Oldest Cache in New Jersey Coin Project

avroair

The Northern New Jersey Cachers group ponied up to mint 100 coins to place in the oldest cache in New Jersey: gerbiL cacHe The aim is to physcially put 100 vouchers in the geocache and when a cacher finds it they can take and redeem the voucher for a coin (which would be mailed to them). The cache is located about 3 miles away from the parking lot in a hilly reservation so it doesn't get huge numbers of hits.

Has anyone done something like this? (If so, what pitfalls did they encounter?)

There are no special editions etc, and the only way to get the coin is to goto the cache to retrieve a voucher

FYI here is the front and the back of the coin:

919b51a7-7aca-4e78-b5d8-95d8daa7d693.jpg

0e13da6b-4e86-475a-b51b-2a1cc5929984.jpg

The Northern New Jersey Cachers group ponied up to mint 100 coins to place in the oldest cache in New Jersey: gerbiL cacHe The aim is to physcially put 100 vouchers in the geocache and when a cacher finds it they can take and redeem the voucher for a coin (which would be mailed to them). The cache is located about 3 miles away from the parking lot in a hilly reservation so it doesn't get huge numbers of hits.

Has anyone done something like this? (If so, what pitfalls did they encounter?)

There are no special editions etc, and the only way to get the coin is to goto the cache to retrieve a voucher

FYI here is the front and the back of the coin:

919b51a7-7aca-4e78-b5d8-95d8daa7d693.jpg

0e13da6b-4e86-475a-b51b-2a1cc5929984.jpg

thats a great idea

What a great idea! It reminds me a bit of the End Station/VTA Mystery Cache done my nielsenc. Maybe he might give you some insight. I made a special trip from Oregon to the Bay Area just to do the series! (Okay, I was visiting family 75 miles north, but still.......)

I assume there's a puzzle involved with the coin as well (given the characters, etc. on it)?

Actually, it was paying homage to the cache placer, Cache Ninja. All of his cache pages are written with strange characters and capitals mixed with lower case. If you click on the cache page you will see what I mean... add a new wrinkle since you have to decrypt the whole cache page! (which can be either fun or fustrating).

GerBiL CacHe

We must all be thinking on the same wave length in New Jersey these days.

Just released for general sales the Tour de Cache Gecoin. The "antique gold" version of this coin will be awarded to cachers who successfully complete the Tour de Cache - NJ County Challenge. Sales of the "antique silver" coins are supporting this award program as our pockets are not as deep as the folks organizing the Oldest Cache in New Jersey award. B)

Here is what the "antique gold" version of the coin looks like:

4ca42ef6-7980-4b8d-a7e6-8a40785bb366.jpg

Take a peak at our coin in the goecoin section of this forum if you are interested.

Thanks for the pilot project, Mark. I guess New Jersey *is* good for something! laughing.gif

Hey, go take a hike! B)

The NNJC officers group hiked to the cache today and left the coin coupons in the cache.

Me with my coupon! People will have to have their photo taken with the coupon to get the coin.

68a806b5-1aae-4e69-8b32-c38799617e19.jpg

I got my Gerbil Geocoin in the mail on Saturday. Very cool indeed! I take this coin is not a trackable item since it only has the serial numbers of 1 through 100 only on the coin? Thanks for the Coin it will make a nice collectible item from a fun day out caching on a balmy 70 degree day in Jan. Thanks to all that put this coin project together. :)

Thanks for the pilot project, Mark. I guess New Jersey *is* good for something! laughing.gif

Hey, go take a hike! :unsure:

The NNJC officers group hiked to the cache today and left the coin coupons in the cache.

Me with my coupon! People will have to have their photo taken with the coupon to get the coin.

68a806b5-1aae-4e69-8b32-c38799617e19.jpg

GEEZ, man --- warn a fella when you're going to post a pic like that! My daughter is crying now!

This was a great project by NNJC. We completed the cache at the end of December and soon had our coin in hand. Now, our grandson wants us to take him to north Jersey so he can do this cache. We have a drive of just over two and a half hours each way. Actually, this area has many good caches. We are likely to go back whether our grandson goes or not. Thanks, NNJC.

We did the cache on Jan 11 and sent in the coupon but have not recieved the coin. Those of you that have a coin how long did it take?

TX

Your coupon was received.

Your coin was mailed.

You should have received it by now, or will soon

Thanks for the update Dave. :rolleyes: Any idea how many people have visited the first cache in New Jersey and received a coin?

Well, as I can be a pessimist here is one negative:

Cachers can take multiple vouchers

Otherwise, cool idea.

Yes they can, but we are only mailing one per household (which is stated on the coupon). The people also need to photograph themselves with the coupon in front of the cache, and many state which coupon they found. So far we haven't had a problem. :laughing:

Well, as I can be a pessimist here is one negative:

Cachers can take multiple vouchers

Otherwise, cool idea.

Yes they can, but we are only mailing one per household (which is stated on the coupon). The people also need to photograph themselves with the coupon in front of the cache, and many state which coupon they found. So far we haven't had a problem. :laughing:

Oh, well with that security, and the usual honesty of geocachers, that should be pretty good :laughing: .

I'm an optimist today. ;)

I managed to find this cache yesterday with my girlfriend while visiting Avroair. Let me tell you, 12 inches of fresh snow on the ground certainly makes this 4 mile round trip stroll a bit more difficult. We completed it in just under 2.5 hours, and were BEAT :D But, the scenery up on the ridge was quite nice. I'm glad we set aside time to snag this one, definitely a must do.

P.S. If I weren't so dern tired, I'd have already loaded the pics and post one here.

Thanks NNJC! :)

I managed to find this cache yesterday with my girlfriend while visiting Avroair. Let me tell you, 12 inches of fresh snow on the ground certainly makes this 4 mile round trip stroll a bit more difficult. We completed it in just under 2.5 hours, and were BEAT :D But, the scenery up on the ridge was quite nice. I'm glad we set aside time to snag this one, definitely a must do.

P.S. If I weren't so dern tired, I'd have already loaded the pics and post one here.

Thanks NNJC! :)

Congrats! What a Herculean feat! :D Post pics of your miserable self!

Here's the cache log

3d53304f-fcac-47df-a994-815f81495ef0.jpg

Edited by avroair

Thanks NNJC! :D

Congrats! What a Herculean feat! :D Post pics of your miserable self!

Here's the cache log

Thanks for the help :) Like I wanted anyone to see my ugly mug posted all over in here :)