What software to use to design a coin?

res2100

With the previous coins we have made, we always got someone else to design the final graphics for our coins based on our ideas and preliminary artwork. However we want to give this a try ourselves for a new trade-only personal coin that we want to make.

Any suggestions on what software package would be good or best to use? I've tried Photoshop Elements in the past, but seem to have problems creating perfect circles and curved text. Any other suggestions on what I can use and what would be straight forward to use?

Alternatively if someone wants to take a stab at designing our new coin, I am open to offers, and of course they would be rewarded with some coins for their effort.

I am not sure about Elements, but in Photoshop you can draw shapes. However, I think what you really need is an illustration program that also has "paint" capabilities. The problem of course is the time investment in learning how to use it properly.

I always recommend programs by Mediachance because they provide 90% of the power of the highest end software programs available at 10% of the price and with more stability. You can have a look at RealDraw Pro HERE.

Edited by danoshimano

Creating coins is a lot of fun. I've been using Adobe Photoshop 6.0. I'm not an artist, have no formal training, but I enjoy playing with programs. When I started my ideas/designs looked a lot like this:

Hoot_heads.jpg

Now they are turning out more like these: (both are copywrite Wicks Works designs)

stonehenge03.jpgwaterbaron_reverse_02copy.jpg

It's a learning process, and I have a LOT more to learn, but it's fun. I'd be happy to give your coin a shot, pm me with some info, what you'd like, color preferences, shape etc.

Does a coin have to be designed on the computer to be made? Can't it be drawn and just sent to a coin maker? I am thinking about making a personal coin and haven't done any research on specifics, yet. I just thought you could sent a picture. For those of you who have completed the process, what have you done?

Does a coin have to be designed on the computer to be made? Can't it be drawn and just sent to a coin maker? I am thinking about making a personal coin and haven't done any research on specifics, yet. I just thought you could sent a picture. For those of you who have completed the process, what have you done?

That's exactly how I've always done it. I've put something together, sometimes just describing it verbally, and Coins&Pins has always handled the rest for me. No need to learn the software!

Photoshop and Illustrator are great and my standards, but even so I always start out on paper. My favorite design to date was sketched with Moun10Girl on a napkin while waiting for lunch. Coming up with a concept is definitely the hardest part of the design. There are a lot of places to find help from that point. My all time favorite example of this is the Parents of Sam coin thread. It started as an idea and became reality thanks to the multiple input of ideas and solutions by the good folks here in the thread. Anybody have that link?

Photoshop and Illustrator are great and my standards, but even so I always start out on paper. My favorite design to date was sketched with Moun10Girl on a napkin while waiting for lunch. Coming up with a concept is definitely the hardest part of the design. There are a lot of places to find help from that point. My all time favorite example of this is the Parents of Sam coin thread. It started as an idea and became reality thanks to the multiple input of ideas and solutions by the good folks here in the thread. Anybody have that link?

I sure do have a link.....ParentsofSAM Coin Design Thread

:rolleyes: We owe our great coin to the folks right here in this forum!