Using the Radio Shack USB to Serial Cable with Vista

DJCCWilson

This is for those that have upgraded to Windows Vista and have found that lo and behold the cable will no longer work with their GPS. It took me a couple of days to figure this out and Radio Shack still hasn't responded to my email... So, I thought I'd post this where it could do some good.

I use the USB to Serial cable made by Radio Shack to connect my Garmin GPS. This should make it work for anyone else who uses this cable to connect their GPS. Not just for Garmin.

The drivers that are available at the RS site and that come with the cable will not work with Vista.

Vista will recognize that the cable is there but cannot install the drivers nor download them from the net.

Here is the confirmed fix, I finished this last night:

NOTE: This worked for me. Please don't hold me responsible if it doesn't work. I don't know why it wouldn't but just the same, I do not know your computers configuration and this post is just to help others trying to fix the problem.

1. Go here http://www.floridaprobe.com/usb_install.htm and towards the bottom of the page you will see this "Driver Installation files for Radio Shack users"

2. Download the files.

3. Extract them (it will create a folder called "rshack") and copy the rshack folder to the C:\Windows\inf\ folder (I am going to assume the C: drive at this point if you use another drive just change the C: to whatever it is)

4. If you have your cable attached go to the control panel.

Select Hardware and Sound.

Select Device Manager.

In the other devices section you should see something like USB to Serial, Right click and select Update Driver Software.

Select Browse my computer for driver software.

In the dialog box type in the directory you put the files in earlier

(C:\Windows\inf\rshack)

Make sure you have a check mark in check subfolders box.

Click next.

At this point Vista should find the driver files for you.

The driver is not digitally signed so you will get a dialog wanting you to confirm installation of the drivers.

After this completes you are good to go!

You should be done.

5. If you have not attached your cable.

Complete all steps up to and including step 3.

Plug in your cable.

Allow Vista to look for your device...

When it can't find it select other options and then browse my computer for driver files.

Point it to the C:\Windows\inf\rshack folder make sure the check subfolders box is selected.

Click next.

At this point Vista should find the driver files for you.

The driver is not digitally signed so you will get a dialog wanting you to confirm installation of the drivers.

After this completes you are good to go!

You should be now able to use your cable for GPS Ham radio whatever you want.

It seems so simple now. Hope this helps someone!

Aloha

Dean

Please spread this around if you know places it can be used... I want to save anyone else from having to go through all work I had to do to get this working! ;)

You ROCK!! We were just about to head out for a day of geocaching...our first in over a year. Glad I tried to download waypoints to the GPS BEFORE we left the hotel!! You were a lifesaver!!!

PS - this topic came up in a Google search...I should have known to come here first!

Thanks,

The Shavers

:)