Member Number 1,000,000

Cornerstone4

In a topic in the website forum yesterday, the subject of account numbers came up. It was pointed out that we are nearing account #1000000. That's a lot of accounts! :)

Granted, many of those are sock-puppets...and many new sock puppet accounts will probably be created in the next few days, but we should roll over soon!

When I checked this morning, we were at Account 998976.

That is several hundred over yesterday's number, so we will probably roll over within a day or two tops!

Who will it be?

Do they get a gold Signal? :)

Where do you go to find out the last person that registered for PM? I thinking about becoming a PM, Maybe I'll to be the 1,000,000 person. LOL I just got to time it right.

If you click on anyone's name, it will take you to their profile. Up in your address bar, the last bit of info on the address is the member number. Highlight that, and change it...right now you can change it to 998991 at it will show you the last member signed up. If you increase it, you will eventually get to a non valid number, and you will know we aren't there yet!

As of this post....1009 memberships until the 1 Meg mark!

Ok, I'm confused. You can creat a many sock puppet accounts as you want. Just don't pay for them. So this brings the number up. So this is like a war to see if you can get the 1,000,000 account. If not, what excatly are you guys doing?

We're kidding. I'm not setting up a bunch of accounts.

Just poking fun at 'non'-accounts. There ain't no million cachers, just Member Number 1,000,000

edit: well no registered million cachers,

Edited by BlueDeuce

Ok, I'm confused. You can creat a many sock puppet accounts as you want. Just don't pay for them. So this brings the number up. So this is like a war to see if you can get the 1,000,000 account. If not, what excatly are you guys doing?

It does not cost anything to have an account. My two kids both have non-premium accounts. They sign their names on the logs we find, but they don't really care to log them online.

Sock-Puppets are accounts folks use for varying reasons...some nefarious, others are ok. For example, many of the reviewers have a separate reviewer account, and log their caching activities on their personal account.

The most common use of the term Sock-Puppet though happens when someone starts posting inflammatory statements in the forums. They use the fake accounts to try and remain anonymous...though they usually get caught anyway. <_<

I have a second account just because I though of a name I liked, and thought I may use it some day. I've only made one forum post with it, but I would like to make a coin with that account someday...it has cool possibilities. :D

We're kidding. I'm not setting up a bunch of accounts.

Just poking fun at 'non'-accounts. There ain't no million cachers, just Member Number 1,000,000

edit: well no registered million cachers,

I was really, really bored one day. My member number is 152123. I said to myself, "self, how many people do you suppose joined on 19 August, 2003?" So I goofed around a little, and the answer was about 250 accounts created on that day. Funny thing is I noticed a good 75% of the accounts were never used at all, or became very casual cachers at best. Very few people like me who went on to become fanatics. Not sock puppets, just loads of people sign up for stuff for no reason, and lose interest quickly.

I was really, really bored also, so I figured out the members for the day we registered. August 25, 2003.

Registrations: 363

Active Members (within last six months): 95 (26%)

Registered only (one day): 103 (27%)

Non-active (no activity in the last six months): 175 (47%)

Just worthless information, but it shows how many people don't stick with geocaching over time.

I was really, really bored also, so I figured out the members for the day we registered. August 25, 2003.

Just worthless information, but it shows how many people don't stick with geocaching over time.

Wow, someone who is as interested in worthless statistics as me!! Thanks for providing some real numbers, rather than me just saying so. :D But it looks like my memory was working for once. Man, 1,000,000 accounts ain't nothin'! Consider just the U.S.A., with a population of 300,000,000 and this is all still just an obscure, fringe hobby. And it's safe to assume well under 1/2 of the accounts created are "active" i.e. even logged into the website within the last 6 months. Cripes, you'd figure the lame micros wouldn't even start happening until at least 5,000,000 members. Sorry, can never resist a wisecrack on that one. <_<

You'd have to figure if there were 300-400 accounts per day happening in 2003, there has to be at least twice as many now, and this thing is going to happen tomorrow. :D

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I know I'm going to bored out of my skull at work today... so I may try and figure mine out :(

PS. I think your numbers add up to 373 rather than 363

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default.aspx?id=999861 at 2:54pm Eastern (We should break 1,000,000 by 5pm!)

I also checked the numbers of all cachers who joined the same day as me, August 31, 2003.

Of 378 total:

Active -- 110 have been to the website in the last six months. (29%)

Account Only -- 109 registered only and haven't been back to the website since that day. (29%)

Non-Active -- 159 have not been to the website in six months. (42%)

I wish it wasn't raining and I could go out caching...

Edited by OzGuff

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default.aspx?id=999861 at 2:54pm Eastern (We should break 1,000,000 by 5pm!)

I also checked the numbers of all cachers who joined the same day as me, August 31, 2003.

Of 378 total:

Active -- 110 have been to the website in the last six months. (29%)

Account Only -- 109 registered only and haven't been back to the website since that day. (29%)

Non-Active -- 159 have not been to the website in six months. (42%)

I wish it wasn't raining and I could go out caching...

I had 543 register the same day as I did. Haven't had the will to go through and count all the active, registered only, and non-active from my day. Maybe tomorrow if work is boring again.

In the 24 hrs since I posted, 755 accounts have been created. 129 left for the 1million mark.

By that average there were 31.5 counts created per hour... If the average holds, then at approximate 7:15pm Eastern time, we should hit the 1million mark.

I would venture to say we will see an increase in the rate as we get closer. As much as I'd like to see it be an actual new cacher on that account, I am guessing some folks will be grabbing extra accounts trying to get the number...

Though why they would want it, I don't know. Does it matter, other than as the answer to a trivia question?

(However, for some reason I am watching the numbers march ever upward...) (999907 at last check.)

And Signal is 480460. Which is not unusual. What's unusual is that's an awful high number for a charter member. :(

I think Signal knows people who know people...

46 to go.

Rothstafari 172

Moun10Bike 24

hydee 102826

mtn-man 3512

Edited by OzGuff
I'm a nobody.

OK, maybe the puppymonster thinks I'm somebody. :(

So what does that make hydee? :(

The Queen Of Frogs Everywhere.

Signal's Mom.

The Greatest Geocacher I Know.

My Boss. <_<

(Does Jeremy read the forums? <_< I hope not. I may need to edit my post.)