Logging etiquette?

archi77

I'm new. Very new. 1 find thus far (going out this afternoon after 2 or 3 locals, though...) I was reading a current thread on deleting logs, because the owner of the cache didn't like the log.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=158053

So are there any written in stone rules about what to log, how to log, format, length, etc? Obviously, common sense says no profanity, ethical gaming says don't give it away, etc. but what are the rules? Or, more importantly, what and how do all of you veterans log your finds?

Curious minds want to know...especially if people are deleting the "TNLNSL" logs...

Thanks!

There is no standard or community practice - within the confines of polite and civil behavior write what you want without regard to what you may think we want!

Some caches I sign and don't log online.

Some I write a brief note in the cache log and expound upon online.

Tonight I am leading a 12-15 person caravan on a 54-mile 30-cache night run, we'll write "Team Bama, TFTC, 3/10/07" or something like that, a single signature for the group in the cache log, and each of us will likely write quite different online logs, as long as each mentions they were part of Team Bama (or whatever name we'll make up tonight). If I log them at all it will be with a cut-and-paste "Found with Team Bama, thanks for the hide!" online.

The poster you mention who is considering deleting logs because he doesn't like what was written is way off base, though indeed that is his right - the owner of the cache owns the logs and can set pretty much whatever rules for logging that they want to.

I've logged a couple thousand and cache with others who have many more - I don't know of anyone that has had their log deleted over something as silly as leaving "TNLN Thanks for the hide!"

Enjoy the game, and don't sweat over this kind of thing!

Just tell us how you found the cache? is it still in good shape? Did you enjoy the view? Did you have fun? What did you trade with? for? How was the weather? was someone with you? Did something happen on the way?

Tell your story. Those are the logs I like the best. But no rules I know of beyond the common sense ones you mention.

There is no standard or community practice - within the confines of polite and civil behavior write what you want without regard to what you may think we want!

Some caches I sign and don't log online.

Some I write a brief note in the cache log and expound upon online.

<snip>

Enjoy the game, and don't sweat over this kind of thing!

Cool to find someone who logs the same as i do.

After nearly 400 finds, and experiencing several (minor) 'run-ins" with cache owners who for whatever reason did not like my logs, I have found the above policy basically to be the best way to go.

I always log FTFs and TBs. Other than that I only log those with which I have an interesting experience that I choose to share.

The fact that i did not log a cache online does not in any way indicate that i did not enjoy the cache or the hunt. I simply have found that the less said, the less aggravation potential. - - - Now if i could only learn that for the forums. :laughing:

The guy wanting to delete logs tonight is the same one screaming about censorship and freedom of speech tomorrow. Logs should be deleted for tos violations and unacceptable infringement of established social standards. Not because of a few acronyms. I always try and leave a positive remark, unless, of course, the cache condition was less than disappointing. In which case you should follow the old rule that "if you don't have anything nice to say, leave a crappy little acronym". :laughing:

smaller.jpg

X

...the owner of the cache owns the logs...

Wrong.

The owner of the cache can't edit the log. In fact, "delete" is a misnomer. The cache owner does not delete the log when you press the delete button. It doesn't go away, it only gets detached from the cache.

In fact, this is a mechanism I use when I write about a problem on a cache. I go to the individual log page and bookmark it. If the owner "deletes" the log and never takes action I can forward the log entry, even though it is "deleted," to admin for further action.

Also, if the cache owner decides to list his cache on another site, the TOU of this site prevents him from also moving the logs of others over. The logs are not the property of the cache owner. They remain the property of the author.

Curious minds want to know...especially if people are deleting the "TNLNSL" logs...

It's also a good idea to pay attention to the type of hide and not post any spoilers. Some folks don't care, but other care very much. It hard to know who is who so it's better to play it safe.

Not that you'd do it, but if you do hunt a cache at an inappropriate time, don't blab about in the log. In fact, don't post N-E-THING that would or could put the hobby in a bad light. The best bet is to not do the bad thing, but if you do don't blab about it. Post about such activities on one of my caches and the log gets deleted without warning and maybe without explanation. Some land owners and stewards do monitor caches and it's not a good thing when you're asking for permission and they spin the monitor around and point out some embarrassing logs.

I'm usually not too verbose, especially when it comes to logging my cache. Usually, I'll just put 'Quick find' if it was, or TFTC or something like that.

Occasionally, I'll put something into it, like this one:

Third try, I'm afraid to say; but, at least one of those was when the cache was missing. Then, tromp around looking. Uh, oh! Muggle - try to look inconspicuous while 20' off the trail.

Okay. They're out of sight. One last thought (this is a Sunshine Gang cache, after all!). Oh, the dog did his business there!

The more caches I find of yours, the more (good naturedly) bad names I want to call you!

They're devious. This one was taped to a stick, and stuck into a hollow log. Wow - what a tough find.

I did have one that got deleted because all I put in was TFTC. But, that was because the rules for logging the cache required you to lie about it. Didn't really want to lie about it, but I did re-log, following the directions.