Sudoku Geocache

Jaminjer

Hi,

I am fairly new to geocaching and am currently in the Baja. I would like to hide a cache but would like to add a sudoku puzzle to the page to intrigue those looking for a cache in the Baja.

Can anyone direct me to the information that will help me place a sudoku puzzle on the Hide a cache page?

Will I need a web page of my own to post the puzzle on first?

Any information will help.

Thanks

Jaminjer :laughing:

Hi,

I am fairly new to geocaching and am currently in the Baja. I would like to hide a cache but would like to add a sudoku puzzle to the page to intrigue those looking for a cache in the Baja.

Can anyone direct me to the information that will help me place a sudoku puzzle on the Hide a cache page?

Thanks

just sign up on a photo sharing web site and upload it on there. most of them are free. then when you go to do your description put the image link in there. I use photobucket.com myself. If you need help just pm me.

Jayman11

Hi,

Thanks

And how does SUDOKU puzzle enhance geocaching....Personally I have absolutely no interest in SUDOKU...

IF it has to be solved to find cache, yours is one cache that I will probably never hunt....

To me its just another clutter item that woud have negetive impact on sport.

Dale

Hate to say this but use frontpage express (yuck) to create the sudoku and then copy and paste the HTML onto your cache page see our profile for an archived sudoku that uses this technique.

At the time one of the first sudoku caches in the world.

I would say with the number of online solvers (i have an excel version and a palm and one on my mobile) they are just too easy these days.

Hi,

Thanks

Sudoku cache? That's sooo 6 months ago. :ph34r:

As long as Sudoku caches don't take over the world, I don't see any problem in them being used as a logical puzzle to solve for a puzzle cache. If people don't like puzzle caches, then don't do them and let the people who really enjoy them get the kick in the pants for the joy and satisfaction of a job well done. I personally like puzzle caches, and Sudoku puzzles are good ones to include.

Here is a Sudoku Puzzle cache that I did that was really well done.

Be sure to read the listing guidelines before submitting a cache so far away from your home in Oregon. See the section on vacation caches/ caches beyond your maintainable distance. You'll need to explain to the reviewer how you visit the area very frequently, or how you've arranged for a local geocacher to maintain your cache for you.

Sorry to go off topic, but I'd hate to see a delay in your cache getting listed due to having to go back and forth with the reviewer about your maintenance plan.

And how does SUDOKU puzzle enhance geocaching....Personally I have absolutely no interest in SUDOKU...

IF it has to be solved to find cache, yours is one cache that I will probably never hunt....

To me its just another clutter item that woud have negetive impact on sport.

Dale

Since it does not interest you, I highly suggest you don't search for it as you said. I don't believe there is a rule against creative caches. And I fail to see how this would be any different than any other puzzle cache where one would have to solve a puzzle to locate the cache. I for one enjoy Sudoku and would search for it if it were near me.

Edited by PilotMan

Since it does not interest you, I highly suggest you don't search for it as you said. I don't believe there is a rule against creative caches. And I fail to see how this would be any different than any other puzzle cache where one would have to solve a puzzle to locate the cache. I for one enjoy Sudoku and would search for it if it were near me.

Sudoku is to puzzle caches, what lamp posts are to micros. Like lamp post hides, the first one or two are clever, the 30th makes you want to hit your head against a wall.

Sudoku is to puzzle caches, what lamp posts are to micros. Like lamp post hides, the first one or two are clever, the 30th makes you want to hit your head against a wall.

That's the problem.

I personally love sudoku puzzles. But they can now be solved by free programs. And even if they're not, they can get repetitive.

If you really understand sudoku, and want people to really solve the puzzle, there are some tricks you can pull.

As you know, more complex puzzles cannot be solved by merely checking the horizontal, vertical, and boxed numbers. In the more difficult puzzles, you eventually get to the point where EVERY remaining square has at least two possible valid numbers. These difficult or diabolical level puzzles are the bane of beginner sudoku enthusiasts. From this point, you must try one number and see how far it gets you. If that doesn't work then the second number MUST be right.

Your instructions could somehow include this in solving YOUR puzzle. Have them solve the sudoku puzzle until you end up with, lets say, two possible numbers in box 3,4. Then have them enter the WRONG number as one of YOUR coordiates. You HAVE to manually solve it to get this information. No computer program, that I know of, will partially solve the sudoku puzzle to this point.

Another common characteristic of sudoku puzzles, is ending up with doubles or triplets in certain boxes. Again, this could only be determined if the puzzle was manually determined.

Of course, forcing players to manually solve your sudoku will limit how many people solve your cache puzzle. Now, if your intent is a 3 or 4 difficulty ... there you go.

So, Do You Sudoku?