Website to share tracks/routes/maps for trails?

Cobber99

Just occured to me that the guy who created cGPSmapper, you remember that :P, maintains a site for the distribution of free maps for Garmin GPSr's. Indexed by state, what a concept.

With your web skills, shouldn't take more than a few seconds to find it.

Hermit

That is the site that I use. You can share your maps and trails there. Just make your trails into the .mp file and share them. Since cGPSmapper is the main reason we have custom maps I think it is the best choice. All you have to do is compress your .mp file into a zip and upload. The site will change the .mp to the .img file. Then others can simply download the .img file and they are on their way.

Edited by Bus36

Notes for upcoming web site design project:

- Create a site using the LAMP framework (Linux, Apache and MySQL, PHP) with the following goals:

1. User login with custom profiles, fields including username and contact info.

2. Unified sitewide chat system

3. Google Maps API integration for maps and hikes

4. User galleries for digital pictures, each tagged with coordinates

5. User forum

6. Ability for users to upload GPS track data as trails with waypoints for POI's and photos along the trail

7. User submitted TOPO maps, also tied-into the API

8. Attractive graphical interface

9. Enhanced user statistics package

10. Perhaps divide site into: Hikes, Bike Trails, Waterways

Yeah, I'll have this done in a few hours... :P

- Create a site using the LAMP framework (Linux, Apache and MySQL, PHP) with the following goals:

5. User forum

6. Ability for users to upload GPS track data as trails with waypoints for POI's and photos along the trail

That is what we need. Let us know when it is done. I will have data to submit :P

5. User forum

You mean you don't already have this done yet :P

I have been using Panoramio to share my pictures, tagged with coordinates. It made me wonder if there is a site that allows users to share their track files for others to use in their wilderness hiking.

Does such a beast exist?

Great site for topo maps http://www.topozone.com/

Ray

I'm using Topozone to get a map of Gunpowder Falls State Park/Prettyboy Reservoir. It's a nice site.

I have been using Panoramio to share my pictures, tagged with coordinates. It made me wonder if there is a site that allows users to share their track files for others to use in their wilderness hiking.

Does such a beast exist

Take a look at www.motionbased.com. It's is a website that Garmin bought some time ago. It's mostly intended for users of Garmin's Forerunner (runner) and Edge (cyclist) users, but there are lots hikes on this site as well as running and bike riding routes.

Click on the TrailNetwork tab and then do a search. Try "Joshua Tree hike" to get you started.

I've created a GPS data search tool that searches 40+ web sites for files like Garmin maps, .tpo, .gpx, etc. I follow topics like this thread and am always on the lookout for more sites to integrate. Unfortunately, Google doesn't index files (e.g., .gpx files) for downloading very well. If the web page title tags don't give the name of the trail or area, it doesn't tend to turn up in searches. That's my take on it anyway. So some sites with good data aren't added.

5. User forum

Yeah, I'll have this done in a few hours... :)

How's it coming along? :wub:

5. User forum

Yeah, I'll have this done in a few hours... :laughing:

How's it coming along? :o

He he - if I only had that kind of time :) I have been using so many different sites - one to host and display the track data, one for pictures (Flickr is amazing especially with the new feature that reads my coords off my EXIF data), and another to host waypoints, another for maps. Eeeek - if only this beast could happen :D

Would me kind of cool if we could download our track files to the geocache or if at least the cache owner had the option of downloading a track file to the cache page. Other would have the option to view it and/or download the track if they wanted to. The track would not have to lead them to the cache, but just show the trails in the area. Thats if the cache was on a hikig trail.

The file could include a waypoint for parking. Could also maybe include tracks for other trails in the same park that a cache is in.

Just a thought..

Edited by Milbank

Would me kind of cool if we could download our track files to the geocache or if at least the cache owner had the option of downloading a track file to the cache page. Other would have the option to view it and/or download the track if they wanted to. The track would not have to lead them to the cache, but just show the trails in the area. Thats if the cache was on a hikig trail.

The file could include a waypoint for parking. Could also maybe include tracks for other trails in the same park that a cache is in.

Just a thought..

Shameless plug:

Upload all that data to TrailRegistry.com. Then include the link to trailregistry in the geocache description.

-Geoff

Aww yeah Geoff - beat ya to your shameless plug :laughing: I posted a few trails earlier this week and will have more after the weekend. Can you please add "Sign Post", "Junction" and "POI" as waypoint types to chose from? I have all these question marks on waypoints that I chose for those good reasons. RAD site!

Aww yeah Geoff - beat ya to your shameless plug :o I posted a few trails earlier this week and will have more after the weekend. Can you please add "Sign Post", "Junction" and "POI" as waypoint types to chose from? I have all these question marks on waypoints that I chose for those good reasons. RAD site!

The trails look great! I love it when people put in decent descriptions! :rolleyes:

I'll work on that this week. To be clear we want:

1) Sign Post - Icon: Some sort of trail sign.

2) Junction - Icon: Yellow street sign w/ 4way intersection

3) POI - Icon: Magnifying glass? Exclamation Point?

-Geoff

Aww yeah Geoff - beat ya to your shameless plug :laughing: I posted a few trails earlier this week and will have more after the weekend. Can you please add "Sign Post", "Junction" and "POI" as waypoint types to chose from? I have all these question marks on waypoints that I chose for those good reasons. RAD site!

The trails look great! I love it when people put in decent descriptions! :laughing:

-Geoff

Yeah - perfect. I just think it would be sweet for hikes as people tend to mark those POIs. Wow - thanks!

There are way too many of these sites. I love the idea, but I don't want to search 50 sites to find a trail, and I don't want to submit my trails to 50 sites either. Imagine if geocaching were spread across 50 different sites. No thanks.

Someone should make a wikipedia-ish trail site. It should be user editable so trails can be either deleted of edited to make the quality of the site better. It would need to be versioned, so that if a malicious user deletes content, it is easy to go back a step in time to before that user caused problems. This would be truly awesome.

Yeah - perfect. I just think it would be sweet for hikes as people tend to mark those POIs. Wow - thanks!

The three new waypoint types are added. I ran through your trail submissions, and recatagorized the waypoints. I think they look much better now. Thanks for the suggestion!

Here's a link to one of your trails http://trailregistry.com/trailregistry/sho...tedTrail=127132

-Geoff