF :laughing:

I wish more cachers would obey posted hours, instead of giving geocaching a bad name, by blatantly ignoring rules, for "bragging rights."

I'm a FTF hound. (72 FTF out of 727 finds and a few that I would have found first if I hadn't been an idiot.)

I've gone out late at night when I had to get up early for work in hopes of a FTF. I obey posted hours and rules. Always. As much as I LOVE the FTF I don't want it badly enough to violate the posted hours.

Edited by Thrak

What would I have done? Skipped work so I could go in at 10:00 am. Seriously, you did the right thing!

I too am conflicted when presented with this dilema. Here are the rules I follow (not asking for anyone to agree or disagree, just sharing them)-

If it's posted on the cache page I obey the rules.

If it isn't posted on the cache page and I'm really jonesin for the FTF I find a way into the park where the hours aren't posted. Gives me a legit excuse for when the police show up.

I personally know one of the cachers who got the shared FTF and can speak for his integrity. But from his log you can see he was confused by 3 different sets of posted hours.

I feel your pain man, you live in a super tough area with all the FTF hounds.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Coming soon to a discount bookstore/Goodwill near you- Tales from the FTF Trail

Edited by DeRock & The Psychic Cacher

Having found quite a few FTFs myself ( for the body of finds that I have ). I would wish I'd have your restraint at such times. Thankfully, Ive not had times like that. I applaud your decision; thanks for keeping an eye on the bigger picture than the individual prize.

Edited by viking66

I decided to honor the hours posted and went to work. When I returned during lunch, I was second to find. It appears the FTF was honestly accomplished after 10am.

Had I ignored the sign, I would have been FTF. But I think I would have felt guilty. Now, I'm not sure how I feel. But I think that if I had it to do over, I would still do the same.

Was I foolish? What would you have done?

Well, Like many others have stated, I will abandon the FTF rather than go in a park when it is outside the "posted hours". I will also do the same for a regular find as well. Recently I entered into a park's parking lot about 5:30 PM and saw a Ranger's Police officer inspecting two cars already in the lot. I exited my truck and approached him inquiring about the park hours as I had thought it was open until 10:00 PM. He informed me that the park was officially open "sunrise to sunset". I thanked him and got back in my truck leaving to find that cache another day. I haven't been able to make it back for that cache in the park's hours, so I wait until the chance arrives.

Now, I do have about 6 FTF's (4 shared with my wife) out of 146 finds. I did go out at midnight into two parks that did not have posted hours to seek FTF's. I found one and missed the other. As someone else had commented in another thread, going after the FTF can have some detriments, because you usually can't see the scenery or other views that the hider may have brought you there to see, especially if you go seeking them in the dark.