Geocoin Copies

bluesprucejr

In light of another topic about Geocoin theft, what are your thoughts on geocoin copies? I have seen them around our area by a cacher who has a sizable collection - all obtained properly. He scans a copy of both sides of the coin and prints it out on a business card, then laminates the card. He includes the tracking number so people can still log the coin and get the icon. The coin stays in his collection, but still allows it to "circulate" around.

I'd rather see the coin, but as long as the fact that it's a facsimile is stated in the coin description I don't really mind it. Coins are terribly fancy TBs, but they're still just hitchhikers meant to travel so we'll pick'm up and move them on down the line. :)

I agree :P as long as it is clearly stated that it is a replica I'm ok with it.

I really prefer to handle the real thing though. Everything I've released is the real thing, I haven't decided what to do about the "lost" ones yet.

I'd rather see the coin, but as long as the fact that it's a facsimile is stated in the coin description I don't really mind it. Coins are terribly fancy TBs, but they're still just hitchhikers meant to travel so we'll pick'm up and move them on down the line. :ph34r:

I agree :ph34r: as long as it is clearly stated that it is a replica I'm ok with it.

I really prefer to handle the real thing though. Everything I've released is the real thing, I haven't decided what to do about the "lost" ones yet.

One more in agreement.

In light of another topic about Geocoin theft, what are your thoughts on geocoin copies? I have seen them around our area by a cacher who has a sizable collection - all obtained properly. He scans a copy of both sides of the coin and prints it out on a business card, then laminates the card. He includes the tracking number so people can still log the coin and get the icon. The coin stays in his collection, but still allows it to "circulate" around.

Well, that is one answer against the disappearance of coins in the wild and maintaining a collection. I came across a cache that stated it has several coins in it for the harvesting of icons. The coins were not removable from the cache. Ok, fine and dandy! But when I got to the cache and found facsimilies I did feel cheated. I still harvested the tracking #s and claimed the discovery per the owner's intentions but felt kinda sleazy about it.

Is that any worse than discovering a collector's entire collection at an event rather than finding each individual coin in the field?

I'd rather see the coin, but as long as the fact that it's a facsimile is stated in the coin description I don't really mind it. Coins are terribly fancy TBs, but they're still just hitchhikers meant to travel so we'll pick'm up and move them on down the line. :ph34r:

I agree :ph34r: as long as it is clearly stated that it is a replica I'm ok with it.

One more in agreement.

Me too. I also like to see the word "COPY" in the title. To each their own, but if I'm going for a cache I like to know what type it is. So why not clearly distinguish between a real coin and a copy?

Personally I'm not a fan of copies, but I do understand the reason why some people would consider releasing them.

The thing is that everyone plays the game differently, as long as a photo copy of a coin is labled as such on it's home page then everyone knows what it is, thus saving disappointment by those expecting the real thing, but still allowing those that are just after the icon to claim it. Those who approve of copies will log it and those who don't will leave it.

Happy New Year everyone! :D

Mark (Elmo)

Well, that is one answer against the disappearance of coins in the wild and maintaining a collection. I came across a cache that stated it has several coins in it for the harvesting of icons. The coins were not removable from the cache. Ok, fine and dandy! But when I got to the cache and found facsimilies I did feel cheated. I still harvested the tracking #s and claimed the discovery per the owner's intentions but felt kinda sleazy about it.

Is that any worse than discovering a collector's entire collection at an event rather than finding each individual coin in the field?

I think it is about the same as discovering a collection at an event, just that you don't have to have it scheduled.

btw, I don't log coins at events, and probably wouldn't log the copy coins in a cache like you mentioned. But I'm not in it for the numbers or icons, I know... weird. :D