Geocoin icons - delete the log - still keep the icon?

scottpa100

Hello,

I have a geocoin which I want to people to move. I don't want it to just be discovered all the time. So I've put this on the geocoin page. And I've had my first discoverer today. But the person has deleted their logs from the page but I note from looking at their profile that they still keep the icon.

A little bug in the programming? Cos' if you delete a find log from a cache, you lose (rightly so) the find too.

Anyone else noted this? - does Groundspeak know about this little glitch?

Did you check to see if the icon that they still have is the same coin as yours? They could have found another coin with the same icon and upon deleting their log to your coin their count may have gone down, but they still have the icon because of another coin.?

One of the listed "lazy cachers" whose log was deleted still enjoys OP's coin icon and rightly so in my opinion. If a cacher finds a coin in a cache and goes to the effort of noting the tracking# and logging the discovery he/she is rightly entitled to the icon.

I would surmise that it is unfair to the cachers who've moved, discovered coins to lose their icons when the coin is sold/adopted and new owner decides to clean or delete all the logs to start anew. So by preserving the icons both sides get what they want.

Edited by Droo

Hello,

I have a geocoin which I want to people to move. I don't want it to just be discovered all the time. So I've put this on the geocoin page. And I've had my first discoverer today. But the person has deleted their logs from the page but I note from looking at their profile that they still keep the icon.

A little bug in the programming? Cos' if you delete a find log from a cache, you lose (rightly so) the find too.

Grow up.

Grow up.

Hello,

thanks for the constructive feedback. My reasoning is that having spent money on a geocoin, you want it to move. I understand from another UK geocacher that over in the US people mainly collect the coins, whilst in the UK, they are still - in the main - dealt with as TBs. Moving from cache to cache. And if you've spent the money on one that's what would be preferable. Otherwise I could leave a geocoin sellotaped on the inside of a shop window and people can admire it there far more easily than a little tupperware box in the woods somewhere.

Greetings, I have many coins that I have sent overseas to travel as well as the states. I have cachers pick up the coin while in their possession they may meet over a cup of coffee with friends that will discover the coin. I enjoy reading the logs :laughing: Then the coin does move along. I personally find no problem with my coin being discovered and enjoined by all that have a chance to see hold touch the coin while it travels. I guess this is to each their own.

Glenn

As much as I would love to collect geocoins, I don't have the funds. And even if I did have a collection, I certainly wouldn't take someone else's geocoin. That's beside the point. I treat geocoins just like travel bugs. The only time I went to a cache to discover a geocoin is because that was the intent of the geocache owner. The geocoins that he was placing in his cache are rare ones in our area, ie limited edition or small amount were minted. I didn't get to see the geocoin that was supposed to be there though, because the person before me took it (but returned it later when he saw cache mission). I thought it was very nice that a cache owner would take the time and continually revisit to make sure that the geocoin did not sit for very long (I think that he traded them every week or every other).

Edited by Want2bemore

Hello,

thanks for the constructive feedback. My reasoning is that having spent money on a geocoin, you want it to move. I understand from another UK geocacher that over in the US people mainly collect the coins, whilst in the UK, they are still - in the main - dealt with as TBs. Moving from cache to cache. And if you've spent the money on one that's what would be preferable. Otherwise I could leave a geocoin sellotaped on the inside of a shop window and people can admire it there far more easily than a little tupperware box in the woods somewhere.

I guess to each his own, but it seems very petty to me to attach rules to a coin or TB, I understand there was recently a cacher who quit over similar criticism of such petty "rules"

do whatever you want, but i'd discover it.

think about it this way, what if several cachers are caching together and only one of them is going to take the bug/coin and move it, the other cacher can at least discover it even if they weren't the one who physically dropped it in another cache.

I understand you want it to move, but why be petty about discovery?

Edited by Nero
I guess to each his own, but it seems very petty to me to attach rules to a coin or TB, I understand there was recently a cacher who quit over similar criticism of such petty "rules"

do whatever you want, but i'd discover it.

think about it this way, what if several cachers are caching together and only one of them is going to take the bug/coin and move it, the other cacher can at least discover it even if they weren't the one who physically dropped it in another cache.

I understand you want it to move, but why be petty about discovery?

Agree, deleting logs of someone who has admired the coin seems to take away from the fun of sport and bringing coins to events and dropping them into caches. Some folks want to discover due to the fact they may not be going anywhere at that time and leave the coin for another cacher who is willing to take it out on it's mission. I understand about spending money on your coins as I have 1500 of the things and it does entitle you to make missions and set rules. However, for the love of the sport and love of geocoins in general I personally wouldn't mind if everyone on earth discovered my coins.....that's what I bring my non-travelers to events for. Oh well, enough from me. Thanks for reading and have a good caching day. Go out and find something.

Sure it would be better if the coin moved, but what if the finder is/will be unable to move it in a reasonable amount of time? What if we can't further the "mission" of the item? I know I've left some for those reasons. If the coins were mine, I'd want to see discoveries in the logs so that I know the coins are still out there. So far, we note discoveries for every trackable we find.

Hello,

Sure it would be better if the coin moved, but what if the finder is/will be unable to move it in a reasonable amount of time? What if we can't further the "mission" of the item? I know I've left some for those reasons. If the coins were mine, I'd want to see discoveries in the logs so that I know the coins are still out there. So far, we note discoveries for every trackable we find.

Hello,

Discovering coins is part of the fun...not everyone can find really cool coins in caches, so at events and the like, discovering them is a neat way to get in contact with a great number of interesting coins one may never be normally able to do.

By the way...listing "lazy cachers" who discover your coin on the coin's mission page is well...childish. How old are you again? Does this make you feel smug in your own self-perceived superiority?

Grow up.

Just wait till your coin sits in a cache for a couple of months. You'll thank the "lazy cacher" who comes along, decides that they can't move it in the right direction, but discovers it. It lets you know it is there.

I had a coin sit in a cache for 6 months, with at least one finder every month and nobody mentioned the coin. I thought it was gone. Well finally someone came along and discovered it. I was glad to know it was still there. A couple weeks later someone moved it. But I was about to mark it as missing.

Hello,

As one of the earlier posts said, it could have been another coin with the same icon. If you want your coin to move quickly, then say so. But discovering a coin is within Groundspeak rules, and people can't always move a coin. Would you prefer that they moved it 161 meters just to get the icon, instead of discovering it?

Grow up.

Hello,

A little bit of a generalizatoin there.

Edited by general_tupperware

Since other threads on this debate have been circulating these forums for the last week or so I can see there are two distinct groups forming. Those who discover geocoins and those who don't.

Let me state up front that I fall into the second group. I am not an "icon collector" and it is my philosophy that I choose to "earn" the icons in my profile by moving the geocoins I find from cache to cache. It must be my BSA background but, I liken it to how merit badges are earned for achievements.

However, if the trackable listings in the Moved/Discovered area of the user profile were to be divided into two separate and distinct categories I would likely use the "discover" feature to log distinctive geocoins that belong to my caching colleagues.

Another facet to the recent discussions is a debate about the need for separate categorical distinctions to differentiate between traveling geocoins that you have placed in the wild vs geocoins you've activated but choose to hold in your collection. Perhaps to let your geobuddies "discover". :laughing:

Now I've read the opposing perspectives relating to both of these discussions and I don't see a downside to making both of these changes to the geocoin logging categories.

edit spelling

Edited by Cap'n YB

My reasoning is that having spent money on a geocoin, you want it to move. I understand from another UK geocacher that over in the US people mainly collect the coins, whilst in the UK, they are still - in the main - dealt with as TBs. Moving from cache to cache. And if you've spent the money on one that's what would be preferable. Otherwise I could leave a geocoin sellotaped on the inside of a shop window and people can admire it there far more easily than a little tupperware box in the woods somewhere.

Yes, here in the US coins have been stolen and alot of people collect the coins rather than release them. They make poor travel bugs. Once it is released into 'the wild' you no longer have control over where or what happens to the geocoin so your reasoning that you still want control isn't really realistic.

As for cellotaping it to a window... sounds like a plan to me! :laughing:

But the person has deleted their logs from the page but I note from looking at their profile that they still keep the icon.

A little bug in the programming?

If they have deleted all thier logs from that coin, yes it is suppose to remove the icon. There have been some problems with Traveler logs and such updating so I would wait a bit.

Yes, here in the US coins have been stolen and alot of people collect the coins rather than release them. They make poor travel bugs.

I'll have to disagree witht that sentiment. Geocoins (and I mean the real ones, not copies) make great travel bugs. Sometime this spring I'll have my 200th in the wild. Most move pretty well. They do disappear, and some are clearly stolen - but that is a risk with any TB. My coins have tended to to move much more quickly than my "traditional" TBs and have suffered from similar or lower attrition rates.

It gets old listening to people repeat the "gecoins get stolen" mantra. They do dissappear when caches get muggled, get picked up by newbie cachers (and not returned into circulation), and occasionally get stolen outright. BUT, if you have any experience with TB dogtags, you know the afformentioned problems are not unique to coins.

Keep them, collect them, or hoarde them (and by them I mean the coins that you obtain legitimately) if you want - but don't discourage a well meaning cacher from releasing a coin or few as travellers - they make GREAT TBs.

Edited by tokencollector