Webcam Caches Removed from GC.COM

Xopster

It has recently come to my attention that geocaching.com is no longer accepting new webcam caches, any new caches are being refered to Waymarking.com.

I must say that some of the most fun I have had in geocaching has been participating in WebCam caches. Whether it was at a Caching Evenet where all the participants posed for a webcam pic or when I was in Vegas phoneing my friend back home on the cell and getting him to snap my pic in front of the MGM Hotel.

I thought that the requirements that the picture quality be quite good in order to stop the proliferation of crap cameras where all you see is the outline of a hand waving in the distance was adequate.

Further I know that one of the most popular Caches where I live, near Vancouver, is a WebCam Cache in a touristy area of Vancouver and has been logged by hundreds of people as has the one in Vegas I referred to.

I looked up some of the Webcams on Waymarking.com and found them to be interesting for a viewing on the Internet but few have been ever logged and even fewer were of 'Good Quality' and I would never consider searching out these webcams.

Please reconsider and allow new Good Quality WebCam Caches as they come available, I am sure I am not the only one that feels this way.

Wow, for a minute there, I thought it was November 2005. After a quick calendar check, all's well now.

In my experience, webcam caches tend to be unreliable and more prone to maintenance issues and abandonment by the owner. I rarely log them, as they don't feel like geocaches. I "found" one over the Thanksgiving holiday, mainly to give my homebound mother a chance to feel like she was part of the caching and Waymarking fun being had by the rest of the family. I found that the webcam had switched websites, switched coordinates, and had an absent owner who wasn't responding to maintenance concerns. But I took the smiley!

Edited by The Leprechauns
I must say that some of the most fun I have had in geocaching has been participating in WebCam caches.

As Mopar once said, "Just because it's fun doesn't make it geocaching."

Yes, web-camming can be fun. I've done it a few times myself, but geocaching is about finding a container. Since webcams typically don't have a container, they were disallowed on the geocaching site and moved to a more appropriate location.

Jamie

I must say that some of the most fun I have had in geocaching has been participating in WebCam caches.

Yes, web-camming can be fun. I've done it a few times myself, but geocaching is about finding a container. Since webcams typically don't have a container, they were disallowed on the geocaching site and moved to a more appropriate location.

Jamie

Well... they DO tend to have a container... but that's usually the protective case that it's in to keep it from being stolen :mad:

Jamie

Well... they DO tend to have a container... but that's usually the protective case that it's in to keep it from being stolen :mad:

I might as well add my theory, since there really isn't a consistent separation of Waymarking and Geocaching based on "containers"...

hard-disk-ch150.jpg

Here's a Geocaching.com container... and each log entry can contain the following*:

Traditional/Multi/Mystery caches: can be very few bytes ("TFTC<enter>")

Virtual caches: log entry + storage and bandwidth for e-mail verification

Codeword caches: same as above, also grandfathered.

Locationless caches: log entry + mandatory image, 30,000 bytes for 300x225 .jpg

Webcam caches: log entry + mandatory image (size varies, but way larger than a simple log entry)

Earthcaches: black sheep of the group. log entry + e-mail AND/OR image. WAS in Waymarking.

So there you have it. Looks like Waymarking uses a larger log book and needs a larger container, while Geocaching is just a lamp post micro in comparison. Not sure if one or the other requires more maintenance visits... :(

* size of cache listing and meta data not included - sold separately.

Edited by budd-rdc