New Australian Mapping option?

AussieCacher

Right now when you click on a US cache listing you will be given an option to click on a Map(View Map) that is just near the "waypoint : GCXXXX". This will display a fairly good map of the area. From there you can then click on a "Beta Google Map" those shows some great details of the location and satellite photo of the cache along with close by caches. Here is an example: Google type Mapping for US Nodes

In the Australian cache listings the only option given is to click a link that says Country Link. This shows a very basic zoomable map of Australia with nothing more than caches stuck an Australian map with NO details at all. Here is an example. Current Australian Mapping option . It's VERY plain and useless to most geocachers.

In the past few months Google has released an Australian version of mapping exactly the same as the Beta Version Used on US caches. The mapping used by Googles is 1000 times beter than the current mapping option given to Aussie geocachers. Here is an example of how an Aussie map could look ( with no caches yet as this is just a google map) can be found here... New Australian Geocaching Maps??

What is everyones opinion on adding this to All Australia geocache listings? It's a major leep forward for every listing in Australia. I think it's a no brainer but we need some good feedback to make this happen. :laughing:

Edited by VK2AAQ

Sorry, but I don't understand your request. I clicked on a few cache listings in your wonderful country, and for mapping options, this is what I saw:

For online maps...

Geocaching.com Maps

Geocaching.com Google Map

Multimap.com map

street-directory.com.au map

Google Maps

MapQuest

Yahoo Maps

Microsoft MapPoint

When I follow the Google Maps link and the Geocaching.com Google Map link, the resulting map looks just as nice as it does here in the U.S.

So, I must be missing something, perhaps because I don't speak Straln.

Sorry, but I don't understand your request. I clicked on a few cache listings in your wonderful country, and for mapping options, this is what I saw:

For online maps...

Geocaching.com Maps

Multimap.com map

street-directory.com.au map

Google Maps

MapQuest

Yahoo Maps

Microsoft MapPoint

When I follow the Google Maps link and the Geocaching.com Google Map link, the resulting map looks just as nice as it does here in the U.S.

So, I must be missing something, perhaps because I don't speak Straln.

I guess people are missing my point. In the US you can click a link and it will show all the near by caches on the one map along with a satellite overlay. You can also click on any cache and obtain cache info, etc. The current options under mapping in Australia give you only an arrow pointing towards the cache you selected. You can't see any other caches or cache options. Here is an example...

Google Maps button that shows the cache in Australia that your talking about...

Australian Google Map with single cache(arrow).

Google Maps button that shows the mapping option in Australia that your talking about...

Australian Google Map with single cache(arrow)

This is what it would change to.....This option is not available in Australia..

US mapping with multiple caches

Can you seen the difference?

YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND!

OK. Here is how to get "basically" what you want.

Go back to that US example you sighted.

15200785656.png

Now zoom out .... zoom out again... and again ... until you see all of North America.

15200785305.png

Now, scroll the map to Australia.

15200785424.png

Now, zoom in ONE LEVEL ... then ONE MORE LEVEL ... and so on.

15200785913.png

Soon, you will see a screen full of Australian caches.

15200784931.png

The trick is you MUST start your search from the US.

Edited by michigansnorkeler

Great. That's exactly what I'm talking about. It would be nice if this was linked directly from each cache in Australia (as it is in the US)instead of having to start in the US each time. As I said in my initial post, the only thing you get when you click the same link in an Australian listing is a plain map of Australia. I think it will make hunting geocaches a bit easier for everyone in Australia, especially newbies.

Edited by VK2AAQ

This was very confusing to me when I tried to look up some information on Canadian Caches, just 30 miles away. No problem if I started in the US and scrolled over to Canada. But if I started from the Canadian cache link, I ended up with the same useless nonsense you get clicking on your Australian cache link.

Glad my discovery was of help to you, and potentially to anyone else in the world!

Hey, does that mean I made a meaningful contribution to the entire (geocaching) world? :D

After that response, you peaked my curiosity.

Wondering how you got it, I looked over the other map options. I never had reason to use them before, but I noticed this option ...

Under "For Online Maps", the second option

162007105738.png

Sure enough, click it and you get what I was trying to show, with a single click!

You learn something new every day!

Well, my way was one of those Rube Goldberg ways of doing it.

Edited by michigansnorkeler

I have been using maps like the 1st and the 5th maps shown above here in Brisbane Australia for months. I think you might be a bit behind the times.

Your right it's under "Geocaching Google Maps". That wasn't there a while ago... I was back in Austrlia only 2 months ago and that option wasn't available. All they nee to do is link it from up top next to the GCXXXX code and it's good. Problem solved. I'd just hate for something being available and people from Australia missing out on it.

I have been using maps like the 1st and the 5th maps shown above here in Brisbane Australia for months. I think you might be a bit behind the times.

Your right it's under "Geocaching Google Maps". That wasn't there a while ago... I was back in Austrlia only 2 months ago and that option wasn't available. All they nee to do is link it from up top next to the GCXXXX code and it's good. Problem solved. I'd just hate for something being available and people from Australia missing out on it.

Glad we are now talking about the same thing and "Geocaching.com Google Maps" is a brilliant facility. I use it a lot as it gives a clear indication of what is around in an area AND you can link straight to their web page to view the listing.

Glad we are now talking about the same thing and "Geocaching.com Google Maps" is a brilliant facility. I use it a lot as it gives a clear indication of what is around in an area AND you can link straight to their web page to view the listing.

Yep, I would have to agree that Google Maps is just fantastic. Australia is well covered for a change :anicute:

Brian, as I know you are a GSAK user you might also be interest in this macro

myGMEv02.jpg

Slightly off topic but related to this. Current the Google maps options gives create views of nearby streets which help me/us get to a suitable place to park/drive to.

currently I have to print-out page then zoom in with Google-maps to achieve this.

I notice when I click the print option on the page it gives me a "mapQuest" graphic which is a 10,000 ft view of the whole area, which isn't all that useful, could you set this view at a lower altitude and/or use Google maps and have a default zoom let at street level (or make it customisable)

Example Print page

The main aim is when I print out the page I don't have to pen any more info to the page like street directions etc.

Note MapQuest doesn't seem to have full-coverage in Canberra/Australia so GoogleMaps seems to be a better choice anyway

thanks

Paul

Edited by mtrax