Classic Signature Items

Today I was looking at my geocoins and was thinking back to the days when these were really mostly signature items and not Travel Bugs. Then I took a look at the signature items I have collected as well --- which made me think....what are the "classic" signature items out there?

I can think of a few:

Keila's Shotglass

The Geolens

Team360's Kokopelli rocks

I also heard there were some hiking staffs and some magic wands at some point.

Anyone have a long memory? What do you remember as the "old school" signature items? (pictures would be cool - I'll try to post photo's of the ones I mentioned above and have.

When I first started in 2004/2005 I think poker chips were common.

But I have to say my favorite is something like a wooden nickel. I have one for myself, and I love to see other peoples'. You can customize them just how you want, and still can be cheap enough for most cachers. My non-cacher friend saw mine, and even had a bunch made for his business. He now uses them instead of business cards.

Fergus Chain Mail!

Fergus is old school....I mean REALLY old school! As an active SCA member and a geocacher he combines the two by placing chain mail balls, pouches, and hanging candle holders as FTF prizes into his new caches and local regular sized caches that he finds (He's not a big fan of the micro hide, but will do them with a group). When a new Fergus cache is placed you should see everyone run! He also brings a few of his balls (NO JOKES PLEASE!) to events for the travel bug table or to hand off to a cacher for some various thing or another. He's been VERY kind to Alex of The_Incredibles and his wife has been very kind to Laura also!

Thanks to him for one of the coolest sig items we've come across. There used to be a photo of one of Fergus' chain mail balls on Jeremy's desk at Groundspeak HQ on the front page.

Edited by lpyankeefan

I remember seeing a bunch of little plastic containers no larger than the tip of your pinky finger, each with a small ball bearing in them and an inscription of the owner's name inside. They were so bizarre and unique, they've stuck with me over the years.. Any idea who's they might have been?

As for us, we just kept it simple and stuck with the old .0001 Mexican peso coins:

Pesos.jpg

My good caching friends the Ladybug Kids from Fairbanks AK have little numbered handmade glass ladybugs they make up to leave in favorite caches. I've gained several over the past two years - very cute and unique. Scobey and his daughter Geminigirl have excellent pins they leave behind all over Anchorage... I see lots of them because they always beat me to the find!

Just yesterday I 'salted' a replacement cache container at my Three Forks of the Montana cache (Talkeetna AK) with a NorthWest Original Sig Item - a globalgirl passport and globe. It's an absolutely gorgeous creation that so fits her caching handle and the game - a really neat 'first to find' prize for the replacement container, since globalgirl visited there in September '05 as part of cent5's Alaska Cache'N'Dash "party".

Here's a photo of the sig item atop the lovely cache container (a gift from the AK Cache'N'Dash folks... a sig item in itself, but not shown to its best in this photo):

fc50eb28-6dd5-45f7-b2fa-563226d62da6.jpg

(edited to fix incorrect link)

Edited by NorthWes

One of my most treasured "old-school" geo-signature items is the handmade

(I mean really PAINSTAKENLY handmade, incredible detail)

brass token by habercacher.

I still have and treasure my Nurse Dave carabiner as well as my LadyBug Kids ladybug.

My own MrCOgeo GeoToken (2004) is still going strong as well:

mrcogeotoken_small_real.gif

Edited: Fur Spelling and Trying to get a Pic up

Edited by MrCOgeo

Wow, I'm honored to be on LFD's short list! Here's a pic of my shotglass:

738e37e1-68b3-432d-a894-ee0ef61a766b.jpg

c542ed41-9714-4221-bfa7-765391e2989c.jpg

I also have a Marshmallow Gun (Made by Touchstone with Joe Frog's permission) - way cool!

I also have a handmade geocin pouch made by BadAndy that is wicked cool.

I still love the handmade items and chersih those more than the geocoins.

I also recall a Geo-bone that came out as sig item well before the coin craze took off....

i have the tackiest sig item in caching.

bc523079-2ae7-4fd6-b2a5-76026373394c.jpg

I just looked up at my bulletin board expecting to see mine but AAKKK! It's gone! I'm guessing that one of those two munchkins running around here had something to do with that!!!! :D

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!!! :laughing:<_<:tired:

I have one of those!!! The Babybugs keep trying to steal it too! :D

The Royal Bug Family is getting our nickels now

Each of us has one with our bug on one side and the family logo on the other. Anyone that collects them all can get a prize from us! (There are a total of 7 of the Royal Bug coins) You have to meet each of us or find one in the wild to get one!

Nickel.jpg

Edited by queen_ladybug