Cadastral survey disk?

skeezicks

I found a cadastral survey disk while caching.I didn't see it listed in the benchmarks search and was wondering it this was a benchmark or not?Thanks.I have a picture of it on my desktop,but couldn't figure out how to post it here.

Most cadastral marks are not in the NGS/GC database.

To upload a picture try this link for directions on how to.

John

Here is a picture of the cadastral survey disk I was talking about.If it is not listed in the benchmarks,do I still consider it a benchmark find.The reason I was wanting to know is,If it is still a benchmark find, I am keeping track of the ones I find and will mark this as my first benchmark find.Thanks.ff1b4b7d-73f6-42b1-bc27-5e014cd7d212.jpg

Here is a picture of the cadastral survey disk I was talking about.If it is not listed in the benchmarks,do I still consider it a benchmark find.The reason I was wanting to know is,If it is still a benchmark find, I am keeping track of the ones I find and will mark this as my first benchmark find.Thanks.ff1b4b7d-73f6-42b1-bc27-5e014cd7d212.jpg

Skeezicks,

You found one of the many BLM cadastral survey marks located all over the Public Lands Survey States. This particular mark is an angle point located along Bureau of Reclamation land somewhere around the Court Sheriff Recreation area on the north side of Canyon Ferry Reservoir. It is impossible to determine what this mark marks exactly without seeing the survey notes, but this mark was in a survey by

D CHRISTIANSEN of the BLM with a survey approval date of 31-MAY-1983.

You can look at the frequently asked questions at this link Frequently asked questions..

You can log this as John mentioned in the Waymarking area.

Have fun finding more marks, there are a lot in the Helena area.

CallawayMT

... it is a benchmark ...

In these forums, and elsewhere on GC.com, the term 'benchmark' has come to mean nearly any survey monument. In the survey & engineering fields, however, a benchmark is only used for vertical positioning and measurements. A cadastral mark, which is usually used to define land boundaries (such as Public Lands or private land ownership), is only used for horizontal positioning and measurements.

While occasionally a physical mark may serve double-duty for both horizontal and vertical positioning, the terms 'benchmark' & 'cadastral mark' are not interchangable.

- Kewaneh