Hello and advice

Yesterday I went out with my 2 children to find our first Geocache, we did not gfo that far only over to Macclesfield area. But could I find it? No! Did I choose a hard one to discover? Or was it just being a beginner?

The area is nice though and that was a plus for our day out.

Pippa

Hello colour bax and welcome to caching

If you look on the cache page that you attempted you should see some stars which will tell you the difficulty level of the cache, it will also tell you the terrain, we usually recomend people start with 1 1's (1 star for each) The cache page should also tell you the size of the container, micro's are very small and are harder to find then say an ammo box. Do try again choosing an easier cache. You could also try posting for help on the adopt a newbie thread ( I looked through it and emailed a locar who had previously offered to help in my area) and a local cacher may offer to come out with you to offer advice.

I hope this helps

Fiona :D

Edited by The Nutters

The cache is call Heron's Rest,...

I did that cache a month or so ago. It is a little tricky to find as it is quite small and a sneaky(ish) hide. I'm sure the cache owner would give you an extra clue if you e-mail them through their profile.

As others have said, it may be an idea to try to find a larger cache to start with. They are usually easier to find and should have a lot more swaps inside.

Good luck with the hunt :D

Edited by Nediam

Tell us which it was and I am sure someone will come on here to give you some help! :angry:

Crikey - I've just seen your profile and you may be trampled in the stampede to help!!! :D

indeed! :blink: and i see that my favourite caching vehicle is listed... ideal for those FTFs...

Having a dual 'nationality' of cheshire and london, (and knowing what us men are like :angry::sad: ) you should have plenty of offers of help! We're in the south of london/north surrey, and are always happy to help, and cheshire is certainly well covered with helpful cachers!

good luck! have you thought of attending any events?... :huh:

Dave

The cache is call Heron's Rest, which is just to the east of Macclesfield, and Mr Stead you are cheeky :-)

Too right - and if I was not 70 and happily married I might have followeed up! :D

But seriously I do hope you have better luck with your next hunt. I don't know Heron's Rest, sorry.

If you want to meet cachers hopefully someone will contact you but you might like to go to one of the "events" which are usually family based friendly informal affairs. The next one is on Saturday of next week near Chorley (see GC11372) and if that is too far then HazelS has arranged a camping event near Little Budworth on the weekend 18th - 20th May (GC10BFK) - you don't need to camp and will be very welcome if you just drop in.

Do enjoy your caching - lots of people find it good for giving the kids something to do in the countryside.

So Mr Pineapple, what is your favourite caching vehicle? I hope it would not be my XKR that is strictly a run around!

I will see if suitable offers of caching arrive, without smutty undertones!

What are events? How do I find out about them?

Pippa

The wildcat of course! surely the best there is! Oh, and I'm afaid the smutty undertones are about par for the course on here - must be all the fresh air we get! (or should that read 'because of the air we get fresh'?!)

As to events, most of them will have a thread on these forums somewhere, but I find the best way is to go to your main profile on geocaching.com and click the link to list newest in united kingdom. The events (being for dates in the future) will be at the top of this list. I know of at least one in cheshire thats coming up!

Good luck!

Dave

Mr Pineapple

The Wildcat is just purely for "FUN", it is so powerful and handles as good as I give it, which believe me is 100%, as I have driven Rally since I was 18.

I have the Wildcat Signature block in mine, so is very fast, probably too fast for most, but driving is my passion, and fast Offroad is so thrilling, I love the buzz of nearly bending the fender :-)

I will look up these events, and if they fit in with my heavy work schedule will attend 1 or 2

Pippa

Hi colourbox

I live not too far away from you in northwich, and have quite a few caches published in the area, will be ready to give you any advice or help you need.

Alot of people started in our area with my cache at Anderton boat lift " An Uplifting Day out" which is nice and simple, there are plenty of others around northwich too on towpaths of the weaver or trent and mersey canal.

just email me and we will get in touch

Hi

I live in Macclesfield and have been geocaching for nearly a year now. I have to say I have not tried Heron's Rest but I notice that it is a micro which probably is a hard one to try for your first cache. Why not try the two in the Bollin valley as they are both quite easy? They are "Step Into Cheshire - Riverside Park" (GCY98E) and "By The Bollin" (GCWAZB) (Highly recommended :rolleyes: )

Good luck

Tell us which it was and I am sure someone will come on here to give you some help! :rolleyes:

indeed! and i see that my favourite caching vehicle is listed... ideal for those FTFs... Having a dual 'nationality' of cheshire and london, (and knowing what us men are like ) you should have plenty of offers of help! We're in the south of london/north surrey, and are always happy to help, and cheshire is certainly well covered with helpful cachers!

remember that the 'purple pineapple' are the team that set the first of the X series caches - true brain grinder!!! - so if anyone can help - they can!!!

Tell us which it was and I am sure someone will come on here to give you some help! :huh:

indeed! and i see that my favourite caching vehicle is listed... ideal for those FTFs... Having a dual 'nationality' of cheshire and london, (and knowing what us men are like ) you should have plenty of offers of help! We're in the south of london/north surrey, and are always happy to help, and cheshire is certainly well covered with helpful cachers!

remember that the 'purple pineapple' are the team that set the first of the X series caches - true brain grinder!!! - so if anyone can help - they can!!!

very kind of you m'lud! solving them is a different matter though, and there's plenty of yours giving me brain-ache!!

All things considered, i shall be very interested to help! :rolleyes:

I read this thread last night and could see that John Stead was getting all excited ! But I thought I would let it run for a bit before posting the first message questioning the validity of this cacher.

So who is it ? £5 on Mr Mars Bar - I heard he likes wearing pink dresses!

I notice neither LollyBob nor Pop Up Pirate have appeared on this thread yet. Something is afoot methinks. hmmmm B)

Not me :P Mind, you've replied so that only leaves Mr Mars Bar B)B):PB)

I have to admit that I did think it was lead boots PUP!

I did ask the aged chocolate bar about this but he denies all knowledge about it, mind you, he agrees with me that this has the mark of a LollyBob or a PopUp about it :P .

If she'd been wearing pink then there would be no doubt about it whatsoever eh Lolly? :ph34r:

"A Sock is a wonderful thing. It can warm a foot, that's for sure. Better yet, it can become a zillion different critters. Sock puppets are easy to make.

Method 1

All you need to do is start with a sock.

1. Put the sock on your hand so that your fingers and thumb are in the toe and the back of your wrist is in the heel.

2. To make room for your puppet's mouth, make a slit in the sock between your thumb and fingers.

3. Cut an oval 3 inches across and 5 inches long...make that 2 ovals, one of posterboard or milk bottle plastic-something semi rigid and one of fabric.

4. Glue the fabric oval to the posterboard (rigid) oval with white glue.

5. After the glue has begun to dry, fold them in half the short way.

6. Sew folded oval into your sock. Finally, your puppet can talk.

7. Now the fun begins! What your puppet becomes depends on you. Think eyes, hair, ears, hats, moustaches, beards, eyebrows, noses, collars, neckties, GC.com badges, shirts and dresses.

These puppets are fun and extremely loveable. Try Them." :) (nicked from some website somewhere but not looking for financial gain so who cares :wub: )

Method 2

Put simply ... log onto GC.com and you know the rest.

These particular sock puppets however are not always quite as loveable. :wub:

"A Sock is a wonderful thing. It can warm a foot, that's for sure. Better yet, it can become a zillion different critters. Sock puppets are easy to make.

Method 1

All you need to do is start with a sock.

1. Put the sock on your hand so that your fingers and thumb are in the toe and the back of your wrist is in the heel.

2. To make room for your puppet's mouth, make a slit in the sock between your thumb and fingers.

3. Cut an oval 3 inches across and 5 inches long...make that 2 ovals, one of posterboard or milk bottle plastic-something semi rigid and one of fabric.

4. Glue the fabric oval to the posterboard (rigid) oval with white glue.

5. After the glue has begun to dry, fold them in half the short way.

6. Sew folded oval into your sock. Finally, your puppet can talk.

7. Now the fun begins! What your puppet becomes depends on you. Think eyes, hair, ears, hats, moustaches, beards, eyebrows, noses, collars, neckties, GC.com badges, shirts and dresses.

These puppets are fun and extremely loveable. Try Them." :) (nicked from some website somewhere but not looking for financial gain so who cares :huh: )

Method 2

Put simply ... log onto GC.com and you know the rest.

These particular sock puppets however are not always quite as loveable. :wub:

Are you auditioning for Blue Peter? :wub: