How do you view your GPS Storage Capacity (Garmin)

I have been trying to answer this question all day using the web, search features on this forum and the owner's manual for the eTrex Vista CX GPS.

The other day I installed MapSource US Topo. Subsequently I loaded maps onto my GPS. Saturday, I tried to enter a waypoint--but my GPS said that I had no room left. This leads to three questions:

1. How can I view how much room I have on my GPS/Card?

2. How do you delete maps from your GPS? I installed maps to my unit, and then I deleted them on my MapSource program, but they remain on my GPS? Do I have to delete them manaully with my GPS? I hit Restore "Factory" Default Settings on the maps window and nothing happened.

3. Is there a way to restore my GPS to factory level settings for everything? Meaning, can I format the entire thing? I have tons of information I don't need, but I have what I do on Map Source.

Thanks

You need to delete an existing waypoint to add another one. The error means you have 500 waypoints in the GPS.

To delete maps you upload a blank mapset to your GPS.

There is a way to reset these things, I'm not sure if it's in the owners manual. I don't have a vista to help with that.

I will continue to see if I can find a way to reset the device to factory settings...but that is not as big of an issue as the first two issues. When you say I need to delete a waypoint to create another--you are probably right. I had a ton loaded. Can you delete just one way point though without using your computer? I hit delete, and it asks if I want to delete all waypoints or all geocaches. I end up deleting all of one or the other.

You need to delete an existing waypoint to add another one. The error means you have 500 waypoints in the GPS.

To delete maps you upload a blank mapset to your GPS.

There is a way to reset these things, I'm not sure if it's in the owners manual. I don't have a vista to help with that.

I will continue to see if I can find a way to reset the device to factory settings...but that is not as big of an issue as the first two issues. When you say I need to delete a waypoint to create another--you are probably right. I had a ton loaded. Can you delete just one way point though without using your computer? I hit delete, and it asks if I want to delete all waypoints or all geocaches. I end up deleting all of one or the other.

Download everything into Mapsource.

In Mapsource where you can see multiple waypoints at a time, delete everything you DO NOT want on your unit.

After you have them backed up with Mapsource, heres how to delete multiple waypoints at a time.......

On your unit, go to your waypoint list, be sure you have them listed "by name" not "by nearest"> hit menu> you should have the option to delete "all symbols", or select just any single symbol.

If you delete "all" then everything is gone/cleared, and you can re-send your edited list of waypoints (first paragraph above) back to your unit with Mapsource.

If you just want to delete a single waypoint at a time on your unit, select one from your waypoint list > enter> with the waypoint coordinates displayed,one of the options at the bottom should be "delete"....

>Enter, it should ask you to confirm delete...Yes

Cardinal Point

I encountered the similar cituation when I first got my 60CSx and the following is what I had posted a few months ago pertaining to your question.

"I knew I had seen the amount of memory left on my 60CSx when I first got it and then forget what I did to find it. I called Garmin Tech Support and they told me I had to use the computer to see; I knew that wasn't correct since I knew I had already seen it on my unit. I'm not positive that the Vista Cx is exactly the same format but the basic principal will be the same. For the 60CSx here is the procedure that will tell you the percentage of the memory that the micro sd card has stored on it.

Enter "Menu, Menu" for (Main Menu Screen)

Go to "Tracks" enter (“Tracks” screen appears)

Scroll down to "Setup" and enter (“Track Log Setup” screen appears)

Scroll down to “Data Card Setup” and enter (“Track Log Data Card” screen appears) with a bar graph that tells you how much memory is being used on your micro card.

Ex. I have a 1GB card in mine and it shows 26% telling me that I have 260 Mb of info. stored on my card (I have 347 maps loaded on it at present). Keep in mind that if you save tracks to your memory card that this will also use available memory on your card. So don't fill the micro sd card up with maps if you want to save a lot of tracks to memory for uploading to the computer later. As a comparison, you can check what your computer says the total map sizes are before you download to the GPSr and then see what your GPSr tells you. Mine usually are very close (I’m sure rounding is being taken into affect causing a 1% or 2% variation).

I’m sure I’ve over simplified this for you but just didn’t want to confuse those who may be getting use to the x models for the first time. Hope this helps"

Cardinal Point

I encountered the similar cituation when I first got my 60CSx and the following is what I had posted a few months ago pertaining to your question.

"I knew I had seen the amount of memory left on my 60CSx when I first got it and then forget what I did to find it. I called Garmin Tech Support and they told me I had to use the computer to see; I knew that wasn't correct since I knew I had already seen it on my unit. I'm not positive that the Vista Cx is exactly the same format but the basic principal will be the same. For the 60CSx here is the procedure that will tell you the percentage of the memory that the micro sd card has stored on it.

Enter "Menu, Menu" for (Main Menu Screen)

Go to "Tracks" enter (“Tracks” screen appears)

Scroll down to "Setup" and enter (“Track Log Setup” screen appears)

Scroll down to “Data Card Setup” and enter (“Track Log Data Card” screen appears) with a bar graph that tells you how much memory is being used on your micro card.

Ex. I have a 1GB card in mine and it shows 26% telling me that I have 260 Mb of info. stored on my card (I have 347 maps loaded on it at present). Keep in mind that if you save tracks to your memory card that this will also use available memory on your card. So don't fill the micro sd card up with maps if you want to save a lot of tracks to memory for uploading to the computer later. As a comparison, you can check what your computer says the total map sizes are before you download to the GPSr and then see what your GPSr tells you. Mine usually are very close (I’m sure rounding is being taken into affect causing a 1% or 2% variation).

I’m sure I’ve over simplified this for you but just didn’t want to confuse those who may be getting use to the x models for the first time. Hope this helps"

EAPARKS...that was exactly what I was looking for. I went to the tracks menu and found the percentage (currently at 77%). As excited as I am to finally have an answer--I'm now depressed thinking that you have a 1GB card and I only have a 64mb card. :)

Thanks for the help !

As excited as I am to finally have an answer--I'm now depressed thinking that you have a 1GB card and I only have a 64mb card. :)

Thanks for the help !

Cardinal Point, there are some good bargains on the 1GB Micro SD memory cards, if you shop around. Recently someone posted information on here where they could be bought, if I remember correctly I believe it was around $15 - $20. If you do buy a larger memory card just be sure to stay with a good name brand Sandisk are good, but DO NOT get the Ultra II speed (which is a faster card) in any brand. Garmin has reported the GPSr not working properly using these faster cards. Some individuals have reported using the 2GB cards without any problems, also. If you do a search on here for the memory cards, you will find a lot of good information.