Pay It Forward Project Should it Continue

pay_it_forward

I got an email from someone today that told me I was a total idiot and by giving people a shiny coin I could not possibly change their lives in anyway meaningful.

I don't think that he is right, do you? Have you received a coin, seen a coin? Has finding out about the Pay It Forward idea changed the way you do things at all?

Or is he right, I am an idealist that needs to become "jaded"?

I have heard from many of you, but out of respect for your privacy I will not share those with others, so hopefully you will.

Love and Light

PIF

Edited by pay_it_forward

I can hardly believe that someone would be so mean about such a noble cool project. I will be glad to say I have received a Pay It Forward Coin. It was a great honor to receive. It has been suggested that it would be nice to put the coin out to travel to well . . . pay it forward. It is a treasure to me, but I am thinking the right thing to to is to share the coin with the community.

I just watched the Movie Pay It Forward again last night and it brought tears to my eyes. In the movie as in life there were cynics. So all you can do is ignore them.

This reminds us that giving is important.

Thanks for doing it and I hope the project does continue.

My kids used to get "Caught you being good" rewards at school in one school district.

We moved to another school district. The kids and the teachers are jaded. I like the poorer school district we came from better.

A while back I had an idea for a coin like that. A way to reward someone who had done a good thing for geocaching. I put it on the back burner, and at some point saw your pay it foward coins and smiled.

A quote from the movie Second Hand Lions sums it up:

"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that, boy. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in."

There is absolutly been a positive reaction from this ideal around here. Now I wont say it changed the world, but the word was spread to everyone through emails and the mini-event, not to mention the cache that was placed will continue to put the thought into future cachers minds. Proof is right here in this log! It all has to start with that seed in the mind that doing good to others will make this world a better place.

I applaude what your doing. And please dont listen to any negativity, thats what we are trying to work against!

Being new to this Geocoin community, I can't really say I know how this pay it forward started. I can say that the short amount of time I have been here, this seems to be one of projects that is a very worthy cause. The fact that you give something to those that give to this or any community speaks volumes. It is not often you hear of someone doing for others without expecting something back. To recognize them with a token of gratitiude is the best thing anyone could do. I would say ignore that cynical person that sent that email!! It is people like you that restore faith and kindness to a world that is ever increasingly turning against each other.

I have not seen or received one of these but have heard the reactions of those that have recieved them. They are just completely honored! So I say keep it going!

A few weeks ago, just after we had hidden our PIF coin, it was Martin Luther King Day and I was listening to NPR. There was a long story on the MLK holiday. In one segment the reporter described his chance meeting with Dr. King in 1965. It happened when he and a friend were in Miami on their college spring break. He described their brief encounter, and the story ended with the narrator saying something along the lines of "before Martin Luther King was a national holiday, he was just one man who believed he could change the world." I'm paraphrasing here, because I can't find a link to the story, but if I find it I'll send it to you.

So that's my way of saying, yes continue. Don't let the b******s get you down.

I think that person might understand if it was something of interest to them.... possibly geocoin/coins are not one of thoses things.

I will say that I've always believed in being good and trying to be good... so my good part is that this person doesn't understand what good feelings we get from such small things... I'm sure they have their special "something" that makes them feel special.

Don't take it to heart, your doing a good thing.

Thanks!

Cache Agent

I got an email from someone today that told me I was a total idiot and by giving people a shiny coin I could not possibly change their lives in anyway meaningful.

I don't think that he is right, do you? Have you received a coin, seen a coin? Has finding out about the Pay It Forward idea changed the way you do things at all?

I have heard from many of you, but out of respect for your privacy I will not share those with others, so hopefully you will.

Love and Light

PIF

I've read about this project and think that it's awesome. Many times those that positively influence our lives are not even aware that they are doing it. To be able to thank them in a meaningful way is great. What some people don't understand is sometimes small things become large things because the right person is touched. Sometimes you've never even meet that person in person but only online. Whoever told you that a coin couldn't change anyone's life in a meaningful way needs to meet my friend and fellow cacher in NE. He changed several hundred service member's lives with a can of kool-aid. I know becuase I was the first one to get a can while serving in the middle east in 2003. He spread the word to send me care packages which I shared. At one point, besides sharing with the camp I lived in, I was sharing with 10 other units throughout Iraq and anyone coming through our camp. Currently, Operation Kool-aide has 3 regional cordinators and still sends packages over to a central point for distribution throughout the theater. But it didn't end there because when I came home, I mentioned to a friend how much those packages meant to us and how they improved our morale. She organized a group on our local Navy base which sends out 35 to 60 packages monthly to service members in war zones. If a can of kool-aid can make that much difference, why can't a coin? You just never know.

Terri

I cannot believe that someone emailed that to you! I think (hope) that you will find more people that support this project than those that do not. If you "change" only one life with your project, isn't it worth it? Our whole family helped hide the coins...so I can tell you that you've affected 4 (me, my husband and the girls)...children learn by example, and mine knew exactly what we were doing when we hid the coins and why. Teaching them to pay-it-foward is worth so much! Thank-you for this WONDERFUL project!

I LOVE this project!!! I think it is wonderful. I like being able to do things for others without them expecting it. I liked your idea so much that I sent my own coin out on it's mission to continue paying it forward, and I'm not the only one who liked that idea, if you have a minute read this thread, The Pay it Forward Mission Coin! I've even had others offer to send me their PIF coin to send out on the same mission! I've often wondered, "If I paid for the next person at the gas pump, say $10.00 since you never know ones fuel needs, and told them to pay it forward, if they would." Some day I might just try it and see how it works out. It may be an idealist idea, but it's a GREAT idea. There are several commercials on TV with this theory in them, and they always make me smile, so keep up the good work!

I received one of these coins, and was touched beyond what words could convey. I knew about the project when I recieved my email, so I knew exactly how special it is.

I'm not sure exactly what I want to do with mine yet. I don't want to keep it to myself. I want to share it with others and hope they get a little joy out of it!

:) For the few caches that I have done, there is a really terrific person in our Geocaching Community that completely stumped me this fall. I was on a small mountain side with a friend looking for a few hours for his Cache. It began to get dark, so my friend went back to the car to get a flashlight. We didn't find it.

A week later, I was back, this time... alone. I looked for an hour...DNF. Another week passed, and I returned to New Jersey, Picked up my Friend, and we went back again... after an hour, we found it.

I was never so thrilled in my life. My friend had long since given up and was in CITO mode. He was shocked that I found it.

I stood there, and thought at that Moment, how wonderful it would be to Thank this person.

After taking on another Challenge and finding another one of his Caches, I went home and emailed a Thank you.

When PIF came and I made my nomination, and received my coin to hide for this person... I was so excited.

The PIF Coin held a lot of meaning when I hid it for this Cacher... and he found it soon after.

I really felt the magic in that one little coin. Count me in as a believer.

Well I'm glad they wrote you that message. They're lousy, ill-mannered cretins, but because of their ridiculous behavior you're getting to hear what a tremendous difference your efforts have made in people's lives. I've received one of these coins and it has been one of the great hilights of my year. It's also prompted me to seek out my own pay-it-forward style projects. Because of you, I'll feel better every time I leave a shiny new coin in a cache waiting for someone to find it and realize it's unactivated. I'll remember your convictions and think of the the future smiles paying it forward will bring. More importantly, I'll do it more often. You may not have changed the world, but you've changed me. I may not change the whole world, but hopefully I'll reach somebody else. Before long, you'll realize that the pebble you've thrown in the pond has changed things forever. :)

Love and Light

PIF

You don't say whether or not this person received a coin and was responding, or just someone who heard about the idea. If this person has not received a coin, I would gladly pay for a coin to be sent to him/her. It sounds as though s/he needs it.

If it was someone who received a coin and was responding, then that's very sad. Sad that they've done something to get them to be nominated but have such a negative outlook.

Yes, it's worth it. There will probably always be a few whose outlook on nearly everything is cynical. Perhaps we can't raise their spirits, but we can raise the spirits of everyone around them. :)

You can add my "keep up the good work" to all the others above. Don't let the nay-sayers get to you. They will always be around to try to drag you down to their level of negativity. Judging from the posts here, there are a lot of people who know better than to let them succeed. What you're doing is admirable. :)

Without even really knowing what this is all about all I really had to do was read the original post.

Don't let a few negative people stop you from doing something positive. A positive thing doesn't have to be earth shattering.

Isn't it worth it even if the only result is for a few moments the person that receives the coin has a smile on their face?

Edited by Eric K

First let me apologize if the topic made you think I was thinking of stopping the project. I can tell you that I am not and the samples for the 2008 and beyond coins should be arriving in my mailbox from the the wonderful folks at Landsharkz within days.

This is an opportunity for you to let others know that in someway we change the world everytime we change our minds.

Chris this comment alone "You may not have changed the world, but you've changed me" has made the entire project worth the time, money, and effort. And I receive things like this in my inbox daily, but they don't touch other people sitting in my inbox.

This is your opportunity to share them with each other not only me.

Love and Light

PIF

I used to work as a negotiator and in all cases we were required to keep the lines of communications open, even when we were mystified or outraged we had to smile and be nice. Faced with that challenge we learned to take everything in stride, we had a saying which we repeated quite often when faced with the incomprehensible;

"It takes all kinds to make a world."

I was surprised, pleased and humbled to receive a Pay it Forward geocoin. Even if I had never been nominated I would be supportive of your project because the whole idea of offering "recognition" to those who contribute is positive, it is a plus for all geocachers everywhere, a plus for our community. I am still thrilled that I received one of these geocoins!

Geocaching continues to affect my life, my outlook and my priorities. I never imagined I would be a volunteer, an organizer, a concerned citizen; all of these roles have developed naturally from my love of geocaching.

Thank you for starting the Pay it Forward project. The Pay it Forward geocoin is one of the highlights of my life as a geocacher, even if it isn't made of jade. I think you are making a difference. Thank You.

I would also like to thank the geocacher who nominated me for this geocoin. Thank You.

Edited by wavector

Even though I haven't been a recipient of a PIF coin, I think it's a wonderful project! Don't let someones negativity get you down or sidetrack you from your mission. By the posts above you have certainly affected more than just one person in a positive manner.

Keep up the great work!

That ridiculously bitter criticism only serves as further justification for what you're doing. Who knows? Maybe that person will eventually be the receipient of someone else's good deed...and they'll suddenly see things differently. Someday, maybe.

Or, maybe whoever it is will have a tree fall on their toe.

Moving on.....

I think this is a great project. I'm waiting for a PIF coin to arrive here, so I can set it out for someone.

Stick with it, PIF, you're doing a very good thing.

He's wrong on both counts. I admire the people who make it to adulthood and beyond without allowing the quality of being nice without ulterior motives to be stripped from their character. I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the people who either nominated someone or received a coin are making an effort to pay it forward in other areas of their lives. As someone who was surprised with an award for something I wasn't doing for fame and glory, I can tell you how great it feels to know that someone appreciates your work enough to nominate you. It made my year.

Don't let this guy get to you. He may have grown up about the same time as I did, when "everyone is a winner!" and you got rewarded even if you didn't do anything. A few of the people I went to school with still throw tantrums because they did nothing and someone else gets recognized for their hard work. I think the PIF coins are a great project, because you can thank the people who go above and beyond without any expectation of thanks.

I have received geocoins in trades that I was not expecting, and the giving that went into that act changes it from just another trade to something much more meanigful. There's not only the surprise and happiness factor at an extra unexpected treasure, but also an added appreciation for the person resposible and their generosity, which in turn makes me feel more giving. I have not received a regular PIF coin, but I felt very priviledged to be able to trade for one of the LE versions. I think receiving one of these coins would make anyone's day.

WOW. I'm shocked. Perhaps the emailer in question just needs to watch the movie or read the book so they can understand better. It really puts it out there for you and you leave feeling like you just want to run out and help someone. So if you are reading this, whomever you are, please go to the library and check out the book or go to the movie store to rent it. Maybe then you'll realize how paying it forward really can change the world, be it thru coins, cards, marbles or whatever. It's called listening to your heart and following it to make a difference by helping others. Not to hard to do, once you take the focus off yourself and your own needs.

Keep it up PIF :anitongue: YOU ROCK!!!! <_< and I thank you (again) for the coin I got just last week and the neat "thank you" that came with it. Its an honor that I am proud of and it IS making a difference.

I can't believe that someone in the caching community would come out with a statement like that. I guess that says a lot for what that person believes in.

I was nominated to receive one of the coins and it is a very special feeling knowing that someone respects you so much that they will submit your name. I also nominated a few people in my area and I would have loved to see their faces when they found the coins. This is about sharing and helping change the world one person at a time. I hope you are able to keep this up as I know how I felt and I would love to be able to share the feeling with others. :anitongue:

Edited by graylling

I am honored to have been able to not only nominate but be tasked to hide one of these for someone I concider very worthy of the recognition they so deserve. i have also been able to now include others in our association to be directly involved in the placement of this coin and by the time we will be done a whole gaggle of folks will have had the opportunity to touch and place this coin in an appropriate place for the recipient here.

Please find us humbled by your allowing us this simple pleasure of being involved in your goal/s...

Now I need to get off my butt & get the cache out to the person I nominated! That coin is sitting on my desk waiting & waiting for me to do something with it. I was excited to nominate the person! I was excited to get nominated! Thanks to this thread I will get my butt in gear! I will also find something special to do with my coin, instead of just putting it in my binder. This thread made me do it!! :huh: I really wanted to keep my coin, but what's the point of that? I'll PIF & have more fun with it. :huh: Thanks PIF!!

This project must continue, Random acts of kindness, there can never be enough of them. Wake the world up by spreading warmth.your love and light I am humbled to have a Gold LE Pay It Forward coin. And thank you for the oppertunity to Pay It Forward to others with the 3 coins I sent to the project :huh: Ignorance of others that are blind should never stand in your way :huh:

Glenn

I somehow missed the post before for this. Then I saw the movie again today and was thinking about a project for this and came on here and saw this post. I for one think it sounds like a great project and will have to look for the other post. To see what it is all about. Congrats to you for doing such a project.