Today's Cacher

El Diablo

Today’s Cacher will cease operations after this months issue. The magazine was a good concept and over the years has had some great articles, and an equally great staff! We have reached a point were it’s difficult to find staff as well as cachers to submit articles.

Rather than struggle each month to put the magazine together I feel it’s best to lay it to rest. Maybe one day we can bring it back. I want to thank everyone for their support. Especially Groundspeak (Geocaching.com). The readers have always been our motivation, our reason to exist. We hope that you have enjoyed the experience as much as we have.

I want to say a special thanks to all the staff of the magazine, both past and present. You people did an outstanding job for little reward. You are the best. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Jerry Carter AKA El Diablo

President/ Publisher

Today’s Cacher

Oh no! I have really enjoyed TC. I even have both of the printed editions and have read them as well as shared them at events, and everyone always thought it was a great idea. It's hard to believe there are dozens of carp magazines out there about everything from knitting to poodles but we couldn't rally around a caching mag. I hope that TC can come back in the future or that someone else will be able to breathe new life into the project.

Cheers to ElD and Staff!!!

Z

Today’s Cacher will cease operations after this months issue. The magazine was a good concept and over the years has had some great articles, and an equally great staff! We have reached a point were it’s difficult to find staff as well as cachers to submit articles.

Rather than struggle each month to put the magazine together I feel it’s best to lay it to rest. Maybe one day we can bring it back. I want to thank everyone for their support. Especially Groundspeak (Geocaching.com). The readers have always been our motivation, our reason to exist. We hope that you have enjoyed the experience as much as we have.

I want to say a special thanks to all the staff of the magazine, both past and present. You people did an outstanding job for little reward. You are the best. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Jerry Carter AKA El Diablo

President/ Publisher

Today’s Cacher

Jerry, thanks for your heroic effort, and thanks for the update! My own sense from the start was that for such a magazine to survive well, the sport of geocaching would need to be quite a bit larger than it is now, with not only a far larger pool of active andenthusiastic participants willing and able to buy the magazine, but also a far larger pool of knowledgeable persons willing and able to serve as staffers. Of course, the other route that some such specialty-sport magazines take is to be published as part and parcel of the membership benefit for a society. There are a number of magazines like this. For example, I belong to a national caver's organization, National Speleological Society, and pay a yearly membership fee, and, as one of my member benefits, I receive their spelunking journal each month.

My suspicion is that for such an open-market publication as your effort was to survive and thrive today, given the current rather small size and popularity of the sport, it would require massive and fanatical dedication by a full-time core team plus good funding from a source willing to consistently lose money for years.

Is it archived anywhere online, so back issues can be read? I only ever got to read on e month, and it was good stuff!

Good question. Jerry are the old online editions going to remain available? There is a lot of great information in the back issues and I see them linked to all the time here. It would be terrible if we lost all that.

Edited by briansnat

Is it archived anywhere online, so back issues can be read? I only ever got to read on e month, and it was good stuff!

Good question. Jerry are the old online editions going to remain available? There is a lot of great information in the back issues and I see them linked to all the time here. It would be terrible if we lost all that.

I'll have to get with Alex and see what it will take to keep the archives available. With the current cost of the web site I'll need to find an alternative. We will at least back everything up in some format for future use.

El Diablo

I'll have to get with Alex and see what it will take to keep the archives available. With the current cost of the web site I'll need to find an alternative. We will at least back everything up in some format for future use.

El Diablo

So back issues are available now? How do you access them?

El Diablo

So back issues are available now? How do you access them?

You can go to Today's Cacher and you will see a link on the home page for the archives.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo

Just offer the archives on CD, el Diablo. If they aren't worth a couple of bucks to people, there's your answer.

I think that's a good idea. :(

I don't know about the rest of the paid subscribers, but I'd expect a free copy and maybe another for actually contributing to the zine, but after that I might buy a few to place in caches. :wub:

Just offer the archives on CD, el Diablo. If they aren't worth a couple of bucks to people, there's your answer.

Cool Idea. Anyone want to finance it? To do that will cost money. I tried to finance the printed issues....I wish I hadn't. I will be paying for those magazines long after you have forgotton that it even existed. <_<

El Diablo

Cool Idea. Anyone want to finance it? To do that will cost money. I tried to finance the printed issues....I wish I hadn't. I will be paying for those magazines long after you have forgotton that it even existed. :)

El Diablo

Could you convert all the articles to a PDF format, keep the files on your computer and burn CD's as they get ordered?

Geez, am I ever sorry to hear this!!! I just today sent you an e-mail asking how I could help out with the magazine, Jerry!!! AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

:D

What about the idea stated above, where you make the magazine a quarterly issue? I belong to an organization that had a bi-montly newsletter, but it was never on time and always struggled for material. Once we went quarterly, everything ran a lot smoother!

I hate to see it go and would love to help brainstorm for an alternative solution.