Hiker Girl Tattoo

I just recently got my 2nd tattoo, this one I wanted to celebrate my first year at geocaching as well as hiking. It helped to celebrate my #650 find also.

Does anyone else have a tattoo that is associated with the outdoors (hiking, camping, geocaching, etc..)?

IMG_1062.jpg

Kudos on the tat! There are those who do not 'get it' and that's cool.

We each have one tattoo, though they are not related to caching. Mine is a large brown recluse spider on my back at the base of my neck and my wife has a rose on her ankle. Her's is purely decorative while my spider has a personal significance.

In regards to a geocaching related tattoo I have been thinking of getting a compass rose/navigational type of tat on the back of my calf.

I don't have geocaching tattoos but I do have two. One is on my chest, I thought about what I wanted for 12 years. After 3 kids it looks more like a cow skull than a buffalo skull (things kinda stretched out over the years) :huh: but I still love it. I don't want to stretch out my Black Hills Gold wedding ring since I've gained weight over the years so I have a beautiful Celtic pattern around my left wrist. They say the fingers aren't the most choice spot for tattoos. So, instead of having a wedding ring I have a wedding band that I see clearly every day. :rolleyes: If I'm still as enthusiastic about geocaching 15 or so years from now I will probably have something inked involving it. I still can't find that CHOICE flash art commemorating genealogy, though.

SNIP

In regards to a geocaching related tattoo I have been thinking of getting a compass rose/navigational type of tat on the back of my calf.

I do have a tattoo that is caching related. I didn't get it only because of caching -- but for travel in general. It is a compass rose. I found a nice design using a Google image search then embellished it to my liking.

CompassTattoo.jpg

Please note: This is a pic I just took with my cel phone in order to reply. The actual tat looks nicer than this picture turned out. :)

Edited by OuttaHand

I have known Dark Star for over a year. I told him about this topic last night at a Dinner Event knowing about his tattoo that is geocaching related. I see this is his first post to the Forum. He is quite a talented young man. He designed the Logo for Geowoodstock 4. The Texas Longhorn with a bird on one horn.

My first tattoo came after boot camp 1986. Everyone told me I'd regret it.

1988 I got my second and third tattoo's. Everyone told me I'd regret it.

2002 I got y next tattoo. Everyone told me I'd regret it.

2003 I got my next tattoo. Everyone told me I'd regret it.

I don't regret a single one. Yes I'll get more. I think one that represents this part of my life will include Geocaching.

My only advice is that if you have to ask advice on a tattoo.....don't get it. When something means something to you.,......and that subject has to do with your tattoo, and that is surely what you want....GO FOR IT.

If you look for approval in what another has to say about YOUR tattoo....Move on. Ink isn't for you.

I chose my compass rose (see above pic) because it means a lot to ME.

Growing up, my family did a lot of camping. We've set up camp in about 27 different states and have driven through many others. We've also camped in Canada and have traveled to the Caribbean. So I grew up travelling a lot and really grew to love it.

One thing I enjoy is to look at maps of places I've been, or places I plan to visit. In doing that, I have seen a lot of compass roses. You see them on everything from old nautical charts to modern maps. It used to be the one artistic thing on a map. The artist who drew the map would "sign" it with his own design on the compass rose.

Obviously, the compass rose is also associated with Geocaching. I've really taken to this hobby/activity/sport/obsession so I wanted something that was related to it in some way.

So when I started thinking of getting ink, the first thing that popped into my mind was a compass rose. It just had to be the right one. So I searched Google images and came up with dozens of them. None was just quite right. But one was close. I took that one that was close and re-worked it just a bit until it suited me just right. It was shortly after that I stopped at the tattoo shop, asked how much, and made the appointment.

Now one poster said something above that's very true: This is YOUR tattoo -- not someone else's. You have to choose what's right for YOU and know for sure it's what you really want. There's no second guessing here. You don't want to take someone else's advice and then, later, find out it wasn't right for you!

I guess one of my tattoos is cache relate after a sort. It's the symbol on my sig item one I sometimes use it as a avatar.

This is on my right arm. (Of course the blue backgroud is skintone on my arm. :laughing: )

Symbol2.jpg

I love this!! I had looked hard at dreamcatchers but have decided my next one will be a Native American looking bull skull.... I have the $$ but need to make the appointment to get it done. :laughing: