Entry level PDA for paperless caching

TheBattons

I currently have a Palm Pilot III with cradle and stylus in excellent condition for sale. While it only comes with 2 megs of memory for storage, it easily holds 1000+ caches (depending on the amount of info you require). I added 500 caches to this one with ALL items in CacheMate, plus 10 logs for each cache, and still had 700k left (for non-techies, its quite a bit relatively speaking), leaving room for at least another 500.

Seriously, who can find 500 caches in a weekend?

So if you are looking to get into paperless caching on a budget, this is the one for you. The cradle has a serial connection, and as been tested and works flawlessly. The stylus is sharp and pointy, perfect for selecting caches on the screen.* I have CacheMate loaded on it already, but you'll need to register it to yourself. It also comes with a pair of fresh AAA batteries.

Price is $22 shipped to your door anywhere in the US. I take PayPal and money orders.

If you are interested, drop me a line at dbatton at gmail dot com or PM me here

Thanks much,

Darrell

*Stylus not to be used for picking your ears or jabbing your friends

I don't know squat about PDA's... :)

What all can this do?

I'm not sure about the serial connector either. I don't think my laptop has one.

What can it do? Well on top of keeping track of phonoe numbers, appointments, addresses and allowing you to play asteroids, It also lets you use a program called CacheMate.

From the CacheMate website:

CacheMate is a database for tracking GPS cache hunts. You can store information about caches or benchmarks, decode hints, and transfer data between CacheMate and the MemoPad application. Registered users can import LOC and GPX formatted XML files, which are available from Geocaching.com.

In short, it allows you to go caching without carrying around a stack of printed cache notes/pages.

And if you can use a GPSr, you can use a PDA, the learning curve on a PDA is much easier.

As for your laptop, if it is less than a few years old, it probably doesn't have serial port. That means you wouldn't be able to load anything onto it (at least not easily). There are alternatives, but you'd be better off getting a USB-connected PDA instead.

Hope that helps...

Happy Turkey Day!

I don't know squat about PDA's... :P

What all can this do?

I'm not sure about the serial connector either. I don't think my laptop has one.

What can it do? Well on top of keeping track of phonoe numbers, appointments, addresses and allowing you to play asteroids, It also lets you use a program called CacheMate.

From the CacheMate website:

CacheMate is a database for tracking GPS cache hunts. You can store information about caches or benchmarks, decode hints, and transfer data between CacheMate and the MemoPad application. Registered users can import LOC and GPX formatted XML files, which are available from Geocaching.com.

In short, it allows you to go caching without carrying around a stack of printed cache notes/pages.

And if you can use a GPSr, you can use a PDA, the learning curve on a PDA is much easier.

As for your laptop, if it is less than a few years old, it probably doesn't have serial port. That means you wouldn't be able to load anything onto it (at least not easily). There are alternatives, but you'd be better off getting a USB-connected PDA instead.

Hope that helps...

Happy Turkey Day!

Yep, that helps bunch! I just bought my laptop last spring so I don't think it has a serial port.

Looks like I'm gonna have to do some research and get some more gadgets!

What palm is recommended as a middle level

for paperless caching

not the cheapest but with some extr added features that are useful

I just got a Palm IIIxe from ebay. It comes with 8mb of memory and is probably the middle level. The one for sale here will do the job, I guess the extra memory lets you save more caches than you could do in a year. I paid a little under $30.00. I looked a lot on ebay and all the Palm III and IIIxe models seem to be selling for around $35 or less. Some have more accessories and some have more or less shipping costs. From what I have read here the IIIxe with 8mb is not too expensive and very adequate to do the job. Good Luck Ken

Edited by traildad