Feoretrex 101

darylt

I have just recieved a Garmin Foretrex 101, I have connected it to my PC using the Garmin lead and a Serial to USB Adapter.

I have run the .exe file that came with the cable, I have tried to reinstall the driver from device manager, I have tried COM1 - COM5

I have trieds tried firmwear updates, but the Garmin software can not find the GPS

I have tried GPS Utility, but the port times out.

Can anyone help please?

I have just recieved a Garmin Foretrex 101, I have connected it to my PC using the Garmin lead and a Serial to USB Adapter.

I have run the .exe file that came with the cable, I have tried to reinstall the driver from device manager, I have tried COM1 - COM5

I have trieds tried firmwear updates, but the Garmin software can not find the GPS

I have tried GPS Utility, but the port times out.

Can anyone help please?

Update

I have managed to connect to my desktop PC using the serial lead only, I dont have a serial port on my laptop hence the nead for the Serial to USB lead.

The device manager says that it is working correctly on the laptop

Any ideas?

I had seen another post that said if you go to the device manager and look under either Ports (COM & LPT) or under Universal Serial Bus controllers, one of those areas will show you the com port assigned to your adapter. And then you also may need to match the baud rate settings between the foretrex and usb serial port.

Since you know it works serial on the desktop, try with the USB adapter on the desktop.

I had seen another post that said if you go to the device manager and look under either Ports (COM & LPT) or under Universal Serial Bus controllers, one of those areas will show you the com port assigned to your adapter. And then you also may need to match the baud rate settings between the foretrex and usb serial port.

Since you know it works serial on the desktop, try with the USB adapter on the desktop.

Tried matching the baud rate on both PCs, still No luck!! :huh:

Which com port is the USB adapter assigned in the device manager?

If it is something unusual, it may be that the provided software doesn't support that port.

You could try some other software, if you don't already have it, something like GSAK would be worth a try to communicate to the foretrex. (It does have support for odd COMports, but you need to manually key it, not autodetect those) It is free to try for 30days before you get long nag delays.

I haven't personally used a USB-serial adapter, I've just seen mention of the issues before.

Like the OP, I don't have a serial port on the laptop. The USB to Serial adaptor defaults to COM 5, although I think that's configurable.

I don't use the Garmin software, but GSAK works fine with my Foretrex 101 through this device, so whatever it is, it ISN'T that the Foretrex doesn't work with a USB adaptor.

Sorry I can't offer anything positive (other than, as someone has already said, check you've got the right COM port selected in the Garmin software), but I hope I've eliminated a potential negative.

All the best

Paul

USB adaptors are not always assigned a specific com port, you need to see what comport it was assigned within Device Manager. Plugging into a different USB port often will get it assigned a different Com Port number as well. I've heard some people having their adapter getting assigned Com port 11! So, you need to determine if your adaptor was really assigned to Com 1 or not first.

USB adaptors are not always assigned a specific com port, you need to see what comport it was assigned within Device Manager. Plugging into a different USB port often will get it assigned a different Com Port number as well. I've heard some people having their adapter getting assigned Com port 11! So, you need to determine if your adaptor was really assigned to Com 1 or not first.

Hmm, I have assigned it port 1....

On my desktop it got signed 17!

On here I think it was originally 3 but as I have changed it I can't be sure

I don't believe you can Assign the USB adaptor a com port, the computer and operating system do that. I wouldn't change it from what it gets assigned, it may interefere with something else.

try this... unplug it from the computer (both of them) and go to device manager, if it is still shown... delete it. restart the computer, plug it back in, see what com port it is assigned, don't change it, try to use it where it is.

As someone else said, GSAK should use it regardless of which port (though you may have to tell GSAK which port to use)

While windows does let you reassign stuff, sometimes it doesn't play well with items after you have done it. of course sometimes it doesn't play well with them anyway... but that is beyond this.

I don't believe you can Assign the USB adaptor a com port, the computer and operating system do that. I wouldn't change it from what it gets assigned, it may interefere with something else.

try this... unplug it from the computer (both of them) and go to device manager, if it is still shown... delete it. restart the computer, plug it back in, see what com port it is assigned, don't change it, try to use it where it is.

As someone else said, GSAK should use it regardless of which port (though you may have to tell GSAK which port to use)

While windows does let you reassign stuff, sometimes it doesn't play well with items after you have done it. of course sometimes it doesn't play well with them anyway... but that is beyond this.

I decided to start again, I re instsalled the lead to a new USB port, it is assigned COM 3, I downloaded GSAK, set up the GPS to the correct COM port etc.

Now I get an error message - Can't init COM3 :)