Using a GPS to mark a trail

kurchian

Make sure that tracking is turned on. When you get to the head of the trail, clear your track. Start walking. When you get to the end of the trail, save the track. Repeat these steps for the next trail. There are other ways, but this way is easier than having to edit tracks later. Most gps's should be able to do all the above.

Make sure that tracking is turned on. When you get to the head of the trail, clear your track. Start walking. When you get to the end of the trail, save the track. Repeat these steps for the next trail. There are other ways, but this way is easier than having to edit tracks later. Most gps's should be able to do all the above.

Is it possible to import that track into MapSend Topo and have it marked on the detail map so you can see it next time you are in the area?

Is it possible to import that track into MapSend Topo and have it marked on the detail map so you can see it next time you are in the area?

you can import it into mapsend topo, but can't actually make the track part of the map. As long as you have the track saved on your gps, you can display it on the gps so you will see it the next time you are in the area.

Most GPS receivers automatically record the track by default. You then use some software to upload the track from the unit.

If you would tell us the model of your GPS, we could help in more detail.

I am using a Garmin 60CSx.

My goal would be to export the tracks onto some sort of map so that the public forests in my area could show the trails.

I am using a Garmin 60CSx.

My goal would be to export the tracks onto some sort of map so that the public forests in my area could show the trails.

End Quote

I have a 60Cx, and it is very easy to export your tracks to Google Earth maps. I have done it over 100 times.

1. Download the free version of Google Earth.

2. Do a hike, run, walk, bicycle ride or drive your car with the 60CSx on. It will automatically record and store your tracks.

3. Attach your 60CSx to your computer via the USB cable that came with your GPS.

At this point I must state that I use a Macintosh, and am not familiar with the Windows OS. You must get software that can download the tracks from the GPS to the computer. I'm guessing that GPSBabel will do the trick. You want to save the file in the KML format. If you are using a Macintosh, you should use LoadMyTracks, which is a free application.

4. After you have the tracks in the computer as a KML file, simply open the KML file in Google Earth, and you will be able to see your track(s) on Google Earth.

DO NOT do this with a Garmin receiver.

Saved tracks lose substantial amounts of data.

For the 60C(S)x.

GPS Setup:

1) press "menu" twice to get to the main menu page.

2) Choose "tracks"

3) Choose "Setup"

4) Check "Wrap when Full" checkbox

5) Choose "Auto" under "Record Method"

6) Choose "Most Often" under "Interval"

7) Choose "Data Card Setup"

8) Check "Log Track Data to Card"

and you are good to go!

Getting Tracks from the GPS:

1) Open the program "Mapsource".

2) Connect GPS to computer with USB cable.

3) Choose "Transfer" and then "Receive from Device".

4) Check "Tracks" in the "what to receive" area and the correct GPS unit in the "device" section and click on "Receive".

5) After loading is complete, choose "File" and "Save".

Getting Tracks from the Card.

1) Plug unit into computer with USB cable and turn it on.

2) Press "menu" twice to get to the main menu screen.

3) Choose "Setup"

4) Choose "Interface"

5) Choose "USB Mass Storage"

6) A new drive should show up on the computer which is the micro SD card inthe unit.You with see a list of .GPX files in the root directory named by date. These are the tracklogs for each day. Copy whatever you need to your computer and open with Mapsource.

Yes it's possilbe to download the tracks, I have a meridian gold and we used it to re-map a local girl scout camp, We walked all the trails and roads as well as marked all the campsites then downloaded it to mapsend and printed out a new and improved map.

For displaying tracks on the gps, I do this quite often. They display fine. He wanted a way to display the track when he returned to the area. Up to this point he had not revealed what type of GPS he had. I could not assume that he had a Garmin with a data card.

Saved tracks lose substantial amounts of data.

Yes, you do lose some data, but nothing that will affect what the OP is trying to do - plot the trail on a map. What you will lose is timestamp data (irrelevant to the task at hand), altitude readings (irrelevant to the task at hand), and some superfluous data points (also irrelevant to the task at hand).

So yes, it's perfectly fine to save the individual trails as separate track logs.

So yes, it's perfectly fine to save the individual trails as separate track logs.

Hang on.....

If you have a 10000 point track log and save it, you will get 500 points. This will NOT be perfectly fine for use.

The OP has an "X" receiver. There is no reason not to store the complete and unfiltered tracks and then not worrying about losing data.

I don't know if you use a Garmin 60CSX but:-

To save a track in the unit reduces it to 500 points!!

To save it on the SD card for transfer to the PC and MapSource saves it completely [up to 10,000 points]

You can in MapSource [quite quickly] turn into a 'Route' and transfer it back into the unit or share it as a track or route with others.

Reducing a 2 hour walk to 500 points seems restricting the track to a point every 24 seconds instead of every 2 or 3 seconds. On the Coast where I live you would be in the Irish Sea in 24 seconds!

Saving it within the unit is wasting one of the greatest advantages of the 'X' series!!

What a wonderful resource! I am appreciative for the many responses to my question.

My ultimate goal is to walk some trails and print the maps (with walked trails) on a hard copy map for local distribution.

I am using a Garmin 60CSx and will be using a Mac as my computer interface. I will be out on the trails this weekend testing the ideas you have provided.

I will report back here to share my experience.

Edited by kurchian

What a wonderful resource! I am appreciative for the many responses to my question.

My ultimate goal is to walk some trails and print the maps (with walked trails) on a hard copy map for local distribution.

I am using a Garmin 60CSx and will be using a Mac as my computer interface. I will be out on the trails this weekend testing the ideas you have provided.

Well, you can do it either of the 2 ways mentioned above. I assume that if you are going to walk the trails, then 500 trackpoints is enough. If you want the simplified method, save each track individually. It will be more than adequate for what you want.

Red90, I worked as a cartographer in the mid 80's, early 90's with Federal Forestry, so I do know a little about mapping. If the OP had to ask this question, he is obviously not familiar with GPS, and therefore more than likely not into "true mapping". Hence, my response. What he wants is what I assumed he wants. Yes, I could have lectured him in the operation of Garmin's tracklog being saved to the data card, and how to edit these tracks in mapource, and so on. But it is unnecessary for his needs.

O.K., if you're using a Macintosh running OSX, I suggest you do the following:

1. Download Google Earth for Macintosh, it's free:

http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

2. Download LoadMyTracks for Macintosh, it's also free:

http://www.cluetrust.com/LoadMyTracks.html

3. Attach your 60CSx to the Mac via the USB cable.

4. Start up LoadMyTracks and check "Track" and "KML," then click on "Acquire." You will then have a KML file of your route on your computer.

5. Double click on the KML file, it will open up Google Earth and show you your tracks. Note that the color of the track will be in white. You can easily change the color and width of the track by going into Google Earth and right-clicking on "ACTIVE LOG" of the track you are viewing. Then click on "Get Info," and you can change the color and width of the track.

6. That's it, you're done.

Edited by Barrikady

Well, you can do it either of the 2 ways mentioned above. I assume that if you are going to walk the trails, then 500 trackpoints is enough.

You need to get out on longer hikes. I frequently ran out of the 10000 point limit when hiking before the "X" series was in my hands.

I produce trail maps for Garmin units and rarely will a track that is sent to me be less than 500 points. Normally they are a few thousand.

An example is the last one I received. 14 kms and 1480 track points. If that had been saved many parts of the track would be of little use for the field navigation.

Well, you can do it either of the 2 ways mentioned above. I assume that if you are going to walk the trails, then 500 trackpoints is enough.

You need to get out on longer hikes. I frequently ran out of the 10000 point limit when hiking before the "X" series was in my hands.

I produce trail maps for Garmin units and rarely will a track that is sent to me be less than 500 points. Normally they are a few thousand.

An example is the last one I received. 14 kms and 1480 track points. If that had been saved many parts of the track would be of little use for the field navigation.

I agree that if i were going to create a map that i would not used the saved track method...i do not use that method myself, as i know how to manipulate the data card tracks. In no way was I implying that this method would create as accurate maps as logging to data card. But i still maintain that the saved tracks would be sufficient for what the OP wants. You see, I have a stubborn streak as well!!

Question concerning only the part pertaining to saving tracks to the GPSr 60CSx data card? Here is the scenario I'm referring to: Say you want to create 10-15 tracks of different ATV trails that are in the same general area but none of them are connected to each other and the trails may be seperated from one another by as much as a mile.

I'm aware of the way to save them as saved track logs, renaming them, and clearing the active track log before and after creating the track to avoid having the straight line going from the end of one track to the beginning of the next track (I've had this happen). What I'm wanting to know is if the tracks are saved to the GPSR's data card do you still get this straight line from the end your completed track to the beginning of the new track you are about to create? This only becomes a problem when you are mapping and the trails are not connected to each other. I am assuming that you would since the GPSr thinks this is part of the track, when in reality it is not, and requires you to edit the 10-15 tracks after uploading in Mapsource??? Is there a way to keep this from happening to tracks that are saved on the same day to the data card?

Red90, GreatCanadian, or Prime Suspect or anyone else who has actually done it educate me as to if my assumption is correct and how to keep this from happening if it can be? Thanks All, for the very informative input.

No, you should NEVER get a straight line between track segments either on the GPSR or in Mapsource.

For the card storage. Everytime the tracklog is stopped or started (manually or by turning off the unit), a new track is created. On the card, you get one GPX file per day. Within each files are as many separate tracks as were made that day. Within Mapsource the tracks are easily trimmed, joined, editted or filtered with the track editting tools. I doo most of my track editting in mapsource these days as the tools that are there are pretty good sinc ethe last major release of the software.

No, you should NEVER get a straight line between track segments either on the GPSR or in Mapsource.

For the card storage. Everytime the tracklog is stopped or started (manually or by turning off the unit), a new track is created. On the card, you get one GPX file per day. Within each files are as many separate tracks as were made that day. Within Mapsource the tracks are easily trimmed, joined, editted or filtered with the track editting tools. I doo most of my track editting in mapsource these days as the tools that are there are pretty good sinc ethe last major release of the software.

Thanks Red90

In the past when I actually created tracks per the scenario I referred to using the "saved tracks" method I always had a straight line between my tracks when I uploaded it to Mapsource, if I didn't clear the active track log first. Had this happen numerous times and it created extra work to to edit the tracks. This was back when I was using Mapsource 3.0; has this changed with the latest version, which I am using now. I just haven't tried it in a while.

Thanks

Since we're on the topic of trails... I've been messing around with creating my own custom topo and trail maps for my Garmin 60CSx using the info contained at: http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm.

This has been the only place where I've been able to get around the problem of .gpx tracks. The problem I have with them is that they force the track to be linear. I can't figure out a good way to walk a trail system without creating a number "loops" in my track log.

I have imported my .gpx files into GPSMapEdit and then converted them to Polylines, that I can split and connect as I need to for accuracy. But, have any of you figured out any other methods for creating track logs that are adequate for mapping not only long linear hikes, but also the branching trails off of the main trails in a single file?

Reducing a 2 hour walk to 500 points seems restricting the track to a point every 24 seconds instead of every 2 or 3 seconds. On the Coast where I live you would be in the Irish Sea in 24 seconds!

If you have 500 point for a 2 hour walk then the points are about 80 to 100 feet apart. I pencil line or any other line depicting your trail on a 1:50000 topo map is about 150 feet wide.

(1mm on the map equals 50 meters or 164 feet in reality.)

So if you "navigate" with a paper map, you can't expect GPS accuracy.

It's nice to be precise when making a map, but you have to be realistic about what is possible when making a model and a map is nothing else. I wouldn't worry to much, no map used for hiking is so accurate, all you want from a map is to identify your trail and not to pinpoint your position to the third digit.

GermanSailor

I am not sure if I am understanding you correctly, but I think I know what you are asking. You can see my trail map at http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/maplist.php?author=4216

What I do is if I am going to backtrack after GPSing a part of the trail, is I will turn off the GPS and then turn it back on. That will make the 60CSX start a new track. That usually makes things easier. When I get home, I upload to MapSource. In MapSource I will split tracks and clean them up and name them. Then I save the file. Then I import them into GPSMapedit. Then I will zoom in on where tracks connect and adjust to make them connect if needed. It is much easier to split the tracks and clean them up in MapSource than in GPSMapedit.

Since we're on the topic of trails... I've been messing around with creating my own custom topo and trail maps for my Garmin 60CSx using the info contained at: http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm.

This has been the only place where I've been able to get around the problem of .gpx tracks. The problem I have with them is that they force the track to be linear. I can't figure out a good way to walk a trail system without creating a number "loops" in my track log.

I have imported my .gpx files into GPSMapEdit and then converted them to Polylines, that I can split and connect as I need to for accuracy. But, have any of you figured out any other methods for creating track logs that are adequate for mapping not only long linear hikes, but also the branching trails off of the main trails in a single file?

It's nice to be precise when making a map, but you have to be realistic about what is possible when making a model and a map is nothing else. I wouldn't worry to much, no map used for hiking is so accurate, all you want from a map is to identify your trail and not to pinpoint your position to the third digit.

GermanSailor

The maps I make for hiking are expected to be accurate to within 10 meters. If you are off the line then you only have 20 meters maximum to look to find it.

I am not sure if I am understanding you correctly, but I think I know what you are asking. You can see my trail map at http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/maplist.php?author=4216

What I do is if I am going to backtrack after GPSing a part of the trail, is I will turn off the GPS and then turn it back on. That will make the 60CSX start a new track. That usually makes things easier. When I get home, I upload to MapSource. In MapSource I will split tracks and clean them up and name them. Then I save the file. Then I import them into GPSMapedit. Then I will zoom in on where tracks connect and adjust to make them connect if needed. It is much easier to split the tracks and clean them up in MapSource than in GPSMapedit.

That's what I thought. I've been using GPSMapEdit, but I didn't know if there was another way to get the .gpx files to split more effectively. I personally have had better luck editing trail maps in GPSMapEdit, but I'll give track spliting another shot in MapSource. Thanks for the reply.