Don't get Pocket TOPO from NG

I resently bought TOPO! and Pocket TOPO! by National Geographic. While the software for the desktop is ok, though exported GPX files seem to have problems, Pocket TOPO! is useless. Exported maps from the desktop software does not include waypoints, only symbols and optionaly notes. The desktop software has no way of converting it's waypoints to symbols either.

I'm still looking for good software that serves my purposes, I'm almost thinking I should just buy Mapopolis maps as that is what I've been using this last week. (using a 10 day demo map atm) the only problem is they don't show trails and have no way of importing trails.

I got NG Pocket Topo and NG Topo! for Christmas and have found that they both work great if used for what they were designed for. Pocket Topo is great at shooting profiles and figuring distances and elevations. Nothing better out there. I use it a lot. NG Topo! has the best maps and software available in my opinion. I have Mapopolis and it works great too. They all have their advantages. It's great being able to do profiles in Pocket Topo though.

Just my opinion!!

My setup is Ipaq 3950 with dongle to Garmin Etrex. I also have a Magellan Explorist 210 my son uses!

If you give a little more detail about what devices you are using for gps and or pocket pc or palm you might get some helpin more useful solution to your problems.

I knew I forgot to put something in that post. :(

I'm using an iPAQ rx3115 with 64MB ram. I generaly keep a 2GB SD card in it and I use a bluetooth GPS reciever (16 channels, -152 dBm, can charge via usb or built in solar panel)

Peto, ok so it is usefull for some things, just not for Geocashing, if it just had better res and could import waypoints....

Mapopolis is great for street navigation and urban areas but won't do you much good out on trails and such.I am assuming you are already using the gpxtomaplet program to overlay the caches onto the mapoplis maps.There sevral options for trail navigation out there but of the ones I have seen ll of those are no help for road navigation.If you dont have one already get a program like cachemate or gpxsonar for paperless caching information.I persoanlly like cachemate a lot yes its not free like gpxsonar but for $8 it is a great piece of software and with the included cachnav plugin can be used for navigatig to the cache like a standard hanheld gps goto screen.I spent about my first 4-5 months caching with this setup and loved it.If you have any other ?s post them or if you need help with any of the programs I am always glad to help by personal message or on yahoo messenger

Mapopolis is great for street navigation and urban areas but won't do you much good out on trails and such.I am assuming you are already using the gpxtomaplet program to overlay the caches onto the mapoplis maps.There sevral options for trail navigation out there but of the ones I have seen ll of those are no help for road navigation.If you dont have one already get a program like cachemate or gpxsonar for paperless caching information.I persoanlly like cachemate a lot yes its not free like gpxsonar but for $8 it is a great piece of software and with the included cachnav plugin can be used for navigatig to the cache like a standard hanheld gps goto screen.I spent about my first 4-5 months caching with this setup and loved it.If you have any other ?s post them or if you need help with any of the programs I am always glad to help by personal message or on yahoo messenger

Yep, using gpxtomaplet. I'm running the trial of cachemate as well. I think my "trial" map of my area has expired though, so it's either do it another way or fork out the $100 for the Mapopolis Nav maps. (Entire US)

Biggest problem with Mapopolis and importing using gpxtomaplet is the displayed cords arn't accurate, it has the correct ones entered but the last digit is off by one on the long and lat.

Currently looking at GPS Tuner, going to check it out and see how I like it.

In Mapopolis, if you zoom in the entire way, then the coordinates should be correct. Even so, being off by only one is less than 10 feet, which shouldn't be a problem for geocaching. Finally, while the coordinates might be off by one, the actual maplet should be in the correct place.

Mapopolis can provide some trail information with its breadcrumb feature. This is how you do it.

Tools -> Settings -> GPS Options -> Select the "Log Data" tab (Do this before you set out on your hike/drive. It records your position at some interval. I think it's every second).

Then do:

Tools -> Settings -> Map Features -> Select the "GPS Trail" box.

This should display a series of dots, making up your trail, as you walk along. The "GPS Trail" option displays it on the map. There is also a feature if you'd like to sit on your couch at home and replay the trip on the Pocket PC. Try this:

Tools -> GPS -> View (at the bottom) -> Show Log -> Tap on one of your saved trips -> Select Log Playback at the bottom -> Tap OK and watch it replay your trip on the map. I never found a good use for this, but it is a cool feature, I think.

Now, from the GPS Log screen, you can select Save/Restore from the bottom and save your file as a text document. You end up with a text document that shows relevant data such as the coordinates, the time you were at those coordinates, elevation, and some other things. This is a way to save your trail. I don't know how to convert it into anything useful because I never tried. Maybe GPSBabel can convert it to another format.

I'd also think that you could import some other trail from another source if you could get it into a .gpx file, then use gpxtomaplet to convert it over to a series of maplets that would display in Mapopolis. I've also never tried this.

I'm not trying to talk you into Mapopolis or tell you that there are other options that might better suit your needs (I don't know of any), but I want to offer some clarifications on Mapopolis' capabilities.

You should also know that Mapopolis is apprarently going out of the Pocket PC business. There's a thread here probably pushed back a few pages on the subject. Or, you could surf over to gpspassion.com and look in the Mapopolis forums for more details.

This means no more program updates (which is okay because the program is pretty competent already), but it also means no more map updates, so you're stuck with the version of maps you buy. It's too bad because, absent evaluations of other programs by myself, it appears that Mapopolis was much better for geocaching and off-road activities than other navigation programs.

I have never actually used mapopolis fo the finl finding of the cache I use it to get me very close and then use Cachemate to zero in on it.Like said above I am sure you could just use the compass page in mapopolis to do it and only need the one program but since cachemate is already running for the paperless info it is not an issue to use it for the goto screen.If you want paperless I would probably pay the $8 for cachemate definitly worth the money.

Also Drake check your pm

While Pocket PC does not allow transfer of waypoints from the desktop program, what I do is convert the waypoint to Notes and then it trasnfers. You have to do this one at a time, but if you trasnfering an area with only a few points, it's not a big deal.

Right click on the Waypoints using the Waypoint tool. Select Create Waypoint Note. Do all the waypoints. A long name with coordinates will be created for each waypoint.

To shorten the name, switch select tools to A or notes. Right click on the note label displayed and change the name to something simple like A, the next to B etc.

When you download the maps from your PC to PPC the waypoints tranfer as Notes. You can Go To etc just like a waypoint.