60CSx pointer and bearing numbers dissapearing

scnascar

Anyone else experiencing the issue with your red pointer and bearing numbers just disappearing while caching? I'm still running software version 3.00. I have contacted garmin via e-mail about this and will see what they say. Just curious if anybody else and those running 3.10 is having this same issue.

Chris

Anyone else experiencing the issue with your red pointer and bearing numbers just disappearing while caching? I'm still running software version 3.00. I have contacted garmin via e-mail about this and will see what they say. Just curious if anybody else and those running 3.10 is having this same issue.

I've seen it when I drive to a cache and use road directions to get close. The GPS says arrived and turns off the arrow. I have to re-find the cache with off road set.

Yes, I have just started having this very same problem. I have been using the 60csx for 9 months and with the last update (3.10) it started doing the same thing with the pointer disappearing. For me is does not matter what function I was doing previously. This is happening after the compass is calibrated also. I calibrate everytime I change batteries. Also, I have had the pointer being off 180 degrees (backwards) and have had to find a cache that way.

I was scanning the forums for this very topic. I just got a 60CSx and went on a cache-trek today with it. The bearing indicator on the compass and the heading display turned off on 3 different occasions. This all happened when the unit entered the electronic compass mode because I wasn't moving fast enough and usually right after I stuck it in my pocket. I recalibrated and they came back, but found it to be an annoyance. I was thinking the electronic compass was causing this, but couldn't remember how to turn it off to check (is there not a menu item for this?). Also noticed that on several occasions when I stopped that my topo map page was only drawing about 70% of the page, but would do 100% fill when I started moving again. Anybody tried with the compass off? I'm running 3.10

Did anyone try "off road" guidance for caching? Please answer because I am curious.

Menu->Menu->Setup->Routing-Guidance

It fixes the problem for me. I set guidance to "prompt" and do "off road" for finding a cache waypoint.

As noted above, I have not had the mentioned problem, but I also have had my unit set as you describe. Maybe you are on to something. :huh:

Did anyone try "off road" guidance for caching? Please answer because I am curious.

It fixes the problem for me. I set guidance to "prompt" and do "off road" for finding a cache waypoint.

I've always used off road for caching. Were you having problems before similar to the rest of us, then they went away when you set to off road? Love the name btw :huh:

I've always used off road for caching. Were you having problems before similar to the rest of us, then they went away when you set to off road? Love the name btw :huh:

When on road after 3.10 I noticed it. When I got anywhere near the cache not using "off road", it would say "arrived" and shut off the pointer.

When on road after 3.10 I noticed it. When I got anywhere near the cache not using "off road", it would say "arrived" and shut off the pointer.

This happened to me with I think my 76C and my 60CSx. If I tried to search for a 'cache via ON-ROAD and it was fairly close to the road, it would say I arrived when I got as close as I could w/o leaving the road. But if I tried to find it again in off-road mode, it would show that I had to get out and walk to reach the 'cache.

GeoBC

I have had this problem with my CSX since version 2.90. Easiest fix has been to turn off electronic compass (hold down page key for 2 secs) and then turn it back on same way. Ends up being a minor inconvenience and happens under many different conditions. Would love to hear what others have found.

I've talked to Garmin this week about this issue and they want to do some diagnostic testing on my unit. They are sending me a new unit in the mail, but I don't have much confidence that it will be any different. I mentioned there were a bunch of people on this board that have experienced similar problems and he was surprised because they have not received much feedback about this issue. He says they are concerned because people buy this unit to get the electronic compass (and altimeter). Sounds like the issue is getting elevated a little.