a new look for an old ammo box.

One of our caches started to give the other day, it's a 3 year old lock n lock, Cracks in the corners are letting in the moisture.

So I set out to get a better cache box, so I won't have to replace it again :blink:.

I've always liked ammo boxes, but they are all beaten up, sratched and rusted. After all they have been to war.. So as a "face lift" and as some protection I...

Sanded the old box down, hammerd out a few dents, Sanded it some more, primed it, then painted it with a 4 color cammo scheam.. I know it looks %100 better, and I hope it will last longer than the last cahce box. Being metal with new primer and paint it should be a while before this one starts rusting. heh.

Set32_03.jpg

At our geomeet on Saturday, we had a cache design station set up for the kids - gave away the ammo cans after all the decorating was done. Here are the results:

2b5f192a-dc9e-4cdd-a30e-f2d7ee970f0a.jpg

5d7ba12c-5701-44ad-9cf7-316efc90b7f1.jpg

The kids had a blast decorating the cans, and they surely won't be like anything else you'll find in the woods!

Bigrock95, who won one of the caches, posted that a new cache will be up soon called "For the kids: I Love This Kash" - which is exactly what one young cacher painted on his box!

One of our caches started to give the other day, it's a 3 year old lock n lock, Cracks in the corners are letting in the moisture.

So I set out to get a better cache box, so I won't have to replace it again :signalviolin:.

I've always liked ammo boxes, but they are all beaten up, sratched and rusted. After all they have been to war.. So as a "face lift" and as some protection I...

Sanded the old box down, hammerd out a few dents, Sanded it some more, primed it, then painted it with a 4 color cammo scheam.. I know it looks %100 better, and I hope it will last longer than the last cahce box. Being metal with new primer and paint it should be a while before this one starts rusting. heh.

I like that you made the Waypoint Identifier (GC #) big and easy to read.

At our geomeet on Saturday, we had a cache design station set up for the kids - gave away the ammo cans after all the decorating was done. Here are the results:

<snip>

The kids had a blast decorating the cans, and they surely won't be like anything else you'll find in the woods!

Bigrock95, who won one of the caches, posted that a new cache will be up soon called "For the kids: I Love This Kash" - which is exactly what one young cacher painted on his box!

What a great idea - the cans are awsome. :signalviolin:

The kids and I did the same thing except we use our cans for camping. I gave them each a can and some paint and let them go wild. We use them as their camp kits - storage for any small personal items (bathroom goodies ect.)

a35952a1-e0df-498f-bafc-f55a487e816e.jpg here is the boy with a can we put out - his artwork.

29083_7300.gifGoofus uses an ammo box for his new cache, but doesn't paint over the "Danger! Explosive!" markings before hiding it in the bushes next to the post office.

29083_7200.gifGallant paints over all the old markings and clearly labels his container as a geocache.

Set34_01.jpg

Wow - I haven't seen Goofus and Gallant in years - back when I spent lots of time as a kid in Dr's offices waiting rooms... wow... heh