Need Advice: Garmin Vista 24MB vs Magellan 500LE

MtSpaz

Let me start off by saying that I'm new to the handheld GPS thing.

I pulled the trigger a bit early and ordered this:

Amazon Order

(Search on Garmin vista 24 if the URL doesn't work)

Then I found this at Costco (I'm a member)

Costco GPS

It's more than Garmin vs Magellan. These are the key points I'm considering:

14 vs 12 Channels *

Color vs B&W

USB vs Serial * (Dad's laptop needs a USB to Serial converter)

Included Maps vs Not *

SD Slot vs 24MB *

Costco Return policy vs AntOnline

Based on the reviews on Amazon, Garmin has a better bicycle mount, which I ordered with it.

(* features of most concern)

I ordered 2 units. One for me & one for my dad.

Dad will use his primarily for gold mine & claim hunting in the desert of AZ. I'll use mine for cycling, hiking, and general gadgetry, maybe some geocaching in WA

We both have and may use laptops for additional mapping, etc. on our outings

Amazon didn't have them in stock, so my Amazon order went through ANTOnline.

Their return policy includes a 15% restocking fee.

The cost of the Topo Maps (considering 2 copies) more than covers the fee & return shipping, but that's IF we were to get the Garmin maps down the road. I hadn't considered buying the Topo maps until I saw that deal at Costco.

It's not completely about the money either. I'd like to get the best setup for the two of us. If it costs a little extra to do that, then I'm willing.

I've read a bit about Garmin vs Magellan and best I can tell it's a lot about personal preference. Not having used either, I'm open to either. Dad had a Garmin 12XL but lost it. I don't think he's tied to a brand/model either.

Admittedly, I pulled the trigger a bit early, but I have a chance to 'fix' it if the benefits are compelling.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

These two receivers aren't really comparable. Just look at the specs you list. You should also know that the eXplorist receiver is superior to that of the old eTrex Vista. A more comparable Garmin would be an eTrex Venture Cx, which costs around $150 when you consider Garmin's $50 mail-in rebate.

I realize that they may not be comparable units and had I done more looking around I would have done things differently.

Would you suggest eating the cost of returning the Garmin units and going with the Magellan?

Or, if we return the Garmin gear, is there another one that you'd recommend in the same price range? The bundle of the GPSr wtih the maps at Costco seems compelling.

I'll look around for Venture Cx deals & that rebate.

Thanks

I realize that they may not be comparable units and had I done more looking around I would have done things differently.

Would you suggest eating the cost of returning the Garmin units and going with the Magellan?

Or, if we return the Garmin gear, is there another one that you'd recommend in the same price range? The bundle of the GPSr wtih the maps at Costco seems compelling.

I'll look around for Venture Cx deals & that rebate.

Thanks

I personally prefer Garmin over Magellan in general, but there is no way that I would pick a Garmin Vista over a Magellan Explorist 500. If the choice were between these 2, and if it were me, I'd try to sell the Garmin's for as little loss as possible (or suffer the restocking fee loss) and get the Magellan.

Edited by GreatCanadian

USB vs Serial * (Dad's laptop needs a USB to Serial converter)

Don't try using a USB to Serial Connector. Garmin's website (and personal experience) have demonstrated it won't work and may in fact harm the GPS.

FYI, I have also seen situations where if a serial connection is present when the system boots, it interprets it as an external serial mouse! This is no fun whatsoever, and requires deleting the 'new' mouse and rebooting.

Best of luck otherwise...

SparksFly