Pipe Bomb Cache

Jayel57

Jayel57...Jail57...Jail...Let's have this hider in Jail... huh. Just sayin'.

PLEASE don't hunt my caches! I just can't believe it's gone so far as tracking the guy down and siccing the law on him.

As was mentioned above, picking a pipe to assume is a bomb instead of some other container... I don't know, but I suspect a pipe isn't even the favored container of bombers... so we eliminate pipe caches, then what, we go after ammo cans?

What triggered the "Yikes, it's a bomb!" reaction? That it was a pipe? Would any other container hanging in that tree at those coordinates have given you the leaping fantods?

Would a military-issue decon container have scared you, hanging from a coat hanger in a tree at posted coordinates?

Or was it "Dang, I don't like that cache. I think I will make an example here"?

I am serious. What makes a geocacher do this?

My thoughts exactly!

Just for argument's sake, let's pretend that this was a real event, and examine it accordingly:

Somebody hid a cache, not an improvised explosive device. Unless that thing fell out of a tree and bonked you on the head, it is completely harmless. Looking at the picture that was provided, there is no way anybody brighter than a ball peen hammer could have believed that pipe thing was an IED. Now we are asked to not only believe that "somebody" thought it was a bomb, we are also asked to believe that a geocacher thought it was a bomb. That stretches probability to the breaking point. And for further indignation, we are asked to believe that a seasoned law enforcement officer, who is also a geocacher, thought that was a bomb? Sorry, that is where the BS meter spikes. There is no way any cop could possibly be ignorant enough to believe that thing was a bomb. Not even a full lobotomy could reduce an individual's IQ that much.

Since it's pretty clear that the finder did not actually believe it was a bomb, and decided, in their infinite wisdom, to call out the bomb squad any way, it seems there must be an agenda at play. What could that agenda be? Some sort of sick, twisted "I hate pipe caches" message? Personally, I happen to hate Gladware. They are absolutely horrible cache containers. Should I call the bomb squad the next time I find one? Let us also assume that the finder called the bomb squad simply because they did not approve of the container type. After all, the "facts" seem to spell that out. Couldn't they simply remove the cache and send an E-mail to the hider explaining their actions? That would have protected our oh so frail public just as effectively as calling out the bomb squad, but it wouldn't be nearly as dramatic. Hmmm... Maybe I just hit on something... It is apparent to me that the person who called out the bomb squad knew exactly what response would be generated by their actions, and should be held accountable for any expenditures. Blame the Chicken Little, not the cache hider.

Here's a bit of free education for those who are curious about the thought process involved in detonating an IED:

Folks join explosive ordinance disposal teams for one reason: They like blowing stuff up. I've had the pleasure of dealing with numerous EOD teams from numerous jurisdictions, and that one single factor is their greatest draw. Those folks who love blowing stuff up the most are the ones who stick with it long enough to participate in setting policy. The end result is, if an EOD team responds, something's getting demolished. It tickles me to no end to be amongst these guys when they are discussing a suspect package.

"Have you identified it?"

"Yes Sir, it's a box of pears."

"What's the game plan?"

"We're gonna trigger it......duh" :)

if an EOD team responds, something's getting demolished. It tickles me to no end to be amongst these guys when they are discussing a suspect package.

"What's the game plan?"

I'd quote the whole post, but that gets tedious.... I haven't laughed so hard since Auntie Weasel's post on the Hell is Other People thread.

:) psst, don't tell your wife, Riffster, but I'm in love.... IK

OK, I'll be the heavy. Hopefully this gets locked soon.

IMHO, one of two scenarios has taken place;

1. The cache did go boom based on information from the cache finder who either had a ax to grind or was simply bored that day.

2. This cacher was simply bored and wanted the attention that the log and the subsequent thread would create.

The proper way to handle it was either scold the hider directly or, if you still need attention, do it in the log. If you feel as strongly about it as has been portrayed, don't log it.

If I get flack for this, so be it, however this has gone on long enough. It is not only ginving GC a bad name, but is also making the law enforcement there look like the Keystone cops and I feel that is really the most unfair portion.

There is really no evidence it happened and, if they bothered to take a picture of it in the first place, how about pictures of the detonation and the results.

Soory, sumthin' just ain't white in the milk.

Jayel57 Here. yes this is the real deal. AND, we found the guy (thanks to my webmaster guru daughter) that placed this ridiculos cache. For those of you thatthink I over reacted or it was a joke, try contacting the multi-jurisdictional EDU in the Portland - Metro (Oregon) area. They don't think it was a joke they think this has to do with a whacko that is toying with National Security issues.

Hmmmmm, GJB's final post in the other Pipe Bomb thread painted you in a better light than this drive-bye OP. I would rather you had left the issue in its grave than give me further cause to wonder if you really had some ax to grind.

I'll still save judgement.

Here's what your OP didn't do for me..... It didn't give a logical reasoning for why you did what you did any better than what we saw in the other thread.

I'm faintly starting to hear grinding sounds in spite of wishing to stay on the fence. Was your OP the final word on the subject? If so, you didn't do yourself any favors......

I was pretty content to just watch the flogging here. But then after being contacted in private by the OP for simply noting my impression that the cache placer was a sock puppet acct., I see that the OP seems intent on pushing her views onto others.

So now I too will be contacting my sis who lives in Portland and find out what she knows about it. I searched for Portland Bomb Squad and found the Washington County Sheriffs Press Release page with nothing. And heres the Clackamas County Sherriffs Press Release page, also with nothing related. It appears that the Multnomah County Sheriff's press release has no news at all about anything.heh.

This should have been a non-public event, and looks like the police think so to.

Those links are very telling. Thank you for posting them.

Maybe I need glasses, but I failed to notice the series of events leading up to this "Real Deal" that was mentioned in GJB's final post in the other thread.

ARE THERE any links that would support these claims? :)

Just for argument's sake, let's pretend that this was a real event, and examine it accordingly:

Somebody hid a cache, not an improvised explosive device. Unless that thing fell out of a tree and bonked you on the head, it is completely harmless. Looking at the picture that was provided, there is no way anybody brighter than a ball peen hammer could have believed that pipe thing was an IED. Now we are asked to not only believe that "somebody" thought it was a bomb, we are also asked to believe that a geocacher thought it was a bomb. That stretches probability to the breaking point. And for further indignation, we are asked to believe that a seasoned law enforcement officer, who is also a geocacher, thought that was a bomb? Sorry, that is where the BS meter spikes. There is no way any cop could possibly be ignorant enough to believe that thing was a bomb. Not even a full lobotomy could reduce an individual's IQ that much.

Since it's pretty clear that the finder did not actually believe it was a bomb, and decided, in their infinite wisdom, to call out the bomb squad any way, it seems there must be an agenda at play. What could that agenda be? Some sort of sick, twisted "I hate pipe caches" message? Personally, I happen to hate Gladware. They are absolutely horrible cache containers. Should I call the bomb squad the next time I find one? Let us also assume that the finder called the bomb squad simply because they did not approve of the container type. After all, the "facts" seem to spell that out. Couldn't they simply remove the cache and send an E-mail to the hider explaining their actions? That would have protected our oh so frail public just as effectively as calling out the bomb squad, but it wouldn't be nearly as dramatic. Hmmm... Maybe I just hit on something... It is apparent to me that the person who called out the bomb squad knew exactly what response would be generated by their actions, and should be held accountable for any expenditures. Blame the Chicken Little, not the cache hider.

Here's a bit of free education for those who are curious about the thought process involved in detonating an IED:

Folks join explosive ordinance disposal teams for one reason: They like blowing stuff up. I've had the pleasure of dealing with numerous EOD teams from numerous jurisdictions, and that one single factor is their greatest draw. Those folks who love blowing stuff up the most are the ones who stick with it long enough to participate in setting policy. The end result is, if an EOD team responds, something's getting demolished. It tickles me to no end to be amongst these guys when they are discussing a suspect package.

"What's the game plan?"

This post really started to set things in perspective for me. I always appreciate the LEO point of view on something like this.

I said it in the other thread and I'll say it here. Just from my meager training with the HPD Bomb Squad and a look at the satellite pic of the location, I believe, if you polled the EOD team present, notta one truly believed it was a real explosive device.

Just a personal observation:

I work in a high speed in-house corporate security unit, so I have the pleasure of working with cops several times a year.

There is a huge difference between cops and security. Security is mainly proactive and police forces are mainly reactive. It's a mindset. Mindsets have a way of staying with us long after we've gone on to greener pastures.

As a security officer, when I'm doing my job well, nothing happens. A cop's main duty is to respond when something DOES happen.

From nearly 20 years of personal experience, cops make crappy security officers.

All I'm saying from that is J57 could be operating from a reactive mindset. It's becoming more evident that a little less could have been made of this from my position on the fence.

Still not judging though.... :huh:

...Since it's pretty clear that the finder did not actually believe it was a bomb, and decided, in their infinite wisdom, to call out the bomb squad any way, it seems there must be an agenda at play....

Excellent point. Alas the harm created to push the agenda was worse than the problem they were trying to make their point about.

When you call in a threat you know to be false isn't that the living defintion of a hoax which is punishable under the law?