City Navigator vs. City Navigator NT

gunpowder

Looking to get this software for my PC and GPSmap60CX. In another thread I was encouraged to get NT as it was more compressed.

Why have both versions? If NT is more compressed why have the regular model? I assume both are identical except for the compression and will work on any models and PC configurations?

The NT version only works on certain GPSr models...

From the Amazon.com description:

"The Garmin MapSource City Navigator North America NT Version 8 is designed for use with StreetPilot 2720, 2730, 2820, 7200, 7500 and the StreetPilot C-Series. It's also compatible with the StreetPilot i-Series, iQue 3000, M3, M4, Quest 2 and various handhelds such as GPSMAP 60Cx/60CSx/76Cx/76CSx and eTrex Legend Cx/Vista Cx."

So, it apppears that the NT version only works on the "x" models of handhelds...

I have it for my 60 CSx and instead of loading individual sections of states to get a whole state, I can load...for the most part...entire states for very little memory space. On my 64 MB microSD card, I have the whole states of Missouri, Arkansas and Kansas.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Answering own question:

From FAQs Thread:

Whats the NT compare to non NT version

1. Maps are the same

2. POI are the same

3. Size are not the same

4. NT can not be used on old units.

So what are the sizes and number of map tiles

City Navigator North America v8 309Maps 1633MB

City Navigator North America NT v8 63Maps 946.6MB

City Navigator Europe v8 216Maps 1809.5MB

City Navigator Europe NT v8 197Maps 1098.4MB

This tells that NA NT fits a one GB chip, but not europe NT

There are bigger difference for the size of the tiles in NA compare to the Europe.

What is NT

NT is a new technology from Garmin to compress the maps.

Because the maps are compress it need some CPU power from the GPS to uncompress the maps.

It may be some slower but not visible for the user.

Should I use NT map?

Yes if the price are the same and your GPS support it.

Another post said:According to Garmin Sales: "NT was designed to be used with the in car systems, and the outdoor units do not have the same indexing abilities using the NT compression system. The information is all the same, however you cannot allegedly perform a find nearest querry using NT on an outdoor unit, or search by name (if i recall the conversation correctly). They STRONGLY recommended i get the non NT version for my 76 CSx."

But this was countered later in the thread.

Anyone have comments?