Garmin Nuvi 660 or StreetPilot 550 for Chirstmas?

I'm trying to decide which GPS to get myself for Christmas.

I have a Garmin Vista C and City Select NA and Europe. But I find that having to load the maps is a pain in the butt.

I travel extensively to Europe. I'm an active cacher and need to be able to use the GPS to route me to my caches. Once close to the cache I want to use my Vista C to take me the last distance "off road."

I would also like a GPS for travel / highway navigation as well.

I've been considering the StreetPilot 550 as well as the Nuvi 660 (leaning towards the 660).

Features that are meaningful to me:

ability to upload caches / waypoints from MapSource or GSAK

ability to enter waypoints on the fly (stages to multis)

ability to listed to radio / CD player while driving - and have the driving instructions announced over the radio concurrently

ability to use the car's battery power (I'm assuming they both use cigarette lighter for power).

I'm getting older )-: so I need the larger screen and the turn by turn volume to be adjustable.

I have a Cingular 8125 phone / PocketPC. Can I connect it to the GPS to upload waypoints? Or is the Bluetooth / USB connection only useable for phone calls?

I know that there have to be a boatload of cachers out there that have put these two through the paces.

Can anyone help me make an enlightened decision?

Are there any questions that I'm missing?

Thanks and Cache On!

WearyTraveler

ability to listed to radio / CD player while driving - and have the driving instructions announced over the radio concurrently

This is one clear difference between the two. The nuvi 660 has a built-in FM transmitter, unlike the c550.

Rich Owings

www.GPStracklog.com

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

“We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books.” – Edward Abbey

None of the two units are good for caching. No compass, no arrow makes it hard to find.

Nüvi 660 does not have any track log if that is important for you.

You can not mix sending FM to your radio and at the same time listen to music at the same time from the air since the radio are tuned into to Nüvi

You can use the Nüvi to play mp3 and get direction (the music makes a pause)

The quality of the FM sender is not the best on the 660. A simple casette adapter does work better.

None of the two units are good for caching. No compass, no arrow makes it hard to find.

Nüvi 660 does not have any track log if that is important for you.

You can not mix sending FM to your radio and at the same time listen to music at the same time from the air since the radio are tuned into to Nüvi

You can use the Nüvi to play mp3 and get direction (the music makes a pause)

The quality of the FM sender is not the best on the 660. A simple casette adapter does work better.

Thank you!

Well - I bought the 660. I like it so far. <_< Here are the things I don't like - just in case they're important to others...

The FM broadcast could be better but it'll do for driving. I wish I could listen to the radio and have the 660 break in when it has something to say. But that's just me complaining.

I really like how the audio (music or book) will pause when the 660 is giving directions, then resume where it left off. Great for listening to audio books. :tired:

I'm having problems with it connecting to my Cingular 8125. Sometimes it will. :D Sometimes it won't. :laughing: When it does connect, getting the call history takes forever. :D Perhaps I should clear the call history on my cell to get it to show up on the 660 quicker.

I followed it's directions to a WalMart in Woodstock VA the other day. The 660 (or the map) was off by about .25 mile. Good thing we say the sign as we passed the store (once again - pay attention to the world around you - NOT the GPS).

I activated the security lock and my security spot is in my driveway. About half the time, I have to enter the security code while I'm in the (20 foot) driveway. I guess it's better to err on the side of security.

I can't figure out how to upload caches. When I connect it to my laptop and run MapSource, it doesn't recognize the 660. Is there something additional that I need to do?

Today, it locked up on me. The power button did nothing. I had to remove it from the mount (to cause power out) then put it back into the mount.

Getting it to lock into the mount can be tricky. If you don't line it up just right, it isn't going in. Doing this one handed while driving (I know - I know :D ) is a pain.

More later...

Cache On!