Regional Geocoin, Seeking Feedback

SLO Trekker

I am considering minting my first geocoin. Since it is not really a personal coin, but more of a regional coin, I am looking for some feedback from cachers who are local to the Central Coast. If things go well, this would be the first in a series of coins.

Here is my rough design. Once the details are hammered out, the design will be finalized by a pro.

fe789b18-8f56-45fa-a883-8eafaa26d64c.jpg

One side would have the Central Coast (without text on it, and it would not be the color shown). The ocean would be textured with transparent blue. A cache icon would mark the location of the particular city. For the first coin (SLO), the mission would be used for the back. The actual design would be a variation of what is shown (the city seal). I still have some color choices to make on the front side and outer ring, so those are not indicated.

Comments? Suggestions?

I am considering minting my first geocoin. Since it is not really a personal coin, but more of a regional coin, I am looking for some feedback from cachers who are local to the Central Coast. If things go well, this would be the first in a series of coins.

Here is my rough design. Once the details are hammered out, the design will be finalized by a pro.

fe789b18-8f56-45fa-a883-8eafaa26d64c.jpg

One side would have the Central Coast (without text on it, and it would not be the color shown). The ocean would be textured with transparent blue. A cache icon would mark the location of the particular city. For the first coin (SLO), the mission would be used for the back. The actual design would be a variation of what is shown (the city seal). I still have some color choices to make on the front side and outer ring, so those are not indicated.

Comments? Suggestions?

Looks interesting. How much do these things cost? Maybe you could put a poison ivy tri-leaf on a later series coin.

They usually sell for around $8-10 per coin. I won't know the actual price until later when they go into production. They are trackable, so you can send it out as a TB if you want, or drop an unactivated coin as a trade item, or keep it as a collectible. I have a small collection, but I've met some people who are really into it and have 1000-2000 coins. I have also used them as special gifts for FTFs.

As an active geocoiner (we don't have 1000s, but we do have a few hundred out there :( ), I'd be very interested in this one.

I like the idea of adding a PO leaf. That would make it a true regional coin, and, thus, something like a PC. I think you could do it by eliminating the two G-symbols from the left-hand illo, and put the PO leaf on the left-hand side, extending into the inner circle. You could probably eliminate the blue oval, as well; folks will know that that is ocean, because you call it the Central Coast. The PO leaf would also be another unifying image on the coins. Also, eliminating the blue oval would allow you to leave the coast line shaded in blue, which I think is the best color for it. You might also consider minting this in two different metals; lots of folks buy sets of different metals of the same coin, so that will increase you sales. I'm partial to copper, but lots of folks like black nickle. Finally, I would seriously consider minting enough for a custom icon; those add tremendously to the value of a geocoin, and more people from outside the area will be likely to buy one or two, as icon collecting is a big part of this side-hobby. Don't underestimate the power of the icon <_<

Finally, you should ask to have this thread moved to the geocoin forum: Eartha or Flying Spaghetti Monster will be happy to do it. There are a number of threads there that ask for suggestions about proposed geocoins. And you can get a sense for how well your design might be accepted outside the local area.

Overall, I think this is a very nice concept :(

I like the idea of the poison oak leaf replacing the generic symbols. It was mentioned in an earlier post, but I wasn't sure how to fit it in. This would be the perfect way to do it. Also, there would be no oval in the design. I just put that there to show how the ocean would be colored. I was actually thinking of coloring the central coast gold or green (the primary colors of our coast depending on the season). It would have its own icon, and be done in two finishes. That means at least 250 coins.

I also thought about a custom prefix, because I could probalby pull it off with the series (need 1000 coins). Problem is, what prefix? Can't use CC or CA, so there didn't seem to be anything else that fit.

I do have a specific question: what is the preference on numbering the coins? Keep it or lose it?

I will eventually post in the geocoin forum, but I wanted to start here to give the locals first crack on design. Once the has been enough opportunity for local input and the design is worked out, then I would post in the other forum to check on interest/demand or other design suggestions. (So moderators, please do not move this thread!) Meanwhile, I have decided to go ahead with a personal coin first, so that will appear in the geocoin forum in the near future.

Thanks for the reply CM, you have a lot of good suggestions/advice!

Here is the image with the PO.

96f80cec-52ad-41cd-81e8-6b55331fed1d.jpg

Edited by SLO Trekker